KSNA John Wayne airport, Orange County [UK2000]

Stumbled on UK2000’s release of KSNA - Orange County, California’s John Wayne airport:

https://www.uk2000scenery.co.uk/ksna-johnwayne-2022-msfs

also now on simMarket: simMarket: JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT MSFS

I fly here a lot in sim because it’s a mixed passenger/cargo/GA airport in the heart of California’s Orange County (and I grew up there, so still fly there as a passenger regularly!). There’s a freeware scenery, but I’ve been hoping a payware developer would pick it up some time and was curious how it’d go.

So far it looks quite nice! I haven’t done any IFR in/out yet, so your mileage may vary. Performance in a GA plane on the ground is ok, even with the details in the terminal (some parallax, some more detailed stuff as well). Various FBOs, museums etc around the airport grounds are modeled as well.

The website for UK2000 is … not great :wink: and it offers the download over unencrypted HTTP (eek!) but the payment goes via PayPal. They say on their Facebook page that they’ve submitted for Marketplace as well, though it may take a while to clear review.

Couple quick snaps of the air-side and the road-side of the terminal. :wink:

This is UK2000’s first non-UK airport. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For the price it looks to be worth it. It also looks fairly accurate from my time there about two years ago. The tower doesn’t appear to be modeled with transparent glass and interior but the terminal looks nice.

I’ll probably give it a go this evening but am looking forward to some reviews!

2 Likes

I too am looking forward to adding this airport, however I am waiting to purchase it on SimMarket as I like to keep my purchases in one or two places at the most. Hopefully UK2000 will send to SimMarket soon!

2 Likes

Good news – it just hit! :smiley:
https://secure.simmarket.com/uk2000-scenery-john-wayne-airport-msfs.phtml

2 Likes

I just downloaded this airport today along with another on SimMarket. To put this one short, I think that it can be summed up quite quickly in the words of FilbertFlies - UK2000 always seems to manage a feeling of being at the airport, although their airports are far from perfect. In this case, I think this is true. It is a very nice airport in the general sense that now I feel like it is more realistic than the default scenery flying in. They have modeled the FBO apron nicely (at least ACI Jet) and the main terminal looks convincing. The textures are not very high resolution, but it mostly doesn’t matter for what it is.

For the price and given there isn’t anything better (payware), I think it is well worth it if you fly into and out of this airport.

3 Likes

I also grew up in Orange County specifically in Santa Ana borderline of Costa Mesa. I am literally 5 min away from this airport and loved to spot for here. Did my training out of Long Beach however.

It is a really nice add on, one of the things I would like to see fixed are the super bright hold short lights, the ones that are flashing yellow as well as change the flood lights at the terminals to orange as those are the color lights they have over there. It is a bit of a nitpick but would add a lot to the immersion.

4 Likes

I purchased this at the weekend as it is my home airport that I fly out of regularly.

Overall pretty good, but I notice quite a lot of uneven pavement areas. This one is by parking spot 36 I believe. I have version 1.0.0 from the Marketplace.

I also heard there is a ‘static’ and ‘non-static’ version? Where would I get those from?

The uneven pavement might be an underlying terrain issue; ISTR having similar issues with the freeware one too. Hopefully it’s fixable :slight_smile:

Oh - and definitely report it to UK2000 to see if they can pave it over – they’ll be pleased to hear feedback on their few American airports. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I uninstalled the UK2000 mod and checked the default airport, terrain is level in that area.

1 Like

Same here it is really noticeable when taxing the down taxiway alpha, there is this weird, raised bump that when a 737 goes over it, it wobbles like crazy going over it. Other than that, solid, but like I mentioned before, I feel like the runway guard lights are a bit too bright most noticeable at night, and hope to see the apron lights turned to orange as that is the light color used at john wayne.

1 Like

I think the bump extends over to taxiway charlie also, I hit it in a DA40, thought it was going to break the gear!

2 Likes

has this been fixed yet?

No that I am aware of, I don’t think UK2000 has updated their scenery in probably over a year, I have just gotten used to it tbh. As much as I hate seeing it wobble like it does when going over it, I just move on with the flight.

1 Like

It just got an update in the marketplace today along with other UK2000 scenery.

did it fix the bump?

I have no idea where the bump was. I just know it got an updated release yesterday.

Note the vendor’s own downloads don’t have an update since 2022. This may be a packaging cleanup or something, or perhaps they pushed an update to Marketplace but didn’t offer it for download for their own customers?