Live Weather Does Not Match

This is also a feature that is needed. Include the time of the weather in the UI somewhere.
We need to know which METAR and Forecast Model is currently active.

4 Likes

well, I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but for now the weather is well updated. Match exactly what it shows on the meteoblue

1 Like

Asobo made an official announcement earlier today on one of the other weather threads that there was indeed a data problem that has been resolved.

THAT is an excellent suggestion. It would help both users and Asobo identify when there is a problem with the Live Weather forecast model date and time instead of having to compare the cloud depictions on the world map with current satellite photos to detect when there might be an offset.

2 Likes

It did for me too yesterday for a brief period of time. Today it’s back to being inaccurate sadly.

What’s really strange for me is that everyday before 7AM Local time and after 7PM LT the weather is spot on but after 7AM LT it forecasts 7 hours ahead but after around 11AM LT it goes behind about 6-8 hours?
WEIRD!

i still do not see weather at all (and in england it is raining heavy)

I used to not have weather at all as well. I went into options and turned on live weather (already on) and multiplayer on, restarted the sim er game, and weather started working here quite awhile ago. Sometimes its not spot on, like when I had snow @ KERI when just 10 min before it was 60 degrees and sunny.

Just had a situation where live weather did not match the RW metar. Are we supposed to submit a bug report for these or not?

Yeah is there a place to put reports? I was flying around northern Washington/ Vancouver Canada last night and live weather had this weird haze like clouds covering everywhere but the sun was shining through. In reality it was sunny and clear. Meteoblue weather app also reported the same thing. Tried relaunching, changing from clear to live in game and it would give me the same result.

Could we get some insight as to what is going on here? Live weather seems to have been broken since I started playing this game.

For me it works fine sometimes (maybe 80% of the time) but then I get a day where it doesn’t match real weather at all. Not sure what is going on you would think that they (Asobo) would like to know when it happens.

2 Likes

Same here. There’s days where I load up the sim turn on live weather and I know straight away okay today it’s not going to match.

Then most other times it is what I expect, sometimes very accurate to what I even see out the window.

Which part of the r/w METAR did not match? At present the sim, only uses three parameters from the current METAR: surface wind, surface temperature, and surface pressure. My experience has been that those three values usually correspond to the current METAR probably 97 percent of the time.

The METAR values for clouds, precipitation and visibility are not used. Those come from the MeteoBlue forecast model, and might (sometimes) be very close, and other times very different.

1 Like

Well the pressure was much lower than real world. 2942 vs 2974. Also heavy rain and low vis. which was not real. For me it matches 80% of the time.

We need more accurate weather, Atis doesn’t report weather conditions at the airport.

LTAF METAR

37m ago: Wind 050° 5kt, varying from 010° to 090°. Ceiling and visibility OK. Temperature 14°C, dew point -1°C. QNH 1028hPa. No significant change

But while Flying the ATIS reported completely different conditions.

If you want a real good time, start out at KCLE and head east along the lakeshore, as you fly along this route you will notice that about every 20 miles or so ‘weather boxes’ it seems they are reporting different data. You fly along this route, you start out and will have fairly choppy water, you hit the weather box and boom bam bing… the lake is as flat as glass and the BP will change…fly along to the next box and BAM! now you have a choppy lake again, until you get to the next station then its back to BP change and flat lake rinse and repeat 5 times…It really is a game changer, and it doesnt just happen at this location, Ive seen it in AZ, NY, and CA as well…

The live weather reports do not match with what I experience in the game. +1 Here.

First off, the weather system is not based on METARs, it’s based on real world live weather, so just like in real life, what the METAR says and what you see on the tarmac are not always the same. We’ve gotten used to holding METARs as the benchmark because of how weather engines for FS9, X, and P3D worked, but not any longer. You want to see what FS 2020 should show? Go look it up on Windy or on live cam feeds from the airport.

That being said, there still are issues with the weather system and i don’t think it’s quite there yet. One glaring issue for me right now is very abrupt changes in wind and pressure as you transition from one area to the next, the ones @BubbaBlitz7348 mentioned. Also, it looks like if you tune in the ATIS of an airport from 20-30 miles away, it will report the weather at your location, not at the airport.

So yeah. Compare the system to live real world weather, not to METARS.

1 Like

The Weather at my location was the same as I have seen at the airport.

Also proper visibility and haze layers are not simulated. Visibility is always almost infinite. It is getting tiring flying in pristine clear visibility. In the real world, it’s simply not the case.