List of Scenery Mods with Water Runways

I’ve been on a bit of a mission to try and download as many seaplane, floatplane, amphibian bases/docks/water runways etc, as I can. Especially the ones with parking dock spaces to start cold and dark. Thought I’d make a thread to share my findings. Maybe someone else will find this useful or even contribute with some things I missed.

• :exclamation: So first of all there’s obviously the wonderful Return to Misty Moorings which is packed full of seaplane bases and cabins with parking spots plus a bunch more, mostly in the Alaskan Panhandle. It’s a great place to fly your Beavers or Norsemen.

Next up I just searched flightsim.to for various things like ‘sea’ or ‘float’ or ‘water’ and clicked on anything that looked promising. Due to the site’s pretty poor search engine it won’t search the text description or anything so it’s very possible I missed out on sceneries that don’t contain those words in the title, so sorry if I missed yours! They really need a category for seaplane bases. I’ll list them by country along with any notes.

:united_nations: International :united_nations:

North America

:canada: Canada :canada:

:small_blue_diamond: British Columbia

:small_blue_diamond: Newfoundland and Labrador

• CC69 Dildo Island Airport/Seaport by Plasma2045. First of all there’s no water parking spot, but if you have an amphibian you can just start on one of the land parking spots and taxi your way into the water no problem. Secondly: I 100% expected the forum to censor the word Dildo lol. It’s a real place although the airport/seaplane base is fictional.

• CCB5 Goose Bay Seaplane Base by gaminglabrador5.

:small_blue_diamond: Northwest Territories

:small_blue_diamond: Quebec

:small_blue_diamond: Saskatchewan

:us: USA :us:

:small_blue_diamond: Alaska

:o: NOTAM: There’s a bunch of overlapping stuff here between the two Kodiak Island packs and some others so you have to pick and choose.

:small_blue_diamond: Arizona

:small_blue_diamond: California

:small_blue_diamond: Connecticut

• 42B Goodspeed Airport by Rustydatsun77. Not actually a water runway, but thre’s a ramp leading into the river so you can drive your amphibs into it. There’s also a cool animated swing bridge linked in the description.

:small_blue_diamond: Florida

:small_blue_diamond: Idaho

:small_blue_diamond: Maine

:small_blue_diamond: Michigan

:small_blue_diamond: Minnesota

:small_blue_diamond:New Hampshire

:small_blue_diamond: New York

:small_blue_diamond: Pennsylvania

:small_blue_diamond: Northern Mariana Islands

:small_blue_diamond: United States Minor Outlying Islands

:fr: St Barthelemy :fr:

:eu: Europe :eu:

:croatia: Croatia :croatia:

:denmark: Denmark :denmark:

:de: Germany :de:

:greece: Greece :greece:

:it: Italy :it:

Nordics

:norway: Norway :norway:

:switzerland: Switzerland :switzerland:

:uk: United Kingdom :uk:

Asia

:indonesia: Indonesia :indonesia:

:jp: Japan :jp:

:maldives: Maldives :maldives:

:new_zealand: New Zealand :new_zealand:

:moneybag: Payware :moneybag:

• Float Plane Adventure Scenery Pack by KStorm, it looks like there’s some in here that are also in Return to Misty Moorings so there might be conflicts and if so you might have to disable some airports in one or the other. Thanks to FamousStream42 for suggesting it.

• Seattle Landmarks by Drzewiecki Design includes some water runways.

• Some of the floatplanes in the Living Legends series come with water runways for their bush trips but I don’t think they have parking spots.

• Boeing B-314 - The Clipper by PILOT’S has a number of seaplane bases included as well, see this post by DaveR44 for detals.

I’m sure there’s more payware out there that come with water runways but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. List will be expanded as time goes on!

7 Likes

I did a post a while back (actually, over a year ago :astonished: ) but your list is much more comprehensive. I think there are a couple you missed from mine though (Hellenic, VRSB Male, TFFJ extra add-on):

If I think of any more I will let you know :wink:

Hah, I should’ve figured that you already made a list! I’ll have a look through yours and add the ones I missed although I do already have VRSB on my list :wink: The Alaskan Seaplane Bases Volume 1 and 2 on your list are pretty old and have some conflicts with Misty Moorings I think so I didn’t list that one. They’re even listed as ‘archived’ on the .to site. I actually remember seeing that Greek one before but somehow escaped me during my searches today. I think because they’re listed in the ‘others’ category and I was doing my searches in the airports and bush strips categories. TFFJ is another one I’ve tried before but forgot about this time around. Cheers for reminding me of them!

1 Like

Seaports Croatia is a nice package of coastal seaplane bases. Includes water runways, parking, docks, pontoons, and other objects.

1 Like

The PILOT’S Boeing B-314 Clipper comes with a bunch of water runways used by the actual Clipper flights included with the plane (including cold & dark parking spots). This is the current list per the manual:

1. Auckland Seaplane Base
  2. Bermudas - Darrell Island Seaplane Base
  3. Botwood Seaplane Base
  4. Canton Seaplane Base
  5. Foynes Seaplane Base
  6. Guam Seaplane Base
  7. Horta Seaplane Base
  8. Manila Seaplane Base
  9. Noumea Seaplane Base
  10. Oahu Seaplane Base (Honolulu)
  11. Shediac Seaplane Base
  12. Southampton Seaplane Base
  13. Treasure Island Seaplane Base
  14. Wake Seaplane Base
  15. La Guardia Marine Base
  16. Lisbon Seaplane Base
  17. Cape Town Waterfront Seaplane Base
  18. Saint Barts Seaplane Base
2 Likes

Completely missed that one, should’ve searched in the regional packages category as well I gues. Looks pretty awesome and I’m about to check it out in the sim. Cheers!

Also cheers DaveR44, will add that to the list of payware.

Could I suggest adding these ones from KStorm to the payware list? I picked them up a while ago and am really enjoying them. I haven’t found any conflicts with them and other ones (eg. Prince Rupert)

MSFS2020 Scenery Packs

These are included:

• 4z7 :Hyder
  • CZSW: Prince Rupert Sea Base
  • CAH2: Ocean Falls
  • CAA7: Gilford Island Sea Base
  • CAQ3: Coal Harbour
  • CAU8: Rivers Inlet
  • CAW5: Port Hardy
  • CAE3: Campbell River
  • CAY4: Hartley Bay
  • CBA3: Kincolith
  • WK16: Haikai Fishing Lodge
  • WK08: Moonlit Lodge
  • WK03: Whitton Lake Fishing Lodge
  • WK05: Fisher Lodge
  • CAX7: Minstrel Island Fishing Lodge
  • CAF8: Nimpo Lake Lodge
  • WK09: Bear Lodge
  • WK06: Chaunigan Lake Lodge
1 Like

Nice one. Added! Does look like there’s some that Return to Misty Moorings also adds so you’ll have to pick and choose when running both.

Thanks. Actually, I found they play nicely together for the most part. It seems even Canadian scenery is polite! :rofl:
The main conflict I had was with having 3 Prince Ruperts installed and I tried removing one but have found they ALL play nice. I have Orbx, SIMAddon’s one and KStorm living happily together as they all add different things.
Ralph at SIMAddons sneaks in some float bases to his payware such as Kamloops. I find Ralph’s scenery is essential, not optional, for flying BC or the east coast of Canada.

1 Like

Port Harvey is beautiful:

2 Likes

That does look quite stunning. Thanks for the link, I’ve added it to the master list.

1 Like

Sure, here’s one time I went there:

You missed 69NH (Formerly 8B8) - Lakes Region Airport in Wolfeboro, NH on Lake Winnipesaukee. It’s got two dock spots and two water runways (like it did in real life when the airport was active. I’m pretty sure the water runways are still in use, though I don’t know what particular docks are associated with them any more).

I released the 4 airports associated with Moosehead Lake and Moose river as one release because 59B transmits it’s ASOS over the CTAF used by a lot of airports in the area. I don’t know how that works in real life, but, clearly MSFS doesn’t know what to do with it, so you can’t use the CTAF for most of the airports surrounding 59B, so I changed the ASOS at 59B to use that of 3B1 nearby (and then redid the whole airport, too) (and the seaplane base at 60B was literally right next door, so, I couldn’t not do that one, too).(And all that because I was fascinated by the DC3 on floats on Moosehead Lake, knew the area from traveling by it every so often, and had been wanting to redo those two seaplane bases for years, like 30 years, lol…). The airports are individual in the zip file, so if you don’t want to use one or more of them, just don’t put them in.

1 Like

Thanks for the link and notes on your other Sceneries. I’ve added 69NH to the list. One of the reasons why I posted this thread was for others to post things I’ve missed, as I’m sure I’ve missed many more. I basically just used the flightsim.to search for things like water or dock etc, and their search isn’t that great and doesn’t search the descriptions, just the titles. So if a scenery doesn’t have something blatant in the title or if I didn’t already know about it then I’m afraid I missed it out :cry:

Thanks a lot for making the sceneries as well! It seems to be quite rare for US or Canadian water runway sceneries that aren’t out in the Pacific Northwest lol. I actually started a scenery myself a couple weeks back, fictional one based on a resevoir near me. I got the basics down and working, runways and parking docks etc, but then kinda got bogged down trying to make things look pretty with third party object libraries, especially with the docks, and ended up getting distracted by other things. I should get back to it at some point.

1 Like

Right??? :laughing:
I was all psyched about the release of the B314 and hadn’t done any FS development in a couple of years, so I was going to redo the Treasure Island SPB and add docks and stuff, but, like you got bogged down by some technical issues (like, why hasn’t anyone created a US Navy WWII Hangar yet?), then I got distracted by @Easyraider7884 's Folsom’s DC3 Floatplane livery and had to do Moosehead Lake for it, and then all the stuff I wrote above… and then I realized I had to release all the other stuff I had been working on a couple of years ago… sigh.

Like, I thought I had just about finished an update for KASH a couple of years ago, moved on to that, “just gonna make a couple of changes”“wait a second”… that was three weeks ago of like 40 hours a week of work on it at least…sigh…but, really, almost done, probably release it today.

3 Likes

I came here looking for spots to use in a lakes tour.

I just learned, but have yet to try myself, and maybe some of you are curious to know:
Skydolly has a location module to add custom points to start cold and dark basically anywhere.

I hope I’m getting this right. Not exactly an answer to the this question, but isn’t that part of the pain for seaplane pilots?

The issue is if airports don’t have a parking spot to start cold and dark from, be it one on land or a dock spot in the water.

Asobo fixed the ability of amphibians to drive in and out of the water a long time ago, so Amphibians can start at any airport with a parking spot. For instance, I didn’t put any land runways in my 52B airport, but I put a couple of parking spots on land on ramps to the water for people who like to start cold and dark from land for their amphibians.

Float planes require a dock parking spot, but can start cold and dark from them as well.

If you’re trying to start up cold and dark at a location where an airport or SPB is not nearby, however, that tool is useful.

As a side note, many people wonder how pilots do run ups when they’re in the water. They wonder why the plane moves when they crank up the rpms. Happens in real life, too. We as engineers are still working on developing brakes for the water… soooo, they do their runups along the way when taxiing into position (it’s not a good idea to do a run up when tied up at the dock as this can overstrain the floats, though I have seen / read of instances where operators do that, too).

1 Like

Doesn’t that mean you can use it at any water runway that lacks parking or docks as well? Sorry, I didn’t quite get the distinction you were trying to make.

This is a great one! Thanks for posting it!

I always appreciate when a creator adds stuff to quite a large area around and this one ticks that box for sure.

I also appreciate when real rock models are used to cover up the awful stretched textures on terrain cliffs and water edges - looks great. Here are some shots of what I mean:

Some nice detailing:

And they’ve even caught a real life Sea Monster! (don’t ask…)

2 Likes

So true!

Like the fire watch tower on the hill. Small details!

Here’s some more screenshots, including the tower:

1 Like