Live Dev Q&A: Guided Question

Icing Effect

Not completely related but a lot of people are still struggling with the excessive icing effect, last Q&A there wasn’t really a satisfying answer given to the problem. Are the developers aware that the current icing effect is not only affecting performance way too much (i.e. light icing conditions produces severe icing effects) but also the visual representation is wrong.

The icing in MSFS looks like the aircraft has been parked overnight in freezing fog and is covered with frost. In-flight icing does not look that way, the type of ice is wrong (frost versus rime / clear or mixed ice) and the areas it accumulates is wrong. Apart from some flowback, ice forms on frontal areas and not on top of the wing, side of the fuselage or vertical tail, cockpit side windows and cabin windows and certainly not as quick as it does in MSFS or in conditions were there is no supercooled water in the atmosphere (e.g. snow).

Are the developers aware of this, are there any updates planned to address the severity and visual appearance? Could we get an option to completely disable the icing effects (performance + visual) until things have improved? I’m flying into icing conditions almost on a daily basis (in real life), I can say from experience that no icing effect at all is more realistic than the current icing effect. Thank you!

32 Likes