Live weather data issue - weather is 48+ hours old

No I donā€™t use multiplayer.

Iā€™ve had several other people confirm they have the same issue (both beta and stable build), so itā€™s not just impacting me. Itā€™s been happening now for about a week. Some days it does refresh eventually to current weather, other days it seems stuck on old data.

We noticed it with the winds aloft also - did the same route as one a couple of days ago and the upper winds were from 48 hours ago.

6 Likes

Mines the same on Xbox. Never correct even after a restart of the sim

2 Likes

If thereā€™s someone on planet earth I wonā€™t doubt one second when it comes to timing issues with Live weather in MSFS, itā€™s @utd4life12 (you might want to look up his activities and get an impression of his expertise).

Nevertheless I checked just now*, and no surprise: the world map showed old weather, so I VOTED!

*Due to the atrocity they call Live weather since SU7 (ā€œSome weatherā€ would be more appropriate) I donā€™t use MSFS for other purposes than occasionally checking if anything significant has changed - which has not - so I didnā€™t notice until now and wanted to check right away.
Unfortunately the other atrocity in MSFS has hit me as today I had the message that Gaming Services have been updated. Guess what? Trying to start MSFS took me to the MS Store/Gaming Services site - so I had to dive into this Rube-Goldberg-Machine they call simulator AGAIN just to start the application.

10 Likes

This problem has not yet been corrected, despite first being reported several days ago. It certainly appears to a server-side issue, not a game bug, and this sort of thing has occurred on many occasions in the past.

This is not the sort of problem that should require ā€œvotesā€ to get Asoboā€™s attention. If the Live Weather servers are providing obsolete, outdated model data it should be looked into and corrected - especially when reported by multiple users. MS/Asobo should monitor their own servers, so they know immediately when the Live Weather model data is outdated. It should not depend on end-users to tell them.

For one thing, it exacerbates the problem of model vs. METAR cloud blending, and ā€œabrupt transitionsā€ when the current METAR (for instance) shows low clouds and rain, but the overlying MeteoBlue model has partly cloudy because it ā€œthinksā€ that the storm system causing the low clouds and rain is still hundreds of miles upstream. That is exactly the situation today in the northeastern US.

10 Likes

Itā€™s embarrassing how this sort of issue gets zero attention or acknowledgment from the development team.

10 Likes

Please do not ping team members. Thank you.

It should be noted that this outdated data (when it occurs) is most common in the morning or early afternoon GMT. I just rechecked at 21:20Z on 16 April, and at the moment, the cloud patterns on the world map appear to be a close match to the latest satellite photo.

Yes I agree, noticed the same pattern at those times also.

What I have noticed though is that even though the cloud on the world map is wrong, the actual cloud cover in the game seems to be correct. Which is different to how it used to be when we had a similar bug last year. When it happened last year if the cloud cover on map was wrong it was also wrong in game. At least now it seems to still be correct in the game itself.

I think if Asobo had focused fixed servers and make sure we got the correct data injected at the right time most of the issues with METAR not matched would have fixed it self without any kind of injection of METAR. No wonder we complained back then that it was inaccurate when we had 12 hours of data loss and winds 225@3kts all the time. Nobody can say forecasts predicts 225@3kts winds all the time right?

Instead of only fixing those issues we now have METAR, Metoblue and ATIS that conflicts. I think this makes it even harder now to find issues and fix weather. The only thing that shows perfect whats happening in the sim is simvar values.

2 Likes

Issue persists into SU9 unfortunately. Cloud cover map outdated

5 Likes

I noticed the same thing immediately when I fired up MSFS this morning. Your screen shots show the problem well. The MSFS cloud map shows a north/south oriented cold front passing through the center of New York State. That was the location of the front yesterday (April 26) in early afternoon, almost 24 hours ago. As the real time satellite photo shows, that front (this morning) is now offshore and well east of New York State.

Live Weather is once again serving up outdated MeteoBlue model data. The airport METAR weather is accurate to the current conditions - but not the model forecast

3 Likes

Having such a large time difference between MeteoBlue and METAR data makes very high probability to see a METAR bubble with a complete different weather than MeteoBlue and then hard transitions. MeteoBlue and METAR data should be integrated based on the same time snapshot.
I am just assuming based on previous posts. Maybe the integration logic is more complex than what we are thinking, but definitively, something is going wrong with the weather on that world map. Feedback is logged, is that means that a Zendesk ticket has been logged ?

4 Likes

Frustrating thing is that yesterday (and this morning around 0500z) it was marching up and I thought SU9 had brought a fix.

As usual though it was short lived.

1 Like

MeteoBlue should generate an updated NEMS model forecast every 12 hours. According to the background info on their web site, the NEMS model runs begin at 0000Z and 1200Z, and are ready for end users by 0500Z and 1700Z.

It almost seems as if one of the two daily model runs in not being processed and imported into the Azure servers in a timely fashion. Each model run should contain forecast data for 24 discrete forecast hours. If there is a long delay getting one of the two daily models into Azure, perhaps it is falling back on the previous dayā€™s forecast run.

This problem seems to happen GMT mornings more often than GMT afternoons.

I am quite certain that this problem is not on MeteoBlueā€™s end. They are a professional weather forecasting company, and Microsoft is only one of many clients who utilize their services, most of whom (like public utilities and agricultural interests) absolutely depend on forecast data being made available on a predictable schedule.

5 Likes

Agree and I am almost certain this will be on Asoboā€™s end and it wouldnā€™t be the first time. Like the bug we had last year before METAR integration when the sim was missing a whole 12 hours of data every single day from around 20:00z-08:00z and it took us as the user to actually notice this and report it over and over again until they eventually did something about it.

3 Likes

Hello,

as usually will do tests and compare also.

This issue is still happening. Especially in regards to winds aloft. The upper winds are still totally wrong.

6 Likes

This has just happened to me. Completed a flight in New Caledonia, big rain front has passed off to the East. Started the sim again 15 minutes later, and live weather seems to be 24-48hrs old, heavy rain all around the island :rage:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just noticed that when loaded into the sim, the weather is correct as per the previous flight.
Its the World Map that is showing the old weather only

1 Like

Unable to reproduce.