Landing Tips for A320 Fenix - Full flaps issue

Having trouble on final - gear down and full flaps with autothrottle (not using auto land because it’s nearly perfect weather) and I always get speed warning because we’ve decelerated too much with Autothrottle - am I deploying full flaps and gear too early?

I’m ~7.5 nm when all of a sudden I drop way down on speed and stall out with the nose going down.

1 Like

The airbus does not stall when in “normal law”, as long as you are above 100ft AGL. Before a stall would occur the Alpha Floor protection would be activated and you would get TOGA thrust. Also the airbus has something that is called a Ground Speed mini function (would take too long to explain in detail) that ensures you always have a sufficient “energy level”. It is dependent on the wind you entered in the landing performance page. Make sure that wind is correct.

2/3 times this has happened wind has been <3 knots, direct headwind.
I’ll double check wind, but I set it as part of the decent prep based on the WX the 320 sends me in game. The nose dive to gain speed happens ~2500 feet off the ground when I am flaps full gear down.

Are you physically moving the throttles (Thrust levers) by any chance? after take off and at whatever Alt is set (Default is 1500AGL) the plane will command CLB Thrust at which point you move the thrust levers to the CL detent and never touch them again until you hear the “RETARD” call upon landing, this is normal operations.

If you dont know, Airbus Auto Thrust (Auto Throttle) is not like boeing’s.

The Airbus cant do what you are describing under normal circumstances. You can fly it in to the ground yes, but if you are the Glide Path, even at 7.5NM as long as you are following the ILS or the RNAV approach it wont ever just stall out unless failure or you drive it into the ground.

1 Like

I don’t think I have moved the throttles, but I will keep that in mind on my next flight! Very neat engineering / programming on the throttles.

I am on the glide path, but maybe moving the throttles may have done something on it. Will test tomorrow morning and report back!

1 Like

Even when moving the throttles it would not stall, because the alpha floor protection will come on anyway ( you will get a thrust lock then). The only way an airbus will stall, is when in alternate or in direct law.

Tried this again today. Looks like I have the issue when I deploy flaps full.
Landing 06R CYYZ.
Everything is fine, on glideslide, but I am managing my speed using the knobs rather than managed speed.
I put gear down ~ 140knots, and then flaps full when I am ~3.5nm from RW06R. I engage managed speed again, only to have speed ~ 130knots, causing the nose to dive down to gain speed.

I can post video of landing if it’s helpful…

Tried again and did not touch anything. See comment below.

Hi, I have the same problem and communicated it to Aamir from Fenix via Discord. Lets see if they come up with something.
By the way: landing (also autoland) with flaps 3 is not a problem at all, only with full flaps.

I was having the same problem , i recalibrated my hardware using the honeycomb bravo had a extended range for flaps full. And since then it has been working okay.

Something else that might uave been the fix is i used to run in dev mode and i diabled that.

I post a video below for people to see the problem that the guys here are talking about

I have also sent this to Aamir as did oli so hopefully this problem is fixed for all soon

1 Like

Same here - re-calibrating the flaps again did the trick (using a TM Boeing quadrant). Thanks for coming up with this, xlStuartlx!

1 Like

Glad it resolved your issue for you.

Now to enjoy this bird

1 Like

Why did recalibrating work? I know that Flaps 3 I am fine and Flaps 4 I am not?

Must be a small bug doesnt effect many that u have seen,

What hardware are you using snd have you teied the remedy?

OMG this is exactly me!!!
I don’t run in Dev Mode :confused:

Alas - I tried this and nothing :frowning:

Same here. Full flaps raises the minimum speed to about 160 (red bar in the speed display coming up with full flaps), not very comfortable for landing. Recalibrated the flaps lever (Honeycomb Bravo throttle), not using the full range of the lever, only about 60% from Flaps up to full, this works, minimum speed gets normal.

I will try this and report back! I am using GNX-THQ. Interesting bug if this is the case

Nope - no change for me :frowning: Everything is fine until I put gear down and flaps full ~ 5nm from touchdown :frowning:

Gladiator and GNX-THQ