LFMN airport ILS on runway 04R does not line up

When using ILS I am guided in between 04R and 04L (see picture from video at app 1:13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmEw-5LoAug)

It’s correct for that ILS.

But it did not line up correctly. The ILS guided me in between the to runways, not to 04R

It is normal. The ILS on runway 04R at Nice is offset in real life and so in MSFS.
As you can see on the chart here (or even on your chart, it is written “OFFSET LOC” or “RWY AXIS OFFSET”

In Nice, the 04R is used for take-off and 04L for landing :wink:

1 Like

OK, just first time I have seen this in MSFS2020 :slight_smile:
So I am expected to do what I did in the video - get guide in, but at some point, take controls and then adjust so I line up correctly?

No, it did not, thats right.
Thats why i made the arrow on the ILS Chart Screenshot. You can find the solution in there.

Yep, thats correct. But its just a small swingover.

Sorry, still somewhat new to this. And have not worked with the approach plates before :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ILS 04R is incorrect in MSFS (@Sunday748 and @Yan043357 are only partially correct).

It’s the identical problem with e.g. LOWI in MSFS.

The Localizer is left of the runway which is correct, but it wouldn’t make any sense to have the antenna displaced if the inbound course wouldn’t be different.

The Runway heading is 045° for both runways (as is the inbound course for 04L).

The LOC course is 2° different which means it leads you to the threshold of 04R IRL, but at an angle.

It’s not that bad at LFMN where there are no obstacles, but it makes the LOC approach into LOWI impossible in MSFS.

Well…then it’s incorrect in all Flightsims since….minimum….2011. Google LFMN ILS 4R and you will get a lot of Posts of different Sims acc. this issue. They all tell you the same story. I will ask a friend of mine, he is a real Pilot on an A320. Maybe he can tell me how it is in real life.

I don’t know why you need to ask another real pilot if you are able to read approach and airport charts.

IRL and on the charts there’s a 2° difference between the runway heading and the LOC course, which is apparently not the case in MSFS.

It’s the same with e.g. LOWI where it’s a 4° difference IRL.

Interesting to learn. So technically, if MSFS was working as IRL, it would still bring us to the runway and not between 4L and 4R but the aircraft would be in kind of a crab position reaching the threshold ?
I’m not a pro, nor a pilot, just trying to understand your explanation. :slight_smile:
Would that be translated in feeling like we’re aiming for the middle of both runways but slowly drifting to the correct runway the closer we get to the tarmac?

Like with a normal approach you are aiming exactly at the threshold.

That’s the way it looks like and might help in understanding the LOC setup.

lol! always thought the ILS Loc antenna was located near the threshold, thanks for the picture, I get exactly what you mean now :smiley: cheers!

1 Like

The LOC antenna is usually located exactly at the runway centerline behind the opposite threshold and the GS antenna left or right of the runway, ~1000ft from the threshold.
(The faint GS in the picture)

1 Like

Well, I don’t know the Approach in LFMN on my own. I just remember the issue and read the chart.
But you’re maybe right. On 4R you’re not flying down the ILS along the Runway Centerline but with a 2 degree angle of it. That means, that you cross the centerline, most probably near by DH, and you have to have the runway in sight to correct the ILS course to runway course.
Is it that what you mean?
In that case, the Screenshot or better the Approach is wrong in MSFS…… :thinking:

You would cross the centerline exactly at the threshold, but since the minimum is even higher than a normal CAT I minimum (Cat D acft 280ft, which is almost a non precision minimum),
there’s enough time left to adjust the heading when you can see the runway.

1 Like

Or cross at the threshold like your screenshot

1 Like

It happens to me too… only at lfmn (so far).

Funny part is that it happened on xplane too.

The ils doesn’t work in the a320 for this runway at least

Also, since WU4, runway 04r at lfmn is not flat, there’s a sharp bump in the first 500m