Live Q & A via Twitch

Thank you for this, I’ll try to keep it this way :slight_smile:

Maybe this is an occasion to help us help you then. Please allow me to explain:

There are a number of people complaining on the forums their reports are closed. Now we know why: closed in Zendesk means “it has been processed”, either really closed or assigned to someone working on it. However when there are complaints about a problem which many are encountering (by the number of votes or posts confirming the same problem in the discussion), which on one hand could be hundreds of people having the same problem, but on the other hand, there is a dozen developers trying to repro and they can’t, this makes people suspicious whether they are collectively having hallucinations or whether the bugs reports are just discarded.

There are also other reports, highly documented which are exhibiting true bugs like the one I’ve posted about trees disappearing then reappearing as you’re flying toward them. Regardless you’ve read my post about this or not, with all the included details documenting this precisely, there is no way this is a game creative decision to make trees vanishing in the middle of the forest as you get closer and to make them suddenly popping in afterward. From all angles this is a bug and I’ve documented how this is in a series of LOD related bug, and Zendesk reports.

Now following the general principles of documenting, illustrating, etc… the end result nonetheless is there is no acknowledgement of this bug at all as if there is none. I’m certain Sebastien couldn’t memorize every ongoing bug reports, there are too many of them, but because every Zendesk submission is closed and there is no feedback, such statement in a Q&A leaves the impression we’re reporting bugs in vain.

I honestly feel a little embarrassed Sebastien was asked the LOD question for the bugs I’ve factually documented (you might want to really read my posts prior answering this). So here are a few suggestions if I may:

1. For the next Q&A please make sure all questions the session moderator is about to ask have been prepared with answers: if there are many votes on a named problems, it is impossible to say there is no problem at all, it just doesn’t match the number of people reporting the problem and the number of developers reproducing and concluding there is none.
  2. For Zendesk bug reports, please add feedback for the sender about what is going on, whether discarded for a reason (lack of data to repro, inconclusive repro) or, work in progress. And for the later, it would be best to also get milestones (investigation started, trying to repro, analyzing data, postponed for further investigation, bug identified and triaged for postponed resolution, bug identified and triage for resolution now, etc…).

I believe just a tad more transparency with the bug reports should definitely quiet any “they do not care bug reports at all” comment and reassure people to continuing reporting bugs instead of making the same people which are contributing ending up thinking “I don’t care Flight Simulator at all either”.

PS: to spare you reading all my posts and illustrate my point, when measuring with the simulator developer tools the Terrain LOD slider which is in percent is adjusting LOD distance not by a factor of 2 when set to 200%, but 1.41 (which is the square root of 2), it makes wondering whether this is by design or a bug, and whether any “there is no LOD bug” comment is relevant. And regardless, I can’t believe people testing the simulator internally can’t repro the bug where trees are disappearing and reappearing, given the specific factors I’ve documented and the number of other people experiencing the very same problem (and this is only 1 kind of LOD bug in the simulator, there are others I and others have also documented precisely in the topics I’ve linked above - and submitted to Zendesk I shall add once again).

8 Likes