Live Weather Does Not Match

Complete overcast here today in the UK, mostly comprised of a higher overcast layer not reported by METAR. The world map appears to show this really well:

But in-game, the usual cumulus mess since SU7

13 Likes

when i see those weather situations on the world map, i’m sure that i will see horrible clouds in game

3 Likes

Also sattelite images show overcast

Strange, real METAR do not match real weather. Who can fix that issue?

3 Likes

Well, METAR does not report overcast because the cloud is higher than the ceilometer used to record the clouds (5,000ft). But clearly Meteoblue forecast it correctly based on the world map overlay of cloud, so the question is why does it not show correctly in-game? Because Meter interferes? who knows, only Asobo.

7 Likes

Yes, because nems 30 model also report overcast

2 Likes

Do clouds displayed on the World map come from Meteoblue forcast or do they come from a satellite image ?

To me, the logical explanation is this, both the world map and the weather display icon, report overcast. But in-game, doesn’t show that. So somewhere from the data being sent from Meteoblue, to being injected into the game, something is going wrong.

lba2.PNG

5 Likes

Nobody knows besides Asobo i bet.

1 Like

My understanding was from Meteoblue, but I’m not 100% sure on that. I don’t think it’s satellite as I’ve seen plenty of days where there are bands of cloud visibile on satellite that aren’t visible on the world map

2 Likes

Ok…so what is the forcast on Meteoblue page ?, maybe this is the issue.

Depends what source they are using as there are multiple models and I don’t think it’s ever properly been confirmed what model Asobo are using from Meteoblue.

2 Likes

Better @utd4life12 answere that. Because he knows the exact location.

Edit: nope model has never been confirmed by Asobo more than that they using a multimodel.

Some users told me it’s nems 30. But never confirmed by devs

1 Like

lba5.PNG

Meteoblue seems accurate to me…

2 Likes

Yes, i think the best is to look at those forecasts you showing here. Those uses multimodel i bet. I’ve found those matching winds that is in the sim outside METAR areas.

Pre su7 cross-section tool matched most of the time. After su7 it matches sometimes and sometimes not. But often i see too much broken comulus type of clouds. Cloud coverage near ground is almost never visible anymore. I think it’s because they remove clouds near ground from Meteoblue because METAR needs to fit.

4 Likes

To me, this problem only came along since METAR and I think the problem is the way its implemented. I think rather than blending the data with what Meteoblue has on the server side, then sending this data to the client, they send the Meteoblue data then the METAR is blended on the client end. Of course to do it the first way there would always have to be some delay whilst they put all the data together on their end.

I think what we see here is what we’ve seen since SU7, where Meteoblue sends data that the sky is overcast, but METAR reports only scattered or broken cloud. So how should it show that? You’ve got two conflicting coverages, so what we actually get is just this broken mess.

5 Likes

My thoughts as well.

Also fog that Meteoblue is reporting is removed because we should get that from METAR instead to be accurate to METAR.

So i can’t even call it Meteoblue weather anymore.

METAR has priority

5 Likes

The thing is, if you watch back the Weather feature discovery video, you realise just how much the live weather has degraded, if you remove the fact that we now have RVR values (albeit in a metar bubble). It’s all well and good releasing new feature discovery videos about gliders and helicopters (which is great) but what about one of the core features of the sim which now doesn’t work as your own video says it does.

5 Likes

Good question. Hope Asobo can answere that. I want the weather engine i bought 2 years ago back again.

3 Likes

I do get that things have to evolve and change in order to improve and weather is no doubt one of the most complex areas to try and do that in. But I think there needs to come a time where developers say okay, we tried this, it clearly isn’t working, let’s go back to the drawing board and try a different strategy.

6 Likes

Thats why i ask to get it back. I have waited for them to tell that exact thing since su7 got released. And now after several updates i can totally see they will not improve weather more than change the transitions or whatever. I don’t want any kind of hard transitions. We didn’t have that at release and we should not have that now either.

2 Likes