Just install my RTX 4090 but very poor FPS - Looking for support

Thanks for feedback. I just followed your steps leaving in Ultra and i gain 3 to 5 Frames.

is still very weird, if i set my settings to medium instead of ultra i get around 38 FPS, i would expect at least to jump over 48!

1 Like

how do i do this?

thanks just did this, will see if its worksā€¦

Thanks, just tried this, but it does not make any difference. The FPS are some how struck in between 30 - 35. I can changed a lot of settings but i am not seeing any gain in FPSā€¦

1 Like

Just move mouse around cockipt and left click on the windshield for instance. ThatĀ“s enough to force MSFS to get rendering priority. If you see your windows standard icon for the mouse pointer (which never vanishes) then game is not getting priority but windows desktop is getting it instead. If you see gameĀ“s own mouse pointer icon (which typically vanishes after some seconds) then game is getting priority.

Unfortunatelly you need to repeat that process everytime you switch from game window to any other app window, for instance if you operate anything on a third party moving map app which is displayed on a second monitor or even if you have pdf charts open on a window while still using just one monitor. ThatĀ“s disturbing but itĀ“s how game and Windows implementation is. Anything on the foreground still needs to be clicked or Windows desktop will get rendering priority instead of game.

Cheers

2 Likes

What is for me still very annoying is that I have exactly the same system setup (except for a different mainboard) as Marc from the sim hanger

In this Video he doubles the FPS by using the DLSS in 4K

And if I set all the settings are he shows I only get around 35 FPS without seeing zero difference if DLSS is on or notā€¦

This is very weird

Yeah, something is wrong with your CPU load. Your GPU seems to run fine.
For comparison, this is what Iā€™m seeing with an i9 9900k (at 5.1 Ghz) and an RTX 2080, settings mostly in the HIGH to ULTRA range, Render Scale 100 and moderate LOD settings:

If even MEDIUM or LOW settings donā€™t give you ample performance, my only idea would be to check if your CPU is probably throttling down, which might be caused by cooling issues. A benchmark test and CPU-Z would be the tools Iā€™d use. But first Iā€™d try to bring back virtually all settings inside MSFS to LOW and work from there.

1 Like

The real fix is cpu multi threading. I have a i9 13k and still bottleneck like crazy if im at an airport like jfk or lax. I only do TAA as DLSS3 isnā€™t clean enough for my taste. Mix DLSS3 and dx12 artifacts and itā€™s a meh show. Frame generation is only going to help if your frames are stable without constant freezing and fps drops.

1 Like

Hopefully msfs 2024 will help cpu multithreading a lot.

Me too. DCS multi threading update has helped that sim a lot. XP12 also needs the multi treading treatment. Iā€™m sure itā€™s easier said than done though.

1 Like

Wow, you just canā€™t get the settings high enough to make the GPU work. How about increasing the Ultra settings? LOD 200 or max, Object LOD 400, Texture Supersampling 8x8, may even Render Scale up to 110 or 120?

Those will load the CPU, not the GPU.

4 Likes

True. Iā€™d like to see the results though.

1 Like

This is interesting, I never get to see any green color in the FPS display even at low settings. You meant that probably the CPU is running too hot? Wouldnā€™t understand why since I didnā€™t changed the CPU cooler. It was fine before with my 2080tiā€¦

Set the resolution to 1080p, youā€™ll get green with high FPS. But you want to make 4k work, right?

I didnā€™t mess around with these settings and I end up seeing a reduction of FPS to around 25, so it impacted negatively

1 Like

So, itā€™s the CPU that canā€™t go fast enough. Try 1440p.

Yeah 4 k! I had before an 2080ti and it would fine in middle settings. But I was expecting a boost with the 4090 which never came,? So far at leastā€¦

How many watts is the power supply? Also, donā€™t get hung up on FPS. It is smooth? Does it look good? That last screenshot in the thread was at 2560x1080, so not 4k.

Turn the Terrain LOD down to 50, just for testing. Then post a screenshot. Then set TLOD back to 150, but set Renderscale down to 75%, just for testing, and post a screenshot. Terrain LOD is the biggest CPU hog in the sim.