Latest SR-71 Blackbird preview from MilViz

Fan of the SR-71 here, happy to hear it’s progressing along nicely.

A quick question: will there be supporting documentation for this model? I mean, I know there’s the online manual (here if anyone’s curious: SR-71 Online - SR-71 Flight Manual), but it’s 1000 pages long! I guess what I’m asking is if there will be a guide of some sort for the average but enthusiastic MSFS user? A sort of “condensed” AFM/PoH, if you will, for the purposes of flight sim and its obvious inherent limitations vs. IRL.

1 Like

Absolutely, there will be a readable guide for the non-expert, as well as options to limit consequences so that new pilots can learn without constant disasters.

1 Like

With the releases of DCD’s Concorde and Asobo’s Darkstar, the supersonic world is looking better and better in MSFS 2020. I was just curious if there are any updates available on SR-71 development? I’ve always loved the plane but never been interested in flying it until now. I believe it was mentioned on the Twitch stream but my audio wasn’t loud enough so I couldn’t really hear it.

We’re putting the final touches on the model redux (we redid the whole front cockpit and most of the external) and code is, I’d say, about 50-60% done.

8 Likes

I have to ask - will it eventually be available on the Xbox version? Huge fan of this aircraft and would love nothing more than to be able to fly it.

If MS fixes the WASM issue, then yes

Crossing my fingers so hard they hurt.

Can’t wait for this! Will you be adding the Buick Twin V8 start cart? :crossed_fingers::grin::crossed_fingers:

Yup… and some other very cool stuff as well

4 Likes

Awesome can’t wait! SR-71 has been my favourite since I was old enough to remember, nothing has ever came before or after like it. Such an amazing machine :grin:

An SR-71 development sandwich! 🥪

Our lead dev, Dutch, got the chance to hangout with Blackbird pilot Brian, and his WSO, Walt!

We always try to get as much real world hands on experience in our projects to make our birds as authentic as possible!

15 Likes

For anyone not familiar with Brian, please look him up. He has such an amazing story.

He was also a guest on the fighter pilot podcast talking about the SR-71. Highly recommend the podcast (and that episode).

It’s great you guys got to hang out with Brian and Walt!

1 Like

Dude’s wearing a Vandy hat (one of my alma maters). :slight_smile:

1 Like

That must be Maj. (ret) Brian Shul.
Check out his SR-71 speed check story on
YouTube!
If I’m not mistaken he was the first one to use a
digital camera inside the cockpit of a SR-71 inflight.

1 Like

His book Sled Driver is amazing as well.

1 Like

Can’t wait for it :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

And there was me, thinking that MSFS was such an excellent platform for VFR… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Us too! Very excited to share with you guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a beta tester program I could join?

Won’t lie. I’m surprised this aircraft isn’t one that Asobo have decided to ‘partner’ with to make available to everyone for free. I look forward to buying it, however it’s just one of those legendary & iconic aircraft that matches up with the general idea they have in trying to add these great historical aircraft for free. On the other hand, they didn’t with the Concorde for example, so i shouldn’t be too surprised.