Just install my RTX 4090 but very poor FPS - Looking for support

Dear guys,

i just install my RTX 4090 but i am seeing very poor FPS performance in the sim. I dont know what is the reason:

here my system specs:

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z490 Ace
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU: RTX 4090
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
SSD: :2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Monitor: Benq pd3200u - which is a 4K 60 Herz Monitor

these are my current graphic setting in KJFK with PMDG 737 on “Ultra”. Please note that i have GPU Scheduling on (as shown in the screenshot) and i have the settings for using Nvidia DLSS 3 (second screenshot) :

the FPS are around 30 with a lot of screen tearing!

if i now switch off the Nvidia Frame generation i see no difference whatsoever. Is this a normal behavoiur? i though the frame generation boost the FPS…

i have seen some videos of RTX 4090 in 4K with similar system specs with around 40 - 60 FPS with ultra settings!

my CPU usage seems to be not into the limit…

my Nvidia 3 D settings are mainly standard, only the power management set to “prefer max per.”

if i turn off the NVIDIA DLSS and set TAA, i gain 1 FPS

did i miss something in the configuration of this card?

does Game mode needs to be active? ( i have this off…)

i appreciate your thoughts and recommendations!

You are massively CPU bound, more than three times the GPU frame time, so messing around with the GPU drivers isn’t going to resolve this. That said, some users have had some luck by turning on GPU-bound features to stop the CPU chasing after the GPU.

But your real “fix” would be a faster CPU to keep up with that 4090.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply, how can i do this?

Turn on GPU related features. One thing you could try would be increasing the render scaling from 100 to 105 etc., and see if you have a corresponding increase in GPU frametime, and drop in CPU time.

You may have heard some users will have a game internally render the graphics at say 4K, but only output 1080p, which can lead to sharper visuals. Here you are doing it for different reasons, but it’s the same process. So at 100 it would be rendering a 1920x1080 image, but at 105 it would internally render 2016x1134.

1 Like

yes i had this on already

Which? There are many. The idea is you get the GPU chugging away being busy, rather than idling around, and shoving CPU use through the roof.

When you turned off DLSS, and you got 1FPS, the other way to look at it is you turned it off, and you didn’t lose any frames…because you have a 4090. It’s next to pointless. It’s purpose is to reduce load on the GPU, but you have a 4090 so you really don’t need that.

1 Like

i was referring to the Hardware accelerated GPU, which others you mean?

What @hobanagerik means is that you have to strive for balance: ramp up the settings that are GPU heavy (like render scale, LOD…) and lower the CPU heavy ones, especially everything traffic related. To date there’s no CPU that can handle traffic related settings “all to the wall”. Scenery density, Photogrammetry are also pretty heavy on the CPU.
Even with a 4090 I would start with a Medium preset and work up those items that are most important for me.

1 Like

Yes, exactly that. Think of a see-saw, with the CPU on one side, and the GPU on the other. Right now the GPU is sitting with its feet on the floor, eating a Twinky.

5 Likes

but if the CPU is bound, why is it only 27% utilization? is this normal?

One of your cores will be running higher than that, that is where the issue lies, and a core reason why we are getting MSFS2024. No pun intended. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CPU bound just means that the CPU is working harder than the GPU.

I have the 3080Ti, so I can’t run DLSS Frame Generation. But, the question is does the sim run fine and smooth, or are there issues? 30fps is full motion video (just like the movies in the theater), and as long as it doesn’t go below 30 you won’t notice any choppiness. However, if it is going below 30, then you may want to change your approach.

I see you have Vsync enabled. If your CPU can’t drive 60 fps, Vsync will default down to 30fps which is what you are getting.

My recommendation, turn OFF Hags, turn off Vsync, turn off DLSS frame generation, enable Nvidia Reflex Low Latency = On + Boost, and keep your Ultra settings. Ultra settings will ensure you stay GPU bound, which is required for Reflex to work properly. Let us know how that goes.

BTW, with Relex set to On + Boost your GPU clock speeds will be kept high (the Boost does this). You don’t need the Power Management setting in the nvidia control panel.

6 Likes

And if you do those one by one, keep written notes of the effects of each, for future reference.

1 Like

TURN HARDWARE ACCELERATION GPU SCHEDULING OFF

• Go to Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings
  • Toggle OFF and reboot your computer to apply changes

But really, as others have said, your CPU is being slammed.
Increase the GPU-bound processes, like TOD and LOD as noted by others.
Turn OFF all Live Traffic.
Turn OFF Live Weather.

See where that gets you.

Are you saying that the game runs better without FG ? Coz if you turn off HAGS you can’t turn on FG.

Don´t forget one of the basic things, even if it sounds stupid (it still happens to me from time to time despite I know it, so G-sync stops working :sweat_smile:): click anywhere on main game screen so that game rendering gets priority. If you are operating other apps windows or you have several screens you can easily lose 10 fps in the readings if game is not focused. Remember MSFS is not running at real fullscreen mode.

Cheers

1 Like

I don’t use Frame Generation, so I wouldn’t know.
I get significantly better performance with HAGS off.

5800X3D
RTX 3090 Ti 24GB

There is a Zendesk article from June 5 that recommends Hags off. DLSS FG sounds like a mix of vsync and MR to me, but I can’t run it. The CPU is the boss, and Hags basically says make the GPU the boss.

Another thing you might try is changing the CPU priority from Normal to High.

Once sim is running Open task manager and select the flightsimulator.exe right click and select Go To Details. Right click the .exe again go to Set CPU Priority and select High. If you see improvement with this setting and want it to always load with High for its cpu priority setting, you can edit the registry to make it permanent:

Back up your registry before modifying.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\FlightSimulator.exe\PerfOptions]
“CpuPriorityClass”=dword:00000003

1 Like

Whsts your TLoD setting. Thats very heavy for the CPU if you have it at 200+. Try 100 and gradually increase and see what the CPU can manage.
FSLT? If so - reduce number of AC etc.