Lightning in MSFS needs a visual overhaul

This is how a mesoscale convective system can look like from a distance:

Lightning definitely needs some work. Not only the cloud-to-ground strikes themselves, but cloud-to-cloud or intracloud flashes as well. Right now it looks like all the lightning strikes are extremely long lasting. Some C-G strikes definitely are like that, but there are plenty of low amplitude strikes that last only a fraction of a second.
There’s also the issue with lightning emanating from few hunder feet vertically thick stratus clouds.

I guess one of the issue with lightning is performance, perhaps they can’t render >100 km distant lightning strikes otherwise the graphics card would melt lol. Maybe that could be solved by making the strikes shorter in duration.

Point to those videos so that I can take a look.

Otherwise, thunderstorm lightning is the same no matter what region we’re speaking to.

It’s the same physics at work - an electrical discharge in the air on a larger scale.

I’d like to bring this topic back to the attention of simmers.

Here’s a look at a recent post made in the MSFS subreddit: Reddit - Dive into anything

As you can see, the lightening effects are painfully unrealistic. The lightening flashes currently in MSFS are too slow, too monotonous, and uninspiring.

Here’s how real lightening looks

As you can see, the flashes vary in brightness, location in the clouds, and frequency (sometimes the flashes repeat, like strobe lights).

Having this kind of lightning depicted in MSFS would make night IFR flying in weather much more frightening, just like IRL.

Some real news about lightning formation:
https://www.essoar.org/doi/10.1002/essoar.10508882.1

1 Like

Here’s a cool website which has a real time map of lightning flashes of several major places across the globe. It’d be cool if Asobo could somehow integrate its data into the sim to drive lightning effects to closer match to reality.

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php

I take your point but at the same time I am pretty darn impressed with the lightning in the first video. Amazing they can do it that well.

I wonder how a sush topic collects only 70 votes :confused:
Lightining effects in MSFS are so horrible, a full rework is needed to increase immersion… for now it looks like an automatic speed camera flash !!
Please vote !!!

3 Likes

Improvement on the horizon?

Timestamp 00:31 from the recent announcement trailer:

Noticed it too. Really looking forward to checking it out in person. It’s one step closer to a more realistic and frightening depiction of lightning.

Wow it’s not pink anymore!
That said, I don’t see any lightning anymore, is it just me who’s flying in the wrong area despite selecting thunder zones?

I haven’t seen lightning in a very long time.
According to the devs, the lightning has been fixed, but instead of reducing the frequency by implementing higher-quality algoritms (i.e. CAPE, Lifted index, pseudo-TEMPs etc.), it seems the lightning almost completely disappeared.
Some say it can still be seen in Meteoblue-only parts of the world where METARs are unavailable.

Make it like this. https://twitter.com/LaffonGuillaume/status/1556381469051740161?s=20&t=aKn2Y2FHeksqFQbwY2WExg

Asobo has the visuals nailed down on just about everything else you see in this clip.

2 Likes

Yes. Lightening needs lots of attention IMO.

From the few videos I’ve seen of SU10, the depiction of lightning seems to have improved slightly, but it still is far off from looking like real lightning.

When you fly through thunderstorms, it should look and feel like you’re flying through thunderstorms, not like an alleyway with a flickering lights.

Bringing this topic back up to hopefully get the attention of devs.

2 Likes

Actually, it doesn’t even look like that. speed camera flashes, I believe are fast, quick, instant,
The lightning in MSFS, does this weird “fade in” and and “fade out”. Looks really weird. But looks nothing like real lightning.

1 Like

Where are people finding Lightning?

Change the world map to view precipitation and go to areas with heavy precipitation. Though sometimes it will show up with any level of precipitation. It’s most rare in the US.

Please vote!!! Needs an overhaul - lighting is so unrealistic momentarily in the sim. Needs much more attention to detail and the glitches in clouds and on ground when lighting is visible.

Please devs fix it and make the thunderstorms and lighting much more reslistic and better.

2 Likes

If I ever actually see lightning I will vote but have not seen any in almost a year. Oh wait…I did vote for this topic almost 2 years ago… :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I have not seen lightning for quite a while.
When the sim first came out, there was a lot of lighting action. I really liked flying in storms with the flashes and thunder.

Some people complained that it was too much so now we have almost none.

Be careful of what you wish for…

2 Likes