Lionheart Creations Bellanca Super Viking released

See MSFS marketplace for details and purchase.

Well, the topic title says it all. LHC released a good looking aircraft with some flaws.
After a ten minute flight I found the following bugs:

1. The beacon light shines through the cockpit
  2. I am unable to start the aircraft with the procedure mentioned in the manual (bat on, avionics on, fuel open, mixture rich, cowl flaps open, start… prop spins but engine does not start)
    Ctrl+E does the same and it works
  3. To turn off the autopilot I have to double press the NAV button
  4. Flight model seems a bit off; 40mph gear down, flaps full and no stall in level flight

Am I doing something wrong here?

1 Like

Just a heads up but the link you included at the top of your post is actually for the FSX/P3D version so the store links at the bottom are for the old version not the recent one. I’m guessing it’s marketplace exclusive for now as the Jungmann was for quite some time until it appeared on some other stores at some point quite a while after release on the MP.

1 Like

Thank you for the correction. You are absolutely right. I deleted the wrong link.

1 Like

I couldn’t replicate the startup issue, starts up fine for me following that procedure. I did turn the fuel pump on for startup though, come to think of it.

Definitely some quality control issues on release, but this is a solo dev to my knowledge.

The negative to get it out of the way:

• Confirming that the beacon light (which is on the bottom of this aircraft) shines through and flashes very brightly, very annoying but hopefully a quick fix for the developer.
  • Also confirming that the flight model might need adjustment. In level flight, the aircraft is impossible to stall. This also allows for extremely short landings well into STOL territory. It’s as if the aircraft body itself has little to no drag, though I can confirm the gear and flaps add drag.
  • Another example of the flight model being odd: The manual says “Maintain 900 to 1000 fpm climbout. With lite payload, you can easily do 1200 fpm in the Super Viking. Maintain at least 85 knots as you climb out.” I can comfortably do 2100fpm at ~100 knots. Seems a bit off.
  • The toe brakes are reversed.
  • Toe brakes aren’t animated (minor.)
  • Some fairly low-res textures throughout, particularly in the interior.
  • No custom sounds (uses an Asobo pack, not sure which one, but frankly this is better than a bad custom pack so I’m not complaining, just putting it here as it’s not really a pro or a con in this case.) EDIT: I do think there are some custom sounds mixed in with Asobo’s soundpack. The flaps don’t sound default, but I could be wrong.
  • The turn coordinator is very glitchy. Often goes hard to the left while sitting on the ground, and when actually turning and banking it randomly snaps to level frequently.
  • The clickable checklist panels are neat, but I’d personally prefer devs used the official MSFS interactive checklist system any day.

Pros

• The model itself is really beautiful. Much of that is owed to the real aircraft being a stunner, but LHC’s rendition is very attractive with a lot of fine detail.
  • Despite some low-quality textures, the interior is nice and I love the vintage fabric.
  • The 8 provided liveries are very handsome.
  • There are several different interiors and panels, try each livery!
  • Working circuit breakers are a welcome addition.
  • The 3 adjustable light sources are well implemented (instruments, glareshield, dome) making this a really comfy night flyer.
  • Belly landings are possible and will bend the propeller which is neat. I’ve only tried it in grass, will try on a runway next.

Overall, I like it, but it’s frustrating it was released with some of these issues. LHC would benefit a lot from beta testing. These are very easy to catch things, and with all of LHC’s releases I expected a notch better quality control.

With a patch or two, this will be one of my frequent flyers without a doubt.

2 Likes

Picked it up yesterday as I’ve been a Lionheart fan since Bill’s early Fairchilds for FS2002. (20+ years!)

The only issue I’d noticed (since I didn’t try any stalls :slight_smile: ) were the reversed toe brake axes and the beacon light reflecting off everything in sight. @Joerg1473, the startup did work for me as advertised, so I wonder if that was just one of those glitchy MSFS moments were something breaks for no reason…

Hopefully Bill ( @LyonHaart001 ) can address the reported issues. And hopefully the Marketplace team won’t take months to release the update.

It’s a beauty, that’s for sure. The external details are great.

It’s crazy this 200 mph+ plane was built with wooden wings and a fabric-covered fuselage into the 1990s!

4 Likes

A few things to be fixed, but I think it’s well worth the money. A real pleasure to fly indeed!

1 Like

Check that you are turning on the fuel valve on the floor, I keep forgetting about that sometimes.

edit: also check that the sim does not drain the fuel tanks on you - sometimes that happens - check the fuel gauges and check the Weight and Balance.

Flight model is wonky, I was testing stall characteristics did a touch and go pulled up 45 degrees nose up full power with landing gear out no flaps and she hung in the air at 60 knots climbing! She suppose to stall around 70ish
Something not right , feels off

1 Like

Yeah, in normal regimes the flight model feels spot-on with the listed performance. Speed and handling are as you’d expect for a plane in this class. But the stall regime isn’t reacting as it should.

Also not sure how to reconcile the VX speed with the stall speeds…

LIMITING AND RECOMMENDED AIRSPEEDS
VX (best angle of climb) 65 KIAS (75 mph)
VY (best rate of climb) 96 KIAS (110 mph)
VA (design maneuvering) 129 KIAS (148 mph)
VFE (max flap extended) 104 KIAS (120 mph)
VLE (max gear extended) 139 KIAS (160 mph)
VLO (max gear operating)
Extend 139 KIAS (160 mph)
VNO (max structural cruising) 165 KIAS (190 mph)
VNE (never exceed) 196 KIAS (226 mph)
VS1 (stall, clean) 66 KIAS (76 mph)
VSO (stall, in landing configuration) 57 KIAS (66 mph)

That’s the only part of flying that feels off, though, so if you’re simulating normal cross-countries and watching your speeds, it’s not a game-breaker. You’re just not going to get proper punishment if you let your speed drop too much, nor can you do departure practice.

3 Likes

I’d say the most “routine flying” oddity is the climb performance which feels to be at least double what’s published in the manual. I can climb at over 2000 ft/min at around 100 knots, manual says 1200fpm at 85kts with a light load. I think I’d have to be at half power during climb to hit those numbers.

The autopilot is an interesting beast. I have been able to capture an ILS approach with GS and land via autopilot, but it’s no Garmin, LOL, as it should NOT be. It takes a bit getting used to. You need to read the Century III manual on line. The in cockpit one is only a reference.

The switches are “magnetic”, so that is why you see multiple switches react in some cases when you think only one should.

It does not emulate the trim indicator on the AP, but that was not a big deal.

EDIT: sorry you need to set the 430 to VLOC via the CDI button

Feature: You see YOUR Prop gets bent if you do a belly landing

VERY COOL

But do others seeing you in Multiplayer (assuming they have the same plane), see your plane’s prop bent as well – or do all Viking Planes in the MP session suddenly have bent props ?

(Like opening canopies in the Spitfire )

Did another flight. With a light load, I was able to maintain this climb at the indicated speed. Climbs like an absolute jet. Am I just not supposed to use full throttle, or is this modelled incorrectly?

To do a 1200fpm at 85kts climb out I had to reduce the throttle significantly.

I got it and really like it.

It seems it features a custom version of the Century III autopilot, and I like how it works. Very nice by the dev to have done this.

Now without any attempt at being sour, how on earth can you release a plane where the beacon light shines through the cockpit without noticing it? No beta testers? Never used the light? Never tried to see how it looks at dusk or night? While this is not an error that makes the plane unusable I fail to understand how it could happen.

Hello pilots!

Sorry about the climb rate and beacon light. It never shined through the floor with me and a couple of others on the team. It did for one of the testers and on his, and also with his, the dome light wasnt working, but it worked fine with ours. I had a problem with the VS rocker switch on mine, but no one else did, so I wrote it off as a personal computer issue, which happens rarely, possibly a setting in my sim.

The dome light is the same one Asobo uses on the bellies of their planes. the coding on the effect shines it downwards. So I am at a loss as to why this is happening. For me, its fine, for other testers, it was fine. One pilot complained about the beacon saying it was shining upwards. I wonder if there is a project out there that put in their own beacon into the sim’s package, overwriting the stock beacon effect, and now many have a beacon that shines upwards? Does this happen with Asobo planes that have a belly beacon? If so, I think it could be a beacon that is corrupting the stock Asobo beacon file.

I was the main person tuning the flight model. My focus is nearly always, getting the speeds down, then how she takes off and touches down, hitting the speeds right on the mark.

Sad about stall speed, as I thought it was right on. I attempted several routes to adjust that so that I had ground effect (first direction of tuning this part) as the flaps are huge and landing setting is an extreme angle. She should float down at the 6 feet / 2 meter zone with full flaps. It should effect her lift and speed and attitude moderately and I was happy with it.

Also note… When using a standard MSFS weight loadout, 2 souls on board, half tanks of fuel, you are talking a lite loadout. So keep that in mind. If you load her with 4 adults and full tanks and some luggage in the back, you will get a totally different handling plane. Some people were complaining on airliners that their figures were off, but those figures are for a fully laden bird.

I’ll go through her climbouts and see what I missed.

Its not easy doing flight files. Speeds, stalls, climbs, fuel rates, turn performance, and flaps performance, is not an easy task. I was quite happy with it when we launched. But for me, I was seeing the speed numbers and engine settings and fuel rates and was seeing exactly what I needed.

What do you think of her other features? I am loving that autopilot, the C-III. RonH coded that. He did an amazing job. Some pilots who are Viking owners told me all about it. One gentleman filmed it, clicking the switches. If you flip off the ROLL switch, all switches should flip off. Very interesting unit. Great for holding climb after a take off so you can start setting up the flight, getting HDG Bug adjusted, etc.

Bill
Lionheart Creations

5 Likes

I put in a couple of features that Asobo use;

• Fuel line showing when the fuel truck comes to fuel up your plane on the apron
  • Frost and icing…

Frost and icing isnt working 100%. I could not find out how Asobo have a beautiful flow from front of the plane to back. Their planes icing are very fluid. Mine has some panel zones showing from the UVW Mapping. For some reason, mine shows this, but it’s not totally noticeable. I was critical of it and hope to find out how they do theirs.

But note, if you start getting heavy icing, its nearly too late. Its a large amount of weight of ice and its changing your aerodynamics, and no wing deicers. :S Bad place to be in such a time.

4 Likes

What a Gem !

Some Bed Time reading.

“A little known story about Bellanca is that Charles Lindbergh tried to buy one,(Not this one), for his trans-Atlantic flight, but they wouldn’t sell it to him. They didn’t think he had enough experience. Clarence Chamberlain made the second non-stop flight across the Atlantic. In a Bellanca. That was obviously the worst sale Bellanca never made”.

6 Likes

Since I didn’t see anyone else say it, low wing airplanes can’t rely on gravity to feed the fuel to the engine, so the fuel pump is normally required to be on for starting low wing aircraft when the tanks are in the wings.

Don’t know if this is true for the Bellanca, or if Bill programmed it that way if it is, but, knowing his attention to detail, he probably did.

2 Likes

You recently posted a picture on your facebook page of the interior of the green variant which looks nothing like mine. Your picture shows green seats with brown and gold padding for the seats. Mine on the other hand looks like this… Which is the correct one?

One posted on Facebook

A few of the liveries have different interiors. But the one you noticed is not included in the final release.