Last gen tree texture quality

It’s really well done. There’s lots of room for improvement though. :wink:

SkipTalbot

8m

The transitions are already quite noticeable. The trees fade in and out constantly between angles and distances. They pop in the distance.

Not after the next update they won’t. I’ve read the tree draw distance could be as high as 25 miles.

I hope you’re right. But I’ve heard some rumors about the beta that say otherwise. Hopefully, they get it sorted out in time.

That came from a user with access to the beta.

You’re a fan, I have mixed feelings. Some things involving trees (and shadows of trees) need to be improved in MSFS. I see this black pixels (dithering) technique everywhere, that is pixelation of shadows and trees as the main showstopper in nature screenshots. You just don’t want all these black pixel dots, instead of a proper shadow, or proper tree branches…

It turned out to be an enormous challenge, to put any forest screenshot in the recent Rainforest photo challenge. For images taken from high up, the tree distance was a spoiler. Especially in mountain regions. When going down below, e.g. for images closer to trees, it seemed impossible to put a tree in the foreground, from less than 200 feet. Zooming in makes things worse. Winning picture in that challenge was a sunset, with only black contours of trees, along a near hill top… which looks beautiful, because the darkness hides the grainy leafs… there are no shadows… and pixelation disappears !

My opinion: It’s a flight Simuator, you are meant to see the trees from far away. Close up, it’s still acceptable. I haven’t noticed anything bad about the trees.

I would like to encourage you to try out Outerra at Outerra.com. In terms of ground details it’s miles ahead from MSFS but sure can not compete as far as e.g. lighting and other sim aspects are concerned. Worth a try is it definitely.

Set trees and buildings to medium, they morph less and any more is a waste

Two words. Bijan Hibashi

1 Like

But trees to ultra render distance is more far than medium.

1 Like

Same goes for the buildings, they’re way more detailed in Ultra. Of course it’s useless at 30000 ft.

Aha. I haven’t installed that seasons thing yet… are you sure it also replaces the tree shapes also ?

Let’s put a link,

From official youtube video I wasn’t able to judge if the Habashi trees got higher resolution. The video quality is not good enough and it could be that it’s intended. I would assume size is the same but colors are changed. So probably not that of an improvement.

Someone messaged me about this thread.
I am slowly adding real 3d trees in the sim.
They are high quality trees.
There are currently about 150,000 real 3d trees in there and 10,000 trees are being added every week.

4 Likes

Wow that looks impressive. Must kill the framerate, no?

Thank you.
They have been optimized to be fps friendly. Normally you don’t lose any unless it’s very dense and 10000 in one small area but they are normally sparse.

It’s nothing to worry about, specially after July 27 SU5 update which increase performance.

If you place all trees by hand you will be busy for the next 3000 years. Kidding aside, how do you handle your 3d trees in further distance? Do they blend to 2d to save perf? How about making the vanilla trees with doubled resolution? I think they would look much nicer and that all over the world.

Been using this product since it came out, it’s a must have and friendly on frame rates. This is getting constant free updates. Thanks bijanstudio

1 Like

They have a lower LOD than other trees.

Not possible. That feature is locked.

Hi all, closing this topic as it appears to be discussing some of the PerformacePLUS Beta and all 3rd Party discussions should be in #third-party-addon-discussion area of the forum. There are some community #self-service:wishlist topics on trees and photogrammetry you may contribute to.

For those that are in the Beta, a reminder of the NDA.

Please keep 3rd Party addon discussions in #third-party-addon-discussion