Lightning in MSFS needs a visual overhaul

No sadly it didn’t, it was just trailer magic. Also saw lightning bolts still shooting from tiny little clouds.

1 Like

I’ve been doing a lot of storm chasing over the American mid West this summer in the sim. Glad I’m not the only one who thinks the lightning effects need a bit more thought. Its mainly in cloud lighting you see. Occasionally you’ll see fork lightning, but relatively rarely. You certainly never see fork lightning as spectacular as you do in real life. Its an area I’d love to see Asobo improve.

2 Likes

Agreed. I would certainly love to see this garnering more support from the community as more and more realize that lightning needs improvement.

In the previous Q&A’s, they sidelined the issue and mentioned that they have bigger issues to take care of first.

Now with XBOX out of the way, we can hopefully see Asobo prioritizing small but impactful features like these that are important for immersion.

2 Likes

Also agreed.

Although I’d argue such an issue could be more significant than it first seems.

For example, the fact that lightning is generated outside of a CB is concerning for the fidelity of the weather engine.

2 Likes

Very good point. I’m a weather photographer and amateur storm chaser for over 30 years. I agree and hope the devs take this into consideration → one of the real world effects of lightning is the “shocking” way it dissipates so quickly, or even flashes so intensely and abruptly multiple times. Positive strikes match more closely the current lightning animation (aside from the cloud type origination) but are relatively rare. Very good suggestions raised in this thread.

5 Likes

Bumping up the topic, because I strongly believe we all deserve better lightning effects than the currently silly slow mo camera flashes which light up the entire horizon.

5 Likes

I agree too.

The lightning flash is weird. it’s not really a flash (like it is in real world). it seems to fade out…

real world lightning doesn’t ‘fade out’.

the lightning needs to abruptly end like it abruptly begins.

Surprised that this topic has so few votes considering how importan this not only for the visual aesthetics but also the realistic experience. I also noticed that lightning in MSFS is coming not from the clouds themselves but rather from the cloudless higher atmosphere layer and then goes down through the clouds. It was this way as far as I remember.

I agree. I think more more people will realize that the lightning effects can be significantly improved if they actually see a side by side comparison of how IRL vs sim lightning looks like.

This video from another thread is time compressed but really shows off how much more realistic the lightning can be if you just speed up the flashing. Please vote even if this isn’t a high priority, it can really go a long way to making thunderstorms looks better

1 Like

I’m sorry, but that 's horrible, when I’ve been observing lightning it appears much more like it does in the sim. I know it’s not accurate the way the sim shows lightning, but it’s much closer to what my eyes experience than what I see in this video.

As always, I expect there will be different expectations and experiences.

Look at how forza horizon 5 implements lightning. So much better

Maybe it’s because the sim is trying to simulate the residual image effects that our eyes retain when we see lightning straight on. Just like when you take a picture with flash, in reality the flash is instantly turns off when it’s done, but when our eyes look at the flash, as soon as the flash is ended, we’re still seeing the residual flash image and that fades away much slower than the actual light.

1 Like

My God those graphical glitches when lightning appears in the clouds.
This also needs a fix. :tired_face:

even that video is better… than the current slow fade out of the lightning…

I guess some of you haven’t actually been in a lightning storm. Scary and exhilarating, the flash of light , for me, appears to act in a similar way to what is shown in the sim. We know that technically that’s not right, but that’s what I appear to experience.

actually, I think most people have been in thunderstorms. I’m from Texas and have been chasing tornadoes and violent weather for 23 years. So I think I know a little bit about them and their characteristics. The sim doesn’t capture or simulate the onset and outsight of any of the forms of lightning - that is, if we’re actually trying to get it look as close to the real thing as possible, which I assume we are.

So be careful casting judgment on here. You don’t know who may be in the audience.

:joy: The flash that is created by a flash bulb in a camera is hundreds of times faster than any depicted flash you see in the sim and more so is nowhere near as bright. That’s funny that you tried to articulate such nonsense. What you wrote is a nice little summary of babbled prose that provides no sensible, sound explanation. It was a collection of words that maybe sounded remotely interesting, but only at best. You forewent any logic. Did you even try?

I’ve been in a thunderstorm - under it; in it; through it… the sim depicts it terribly.

It needs to be reworked.

I respectfully disagree, but maybe the thunderstorms in your part of the world re different from the ones I’ve experienced. I went to look at movies and there are some like what I’ve seen and some similar to the original.

Osobo’s flashes are on the long side, but much closer to my experiences than the short single path, single strike ones shown in other videos.