LittleNavMap in VR with WMR Portal

Ok, I think this is going to take a bit of tuning to get perfect but I was able to get LittleNavMap to appear as a window inside of FS2020 during VR using only the native WMR functionality with my Reverb G2.

Here is how to do it:

• Make sure LittleNavMap has a shortcut to it in your start menu (should be in something like C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)
  • Launch WMR Portal, open the apps menu, and select “Classic Apps” (you may need to select “All Apps” first on the right)
  • Find LittleNavMap and launch it inside the WMR Portal
  • Click the little square button in the upper right corner of the window (should say “follow me”)
  • Launch MS Flight Simulator

Now, when you switch to VR Mode inside of FS2020 the LittleNavMap window should appear inside of your cockpit. Move the window somewhere inside your plane and click the “follow me” button again to get it to stick. You can interact with the window using your motion controllers and mouse.

Few caveats here: The input switching is a little bit strange and sometimes unintuitive, I’ve been losing my mouse sometimes where I can’t interact with the cockpit unless I switch focus on the window in my desktop. The other caveat is that LittleNavMap actually takes a lot of pixel real estate, so I’m not sure how helpful it is as a small window inside of FS2020. Ideally you would create your flight plan on the desktop and then switch the “full screen map” mode inside of LNM to track your progress.

Of course, you can use this same technique to pull in Netflix, Youtube, or whatever else you want inside your cockpit. For non-WMR headsets, I believe there are different apps you can use to accomplish the same thing (like OVRToolkit for steam).

Hopefully this is helpful.

5 Likes

This is good except for the losing the mouse caveat that you mentioned. It makes it nearly impossible to interact with the follow me window since once you do you cant get your mouse back to control flight sim. Any solution to this would make this much better.

1 Like

Someone on another thread suggested that they had bound the “Alt-Tab” function to a button on their mouse. I haven’t tried, but this may help you to return control to MSFS from LNM??

I can’t get the shortcut to appear in the classic apps menu. I’ve created a shortcut in the same folder as other apps which do appear in the list. Restarting/rebooting hasn’t helped. Did anyone come across this same problem?

Im the same, cant get it in to appear in the classic menu

I may have found two workarounds. The objective is to add littlenavmap.exe shortcut to the main Windows start menu (the alphabetical list, not the Pin to Start Menu one). I think after that, it should appear in the WMR list (though I haven’t checked this part yet).

The first workaround is to make a copy of the littlenavmap.exe in the same folder as the exe itself, then right-click it, choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut). Then on the desktop, rename the shortcut if you want, and move it to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

For reasons unknown to me, I am unable to make the original unzipped exe appear in that list. It works with a copy of the exe, but not the original one.

The second workaround is to go grab zipinstaller from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html , and use that to install littlenavmap from the downloaded zip file. That automatically adds the entries to the start menu, and also adds an uninstaller to the Windows Apps menu.

1 Like

Have you found any work arounds to the mouse issue? I was able to load up Navigraph inside the Cockpit, but after clicking around the Navigraph window, I lost the mouse for the cockpit entirely.

Cool, does it impact performance much?

Any idea how to get this dobe with Rift S? Is there also a „follow me“ functionality in Oculus Home?

You know you can also download this: https://github.com/bymaximus/msfs2020-toolbar-little-nav-map
It adds a VFR Map style thing with Little Nav map. Make sure you are running the webserver in the desktop application.

3 Likes

This is really cool, will test it out shortly.

HI I’ve added the shortcut to the start menu but when clicking it in the WMR cliffhouse classic apps group all I get is an icon-little navmap opens on the PC desktop fine but I don’t see it in the follow me window

THIS ^^^^^^

Amazing proggie (also for your flightplan), now you can see your ILS freq. live in a VR screen (which I always forget to write down, which is sad)
Switch on Tools > Run server, in LNM, will remember this setting. For FPS reasons, toggle this map, find the ILS freq., toggle back off.

Thanks for this find. For those of us that are not computer experts, can you please explain what “Make sure you are running the webserver in the desktop application.” and “Switch on Tools > Run server, in LNM, will remember this setting.” mean…

You have to alt-tab back to MFS2020 (you’ll see the dual screen mode of your VR view in the mini VR window when this happens) to get the mouse registered in the sim. Then you have to alt-tab back to LNM to see the map.

Basically when you see the map your mouse is registered to interact with the desktop. To get it to interact with the cockpit. You have to alt-tab to bring focus to MFS2020.

Copy Github zipped “msfs2020-toolbar-little-nav-map-main” into \Community
Run LNM, top menu bar ‘Tools’, chk “Run Webserver”, now it’s in your MSFS VR cockpit Toolbar

Hello,

Is it just me or you can only zoom out so far, say a 20nm radius?

Best,

S

Anyone found a way to increase the text size and make the map more readable in VR?

Hi, can please share a link how to load up navigraph inside vr cockpit ? thanks…

Where does your Navigraph run? On the tablet or on your PC? If it‘s running on the PC than you can do it in the same way as it‘s described here for LittleNavMap.

If it‘s running on the tablet you need an app to miror it to your desktop and then in the same way as described above.

I used the app AirServer to show my iPad on the desktop and inserted it into my cockpit.