Leo Bodnar Encoders

Apologies if this has been covered but I’ve not been able to find anything on this specific issue for this specific controller board. The issue is well known by many - you need to turn the encoder a load of revs to get a relatively small amount of rotation in sim. Tweaking the pulse width has some impact but not much. Some may say I should use a different controller with software control but that is not an option with this project.

Any tips folks?

I had this kind of problems with the first cheap encoder I used on my LB card (ALPS STEC11B02), and I finally bought one CTS 288 wich works perfectly, turning fast gives a fast response (inside the pulses limits)

Many thanks indeed! I hadn’t considered it could be the encoder quality. I have a few and will test some. Although it does seem to pulse quite reliably in joy.cpl and works well in IL2, so I wonder if its the spec. I will compare those two for spec.

CTS288 (Actually I have one of these bought from Bodnar)

Features

• 16 detents per revolution
  • 1 pulse per detent - 1:1 mode in our encoder config software

STEC11B02 (very similar actually)

I’m using Alps alpine EC12E2420404

I have 2 x BBI64’s and a 32 so a total of 160 inputs.
Bodnar boards are fantatsic for MSFS

I have 14 single rotary encoders and 4 dual concentric encoders.

Some encoders are from Leo Bodnar and others are just ebay cheapies.

Using Spad.next is the best solution where if programing let’s say an encoder for altitude, you can set the increment for say 100ft or 1000ft or both options if you have dual concentric encoder.

With Spad.next, you can even assign a local variable, assign that to a push button, and then simply program that so that a single encoder would do 100ft increments when rotated or 1000ft increments if rotated while the push button is held down.

There’s tons of help in the Spad.next forum if you already have this program but haven’t yet grasped the full power of it.

With spad.next of course you can create separate profiles and assign specific aircraft to specific profiles.

Les O’Reilly has done a couple of good YouTube Videos which would help you get started (YouTube - Les O’Reilly)

I hope this helps

Regards Kym H

Mant thanks. Very helpful. I’m going to have a good look at that.