Live Developer Q&A is starting now. Feel free to discuss here

Just a reminder, the live monthly Q&A session with ASOBO developers is starting now. Feel free to discuss over on Twitch, or any discussion between forum users can be left below.

**Although the live session has ended, the recorded version may be watched here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/756607286 **

Here is a quick summary:

World Update #2, VR, Sim Updates

09:36
World Update #2 - launching later this year, will focus on US.
Rolling basis, every 2-3 months

10:15
#1 request: VR. Team has been working for over a year. Releasing alongside HP Reverb 2. Planning to do a closed beta for FS VR - Late OCT or early Nov, starting with WMR.

11:42
Sim Updates:

Acknowledgment of regressions. Dedicated update just for issues. Sim Update 1 will address in early November. Will alternate with world updates.

Press Any Key, Community Mod Support, Scenery Gateway, Replay Function, ATC Callsign

13:25
Press Any Key to Start
Seb: Easy fix - in backlog and hopefully addressed soon

14:23
Community mods, such as FlyByWire A320: Currently have contracts and relationships with manufacturer. Awaiting response, looking into ways to make them available widely.

16:06
Scenery gateway system: Have to be careful taking scenery from non Bing Maps providers. Will be an oncoming thing. Will add freeware section, timing TBA.

17:28
Replay Function: Have a system currently, but not user friendly. On the backlog to make a simplified, user friendly version. Will be on one of the sim updates. High priority item.

(what is a backlog discussion)

Remember ATC Callsign: Easy change to add to save. Has been added to the backlog.

DX12, Nav Blue Updates / Charts, Weather System, Multiple Screens, Metric Units

20:08
DX12: Big team that has been working on for a while. Wonā€™t be just for performance, but also to open stuff such as ray tracing and new effects. Rendering work is already on a different core process. 2nd line (renderer) in dev tools. Will likely see a small increase.

21:50
Nav Blue partnership: Agreement is new nav data comes every 28 days, and goes into the next game update. Next one comes mid October, after some high level testing, will go into game updates. Has already started. Charts are a little more work. Was on plan for launch, didnā€™t make it. Will be on sim update (probably not November). One of reasons signed with NavBlue.

23:52
Open up weather system to 3rd party: Need to think about, as weather is very integral.

Freeware: (addressed above) Really want to embrace that.

Multiple screens: Seb - Saw someone working on thatā€¦ Has a DR400 cockpit with 3 projectors (comments on aligning), engine team working on it.

26:10
Metric Units: In backlog. Going to be unit by unit, mostly weight and fuel. Havenā€™t started, but should be a small update.

Airport / ATC Bugs, Night Lighting, Visibility, Garmin Improvement Plan, Towers / Obstacles, Hotfixes

Feedback Snapshot - Top Bugs, planning to put out weekly.

28:23
Plans for updating taxiways with proper names, airport updates, etc. - Jorg: Inside world update, also adderessed 700 airports. Has a dedicated ORBX team who is constantly looking at bugs. When written in forum, comments get translated into bug database. Rely on peoples feedback, such as Brazilian airport.

29:57
Plans to improve ATC: Seb, acknowledged sim has issues and bugs. Team working to address. Lots of small issues that they are looking at, dedicated ATC team. Potential cool TTS improvements with Microsoft.

31:50
Night lighting on terrain: Room for improvement. Issues with textures, plans to work on increasing definition. Preciously at 10,000 meters for light transitions, can push more to 20-30,000 meters, which means more individual lights, less of a texture issue. Not a ā€œbig bigā€ change. Jorg: Working some of the best, such as MaxX Ordinance Surveys, Excel survey partners.

34:48
Cloud visibility: Seb - Had fog at office and flew it in the sim, matched scenario. Has aerosol setting. Currently maxed at 20, which is still above 5-10km distance. Only way now is if in rain or clouds. Thinking of pushing slider further, such as 40-60. But starts to look strange. First update, slider will go up. Expect 2-3 km. 2nd update will come after lighting formula tweaks. Possible update to weather menu. Fog is just a layer of clouds on the ground.

38:23
Garmin Improvement Plans (#1 bug on list): Jorg, general philosophy, donā€™t want to interfere with 3rd party developers. Jorg starting to change mind to make it as good as they can make it. Seb: Currently focusing on bug fixes, once less bugs can focus more on improvements. Will come with autopilot updates. As soon as bug count down. Jorg ā€œPlanning to invest the time and do itā€

Working on towers and obstacle database. Seb: Has some of the data, working on it.

42:01
Hot-fixes? Internally have a 2 week cadence, recognized rushed and introduced bugs. Want to commit to a big monthly update, with in-between critical bug fixes. Going to go back to pre-release builds to smaller ā€œflighting groupā€. Would like dedicated feedback team,

CPU Optimization, Terrain Mesh, Contrails, DLSS / Raytracing, etc

47:20
CPU Usage Optimized to use more than 1 core: Already using, heavily multi-threaded. Main thread sending render work to render thread. Needs to know where camera is. Last performance update, thread that streams data was in a loop that caused issues. End goal is to be GPU limted. Last update moved work to other cores. Each update will move stuff out to other threads. Jorg: Nothing new to say about xbox, but lots of people asking.

50:15
When work on Xbox, it also helps PC. Seb: More memory optimazation to come, in pipeline. Will benefit PC, but is what will allow sim to work on xbox.

51:59
Working to improve DEM Mesh? Jorg: Working with many of the best dim providers, governments. Took Japan from 30m to 5m. Next US update, canā€™t say how good US data is, but it is crazy good. Work to be done and will continue (such as Alps). Data provider called Planet, just lowered satellites to get better data. Trying to find the best data possible to continue to put into FS, will continue to get better.

54:03
SDK Updates for particle effects: Jorg - Tool being written and in development. Contrails on the backlog. Working on it and will be in the SDK.

55:15
DLSS and Raytracing: Part of DX12. Main reason for moving to DX12 (additional features)

Lessons, Seasons, Shared Cockpit, Draw Distance

Flight Lessons and Checklist updates: Can expect to see updates.

57:43
Seasons - Very big task. Going to take a while, so be patient.

58:19
Career Mode / Shared Cockpit - After bug fixes, replay, launch priorities, etc. Priorities such as shared cockpit will be more of a next year thing.

01:00:44
Investigating AA / Draw Distance. Looking at expanding terrain draw distance, especially for higher altitude. 15,000-30,000 improvements donā€™t cause a lot of performance penalties.

33 Likes

Letā€™s see how they think about all the bugsā€¦

1 Like

Where can I watch this from the beginning?

1 Like

Have a lot more confidence with product seeing thisā€¦ Jorg and Sebastian seemed honest and didnā€™t sugarcoat the recent hiccups. They should have more of this, and less of the cheeky press releases. Like the ideas of Garmin improvements, makes sense to take it further and have 3rd parties use it on their planes. Also like crowd sourcing the beta testing.

21 Likes

Totally agree with you. Well said.

3 Likes

The career mode question was ignoredā€¦

1 Like

The stream should be almost finished. After that the whole session will become available.

as it should. :smile:

1 Like
  • DX12, DLSS and Direct X Raytracing is coming
  • Visibility issues will be addressed in two steps
  • No intentional graphical downgrades

3 big takeaways for me.

8 Likes

Very positive and informativeā€¦much appreciated feedback and communciation.

I am very excited about World Update 2 being the USā€¦I wonder how many airports they plan on doing and hope the majority are general aviation.

Something else I am VERY excited about is that they are now planning on fixing and improving the G1000.

6 Likes

Also they are looking to increase draw distance, especially for higher altitude.

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised that removing ā€˜Press any key to startā€™ was on top of the wishlist. I mean, I get that it seems unneccessary, but considering all the other bugs I would classify it as a minor nuissance. Or maybe the sim is in a better state than this forum lets on?

11 Likes

Ahha, so Microsoft China is working on a ā€˜really coolā€™ improvement of ATC. Ok, nice, Iā€™ll look forward to that. Iā€™m looking forward more to the next Q&A though when I hopefully get to ask, specifically, when is ATC going to work in multiplayer?

1 Like

I think itā€™s more that the request has been on the wishlist for 6 weeks nowā€¦

1 Like

That of course accumulates lots of votes.

Some people want to launch the game and come back without suffering another loading session. Thereā€™s basically 3 that you need to do before youā€™re flying and I can only think of bathroom break and kitchen visit as 2 things I need to doā€¦

But yea, itā€™s only minor issue

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been banging on about the need for better communication since the beginning. I have to say I was impressed by both of them and feel this kind of appearance and transparency is exactly the kind of thing we need. More often would be great, but accept that commercial reality probably precludes this.

Presuming they are checking back to this thread for feedback (and give one about what I have to say) - thank you for your time and transparency.

As was said in the session, as a community we ā€œcare - hardā€

I have been simming for 15 years, paid premium price for a product that is still very much incomplete and buggy, so I will continue to flag this, hopefully with some good humour, but continue I will.

Nonetheless, credit given where due and thanks.

10 Likes

I just heard Seb say that itā€™s on their backlog so itā€™s getting taken care of. They just need to fix more urgent issues first.

1 Like

There is monthly Q@A scheduled

Wish they would add someone to answer forums or add detail directly into these forums.

4 Likes