Just Flight Piper Turbo Arrows vs Piper Arrow III

@Zeppos will not be disappointed at all. The turbo version can easily do 20-30+ faster at higher altitudes. In my video at max power at 12,000 feet there was a 40 knot difference in TAS over the Arrow III and Turbo Arrow but that is running max power which you absolutely can do in the real world (but wouldn’t want to do all the time or at all). When I flew the Turbo Arrow in the real world I took it to 11,000 feet and had 165 knots TAS where a non-turbo Arrow would probably only get 135 up there if it could get there. The turbo made a significant difference. The book states the Turbo Arrow IV can achieve 176 knots TAS at 12000 feet.

2 Likes

I tend to fly the Arrow III at either 7,500 or 8,500 depending on my direction of flight. I am at WOT and 2350 to 2400 rpm, leaned for best power. I get 135 TAS or a little better on a day that’s not too hot or cold (between 10 C and 15 C at altitude.) 6,500 is about as low as I ever fly unless it’s a short hop.

I’ve only tried to climb to “Oxygen Required” altitudes twice. The little Piper doesn’t seem to be real happy much above 10,000 feet. I just plan my flightpath so it doesn’t intrude on Class B airspace and enjoy the scenery. :slight_smile:

The Turbo Arrow will make it nice for flying right over the top of Class B airspace on a cross-country journey.

1 Like

It does depend where you fly. On a flight from Vancouver to northern Canada the standard Arrow struggled not to scrape paint off on the ridges. Pottering around the Caribbean however, the turbo will make little difference.

IOW, the Turbo isn’t about extra speed per se, it’s about allowing the plane to climb to higher altitudes, where, due to efficiency of flying in the thinner air, and typically higher wind speeds the higher you go, the plane ends up being faster at the higher altitudes (when you’ve got a good tailwind :wink: ). The turbo does not inherently add more power in the same altitudes as the normally aspriated Arrow. It can just climb to and operate at (much) higher altitudes.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the feedback, all. Apart from the actual TAS speed, my main issue is that Arrow III doesn’t like very much altitudes above 8000’ when it’s loaded with a few hundred lbs of cargo. Like I said I’m not usually flying for sightseeing but to complete OnAir missions, which typically have 300-500 lbs of payload (e.g. 2-3 passengers) and I’m often finding it exceedingly difficult to reach FL100 or above in relatively flat areas of sea level. I assume that the extra power available via the turbo engine will make things easier.

1 Like

That’s exactly it - the turbo doesn’t increase the power of the engine down low but it ensures that the engine power doesn’t drop as altitude increases until you reach much higher altitudes.

2 Likes

precisely this.
you can get higher with a much better rate of climb as you will not be MP limited.
I tend to prefer flying around US pacific north west, Austrian and Italian Alps and a turbo is very very very (did I say very?) welcome.

1 Like

Finally available!
Purchased… Downloaded… Installed…
It is time to take her for a spin! Looking forward to it :smiley:

I have this problem with custom livery

2 Likes

Tested with level flight at 14,300’ by the altimeter (no idea what the pressure altitude was) with 2475 rpm manifold 38 inches, mixture 22% (just rich of peak) … so a tiny smidgeon under max rpm and manifold

I was getting an IAS of 140 kts (according to ASI) and a TAS of 175 kts (according to tablet) .

The TAS matched the GPS which reported groundspeed of 170 kts with a 5 knot headwind.

1 Like

How do I apply the discount if I already own the regular arrow? On the just flight website there only seems to be the $44 single aircraft purchase, or the $65 package deal…

First impression of the Arrow IV… very stable pitch during climb to cruise. “Set it and forget it.” 90 kts IAS the entire climb; averaged just under 800 fpm. Leaned for maximum fuel flow the entire climb (gotta stay on that.) Climb power set @ 34" MP and 2500 rpm. Level at 10,500 with cruise power @ 28" MP and 2300 rpm. Fuel flow tells me 11 gph and 75% power. I’m getting 143-145 KTAS at that altitude and power setting, leaned to just shy of best power.

1 Like

If you log in and go to the original purchase order where you download updates there should be a code to apply to the final purchase.

Go into your account and “view orders.” In the details for your Arrow III purchase you’ll find a discount code, plus, you can use the JF rewards points. These two A/C cost me $13+ USD… that’s one heck of a deal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s moving alright! Cruising above 13,000 feet with a ground speed of 194 (with a 18 knot tail wind component, 10 knot left crosswind component) in the Turbo Arrow IV.

p.s.: something for the wishlist, Asobo: please let us save the custom registration per livery. I keep forgetting to change it and the wrong reg shows up in the cockpit for aircraft with a baked in reg.

EDIT: finished my maiden flight. Either this is an airfield for RC planes or the runway width at WN41 is ridiculous …

2 Likes

Really a joy to fly in high mountain terrain :slight_smile:

A bit weird is that the small window doesn’t have any frame when opened, I noticed that on pre-release videos already. Not sure if the real thing looks this way. I like the border of the regular Arrow a little better.

Unfortunately the mixture behavior is still off, like in the regular Arrow III, I had to go with Mixture at 19% (!) to get the 75% best power cruise setup. 16% for the 55% power cruise.
Thats uncomfortably close to cutoff and also the mixture lock wouldn’t allow you to go below 40% at all.

Also at least on the Turbo Arrow IV the lights are a bit off - the white nav lights on the tail are turned 45° to the left (clearly visible due to the non-centered reflection on the elevator) and the red dome light is visible from the exterior view even if it’s off.
I reported these to Martyn already.
But so far it behaves very well, has a great TAS and climb rate… I like it a lot.

3 Likes

The storm windows looks so ugly in VR since the glass has no volume. I do not understand why they did not add a little frame.

Also, another little bug is the manifold gauge, when you turn the light on, the green color dissappear… Weird.

But for the rest, a wonderful aircraft for MSFS!!

New Release Turbo Arrow 0.1.1 available Now:

v0.1.1 (30/05/21)

• Cockpit texture resolution no longer reduced by the sim
  • Custom registration decals fixed
  • Turbocharger logic improvements
  • Chocks and tie-downs now prevent movement of aircraft on ground
  • PMS-50 GNS/GTN integration fixes (bundle version)
  • ‘Set Electric Fuel Pump 1’ control assignment is now supported for Honeycomb hardware users
3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

Also, did a flight from Paro to a random strip in the mountains of Nepal, 17800ft and a pleasure to fly :slight_smile:

How do we download this? ive not had an email? Thanks