Last update, not let select airports or runways

Ok that made it work for me again thanks :slight_smile:

There’s a bunch of updates to various aircraft in the content manager too.

Having the same issue, but there’s no update in the ms store when I click ‘get updates’ or on the flight sim store page. Tried looking in the xbox app as well, no joy.

Same issue here. Did the 4.6 or whatever update and same problems as everyone else. Bit of guess work and opened the MS Store to do a 1.x gb update, open the sim again and back on a 4.84gb update currently. This is all a tad Mickey Mouse and getting old quick. Hardly a professional update…

1 Like

you guys are killing me with this update :rofl:
normally launching sim tells me to go to the store but not this time!!

1 Like

After downloading all the updates, is anyone still having issues in the missions (bush trips, training, etc.) with CTDs?

1 Like

How do I get “all” the updates??? I got the in-sim update, but this other ms store update appears to be rather elusive for me.

Still showing 1.13 in sim, can’t start a flight at all.

Hmm, have you tried this workaround:

• Go to the Windows Store app on your PC.
  • Search for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  • Select the Standard version of the sim. This will trigger an update to the latest version.

Yes I’ve tried that. Also tried logging out of, and back into, the xbox app. Still nothing.

Edit: repaired the msfs app in “apps and features” and the store update pulled down. Installing 1.14 now. Will check a mission once it finishes installing.

Edit2: no issues with the missions, and able to fly.

3 Likes

Shut down and restart your PC.

Owning your own PC has always meant being your own IT support, and this is especially true for flight simmers.

I have helped developed new processes professionally, crazy things happen that no one anticipates and we learned from the mistakes and got better and better at avoiding them as our experience increased.

No one likes mistakes and I’m confident none of them are because someone doesn’t care. I bet they love their jobs and want this product to succeed.

3 Likes

I could not agree more. As maddening as it is when our beloved sim does not work as expected, I am sure the guys at Asobo are putting their hearts and souls and plenty of hard work into permanent development and improvement.

With all it‘s present shortcomings, MSFS is hands down the most immersive and enjoyable sim I have ever flown. And in all likelihood it will only get better over time…

3 Likes

Been there, done that. Yes, I agree crazy unanticipated things happen, but we spent as much time testing as we did coding. We caught unanticipated crazy things in testing long before we turned requested features and improvements over to the users who were paying our salaries. I’m sure someone at Asobo is sad and sorry about their mistake.

I have exactly the same - I’ve already tried everything including Windows updates and drivers etc. As soon as the loading bar of a flight is halfway, I get a CTD without an error message.

I’m looking forward to a quick fix and a hopefully repairing update. It’s just a shame that I have to stop flying for the time being.

So you saying asobo does not test and hasn’t caught anything before it was launched?

Your client expected a working application on day one. Microsoft never promised us that, and instead stated they have invested heavily into continual development into the future.
Now your product has shipped and your company probably doesn’t do crap for the end user unless they pay triple hours.

Affecting me too.

Same old debate on here, but really? Users cannot select an aircraft, airport or runway… in a flight sim?

That’s some pretty basic QA right there, with the huge resources they’ve access to it would be interesting to understand how they could miss something so basic?

If a tester cannot select these how could they test any of the actual updates? Perhaps they use a special interface or version that lets them load straight into scenarios (oh and why did you remove this great feature that was in FSX and force me to use the GFX thrashing 3d UI… 100% CPU on a 2080TI in the clunky Xbox menus!)

Anyway so if you’re reading this Asobo, might want to consider throwing in a new release test script: Start flight. Selecting different plane, airport, parking location and route.

1 Like

I don’t recall saying Asobo does not test. I alluded to the fact that we tested product extensively before delivery. Asobo failed to do that effectively. I’m sure they are under tremendous schedule pressure, but not an excuse. As far the client’s, satisfaction, we were never under a strict delivery date, the client only wanted the product to do what was requested, first time, every time. If additional features were required, delivery schedules were appropriately adjusted. As far as my company goes, I haven’t worked for them for many years. Ever since we stopped making Nuclear Weapons. First time, every time.

The symptom of not being able to select an airport is caused by the updater downloading the content for the new version without first downloading the main sim executable for the new version.

Normally, when the sim is launched, it will inform you that a new update is available and will redirect you to the Microsoft Store to download and install it. If you don’t do that, the sim will send you right back to the store on next launch until such time as as the initial update is installed. The initial update is usually about 1 GB in size for the Store version.

That initial file must be installed before any additional updated content is downloaded.

This did not happen this time. Those who launched the sim after the update went live were not redirected to the store. The sim immediately started installing the new SU3 content (4 to 9 GB) without first insuring the new SU3 executable was already in place. The result: inop world map, inop airport selection, and possibly a CTD.

The solution is to open the store (with the sim not running) and insure the update for Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.14.5.0 is downloaded and installed. Then run the sim. It may require you to download the rest of the main update all over again, but it should fix the problem.

This was not the result of an untested update - it was an untested online installer.

Well then it sounds like you worked in the most perfect dev dream team ever, maybe someone here can get you in contact with Bill and you can tell him how you guys did it.

Thanks for explaining, incidentally I am on Steam and had the same thing, seems like they must have changed something that stopped FS checking the Executable was installed. Ooops, why not have a single combined update anyway, they cannot be run separately?

So I will amend my suggestion: add test script:

Test 1: Run FS. Check update installs. Start flight. Select plane, airport, parking location and route :white_check_mark: