Kitfox flight model patch

I’ve started to modify some of the flight model problems on the BT Kitfox STI.

That’s work in progress, and as I am not an expert in that subject, very approximative.
But as far as it is, plane can now takeoff shortly, land shortly too, and the idea is precisely to have a fun plane to fly with.

7 Likes

Awesome, I tryed to do something, but I couldn’t because of the .fsarchive files !!!

Well it’s still impossible to correct flaps animation, garmin modes, add buttons in the cockpit…

There’s a new release today :
I’ve adjusted a few parameters to try to correct :

• a less powerfull plane with the patch
  • it must stay still with an idle engine and no brake
3 Likes

I can finally test it !!!
Nice, now it’s a STOL plane:)

Some feedback:

• The liveries are swaped, STi is the gray one, I swaped them in the file.
  • Did you change the CG ? When braking, it’s really dificult not overturn. Trent Palmer says he often goes full brakes (Edit: CG didn’t change, but weight changed …)
  • Beside final breaking, landing feels much much better, now it’s a challenge with full flaps, before it was too easy with the engine shutted off
  • Weight and many other things were just a rip-off of the savege cub before, compare the .cfg files :wink:

I’m eager to buy the Kitfox from the people who is collaborating with Trent Palmer, they must have real data from the manufacturer, meanwhile this MOD improves this Kitfox :slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback : I’ve tried something to help ground handling and braking (see new release)

1 Like

After attempting to install the patch, my Kitfox goes missing from my aircraft collection. When I restore the original “layout.json” file, it’s back in the lineup again. Any ideas why it goes missing?

You must also have the “bagolu-kitfox-fm” directory in your community folder, otherwise the airplane is incomplete.
Sorry about the complexity but this is because of the DRM system

Here is my file structure. I copied your layout.json to the original MSFS Official folder as per the instructions. That’s when the kitfox goes missing. Thanks for your help.

To be more precise , I copied your “layout.json” to the “F:\FlightSimulator\Official\OneStore\bt-kitfox-sti” folder. After that the Kitfox is gone from my collection of aircraft. Restoring the original layout.json file restores the Kitfox to the collection.

ok I see the trouble : the zip filename gave a folder with the same name as the subfolder:
This is the subfolder bagolu-kitfox-fm in bagolu-kitfox-fm that should be in community.

So :

• move the bagolu-kitfox-fm you are displaying back to Downloads for ex.
  • Inside this folder (Downloads\bagolu-kitfox-fm) you have :
    • layout.json : put this file in place of the original one (in Official)
    • bagolu-kitfox-fm : put this subfolder (and only this one) in community

The bagolu-kitfox-fm in community should contain directly manifest.json, layout.json, simobjects…
MSFS does not recurse in subfolders of community.

That fixed it, thanks for your help! And thanks for your work fixing the Kitfox.
Cheers

Hey Bagolu,

Great work. Two minor issues :

1. Both GPS screens are black when I entered the plane?
  2. At idle (0% throttle) the engine dies?

Should both of these occur or is there something wrong with my install?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yes I modified thrust to be able to cutoff engines with lever at 0. So you should put a little throttle at idle)

But screens should not be dead… that’s another issue. Maybe an outdated G1000/G3000/GX mod ?

Loaded again and the screens were back! Throttle makes sense, in absence of engine shut-off switch, that will do :slight_smile:
Thanks again, great work.

OMG this is fantastic. Especially compared to the original BT Studio work. BT Studio made a great 3D model but the flight dynamics were bad to terrible. Now I can land on top of Half Dome in Yosemite Park!

There is a new release of the patch :

Compatibility update

This new release supports the last version 1.0.7 from the store (and only this one)
No modification in the flight model have been made.

Install/upgrade notes :
- remove all existing bagolu-kitfox-fm directory in community
- upgrade plane in store to 1.0.7
- copy the layout.json that is in the same directory as the bagolu-kitfox-fm.README.txt over the layout.json that is in pkg/Official/.../bt-kitfox-sti
- copy the bagolu-kitfox-fm folder that is in the same directory as the bagolu-kitfox-fm.README.txt into the community directory (or link it there)
1 Like

With SU5 the kitfox doesn’t have garmin anymore !!! :open_mouth:

Yes, can’t get it to work with any of the WT mod…

Just wondering if anyone has found a fix for the black screens yet? Still having lots of fun flying it!

Well I possibly found the problem but the developer has to do the fixing because the model xml files are encrypted (probably not going to happen as the Kitfox seems abbandoned by the developer)

The template ASOBO_AS3X_Touch has been changed by Asobo to ASOBO_AS3X_Touch_Template so that is probably causing the black screens.
My guess is the Kitfox still uses the old template name in the model xml file for the interior.

2 Likes