Live Weather Does Not Match

If I remember right, an actual “restart flight” doesn’t take you back to the map screen. You press Esc, then “Restart flight”, or whatever the wording is, and do not press main menu. It then reloads the flight just like it did before.

I’m guessing you quit the flight, back to the main menu, then got that issue you see there?

I can see from you image the “Flight Conditions” button at the top right is highlighted, as it has a white border. Compare that to the aircraft selector button at the top left, which does not. But for some reason the lower window contents have not been drawn. Could have flip-flopped between those two options to get it to re-draw?

1 Like

I did ‘quit’ the flight rather than ‘restart’ it. The only thing that appears to get that page to work is quitting and restarting FS.

live weather not matching the northeast USA right now. showing rain showers in PA when in reality its clear blue skies.

LIRF, Rome Fiumicino Airport. Live weather not matching at all. Completely clear skies and sunny in real life, but overcast in the simulator. And in general, according to MeteoBlue website, big part of Italy is without a single cloud, but in-game, the same big portion of Italy is kinda overcast. Would be nice to solve this unrealistic issue…

I’m currently over the aegean sea. According to both Meteoblue and other live weather maps there should be a significant cell with heavy rain over the sea. I can even see it on the FlyByWire Flightpad map.
But the sim gives me clear skies with only a few cloud sprinkles.

How hard can it be to finally fix this?

1 Like

It’s clearly like the weather in the simulator is hours behind the real one. The big cell over Greece is present now in real life, but not got there yet in the sim.

1 Like

I was looking at past weather and it appears that MSFS is using old data from a few days ago rather than using current weather data.

EDIT - looking at past weather history and WX radars, the sim is currently getting it’s weather data from 4/21/21. It’s 3 days old.

1 Like

This is why we need a readout in the sim, from which forecast time the model is build.
So that we don’t have to guess when the wheather is stuck in the past, but can report it directly to Zendesk with the readout.

2 Likes

Just left KCEW. Current weather shows thunderstorms. Sim is clear skys. :frowning:

Well, people have been asking for historical weather, so… there you go. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Well the weather system (meteoblue) is not getting better that is for sure. It’s way behind.
2 days now, clear sky and 15 degree. Get in the sim, cloudy as hell and almost 0 degree!!
That is a pain for icing!! I don’t know what can be done, but after so many months it should be belter.
It’s almost impossible to get real weather right now!!

I will say this, the plane is reacting to the current weather (very bumpy in the stormy weather) just now displaying visually.

What is LIVE weather in any case, and what difference does it make, because whatever weather is in MSFS2020, is different, depending on where you are looking.

The weather depicted outside the plane
is different to
The weather reported on any Cockpit Instruments
is different to
The weather reported by Atis
is different to
The weather that ATC seems to be going by.

May as well be a Weather Random Generator

2 Likes

Since a few days the live weather is not working anymore. It’s been 3 days that there is full clear sky in France in real life and everything is cloudy is MSFS…
It’s very annoying especially when flying online on IVAO or VATSIM.
Winds in altitude are completely wrong… 30kts headwind instead of >70kts crosswind for example for my flight this afternoon

Something weird is definitely going on with live weather right now, the data is totally wrong.

I would suggest guys to submit a zendesk report as I am about to here: Submit a request – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support

Submitted one 20 min ago! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hopefully it brings it to their attention.

1 Like

so what is the difference between meteoblue and let say something like “active sky”?
If Asobo is saying that the sim has real weather and it seams nobody as it (this thing has been discussed for ever) than Asobo should had done like P3D or FSX and use proper metar as weather. It’s very confusing as some people keeps telling us that the weather works just fine, but I can’t get real weather or even close of it.

Currently meteoblue uses a ‘forecast data’ - this is where the sim gets it’s information from for cloud coverage, precipitation. This is currently coupled with certain weather data the sim takes directly from the METAR, this is currendly ground winds, temprature and pressure.

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. Using a forecast model obviously means sometimes the forecast is wrong, and when they get it wrong, this is when it doesn’t match up in the sim.

They could just rely on METAR data, however this comes with big limitations. For example for cloud cover, many METARs when the cloud base is above 5,000ft, it gets reported as CAVOK. So it could be overcast cloud yet if this overcast layer was at lets say 6,000ft the metar would report CAVOK or NCD (No cloud Detected) This would then show the weather in the sim as clear which isn’t correct.

Going forward I think they need a mix of both their meteoblue forecast model AND the full data from the METAR to give an overall ‘picture’ of the weather.

Another further limitation is that the weather forecast data seems to get updated twice a day. From what I can gather this seems to be around 07:00z and then again at 19:00z, or round about those times. The issue here is the later updata of around 19:00z loads in the weather model data for the following day. So if you are flying in the sim at that time, you are going to get the weather for the following day to come and not current weather. This is currently a huge limiation of the model they are using.

You can sort of get around it I find, by changing your PC time back a few hours, so let’s say if it’s 19:00z and its already loaded in the model for the next day, change your pc time to let’s say 15:00z and it will switch back to the weather around that time. It won’t be 100% correct but I find it’s okay as a solution for now especially if the weather forecast the next day is drastically different.

1 Like