Live Weather Does Not Match

This would be TERRIBLE! It would be immersion-breaking like in XP. Very bad idea!

I don’t care whose fault it is really, its not a witch hunt. I just want the program I purchased, to function in the way that I expect it to. I dont think thats an unreasonable request, i’ve paid the price of admission. And as a customer, even some acknowledgment would go a long way…but the more time passes the less far even that goes.

3 Likes

Same I just want it fixed too lol. I guess my point was, if neither of the parties involved have even acknowledged theirs a problem, Im losing hope that were gonna see this fixed anytime soon. :frowning:

They both think its all fine and dandy, and its user error. Not true

I understand your point…unite! Lol

1 Like

Curious about two things Meteoblue mentioned:

1. The issue is likely on our local games not accessing the proper info;

And 2) “It works for most.”

With the first, that would suggest a server issue, no? As in, non-European simmers are connected to non-European-based servers, and those servers aren’t receiving or transmitting all the weather data properly.

Easy to test, however. Do folks in Europe get winds outside of Europe in the sim? Seems the answer is No. So the answer isn’t the local servers being accessed, it’s further up the data stream than that.

For the second, how accurate is that statement, that most have no issues with winds? Are we really just a small subset of total users who just are unfortunate enough to have this issue? Is there anyway to realistically calculate such a percentage?

Not that it matters if we all here are just a low percentage edge case (which I highly doubt), we still deserve some efforts towards a resolution or at least an acknowledgment that an issue exists and is real. Not a fan of sweeping things under the rug with blanket statements like “It works for most.” Well, great for them; but don’t we matter too?

I can’t recall seeing any metric telling us how intense the winds were or any such narrative…it’s a pretty picture show for the world in essence. So it strikes me as “no problem here, carry on.” , when that indeed not the case…but why would anyone care right? All concerned have our money now.

1 Like

Yeah its not a server issue as you said. Im in the US and if I run the european servers I get the same results when flying in the US or Europe for example.

And yes the “it works for most” statement is bogus. It should be “most haven’t noticed this issue”.

I hate the whole simmer vs gamer argument, but its clear that casual players will not care or ever notice something like this. So thats one (rather large compared to other flight sims) subset of people who fall into the “works for most category”.

The other subset of people who this “works for” are people who have only flown in Europe (or other areas?) where live weather works. Ive seen numerous people who think this live weather thing is nuts, until they try finally flying outside of where theyve had luck (usually europe) to see that this issue persists for them as well in the US and many other places where it doesnt work.

I would argue this issue likely exists for everyone, but only a small niche of us have been exposed to it and have noticed. The experienced, I hate to say it “simmers” who have come from other platforms and have flown in areas where its not working are the subset of people posting about this here and in other places.

Something is broken upstream, and until they care enough to swallow their pride? Publicly admit its flawed? Whatever it is, they arent going to fix it.

The first step is someone acknowledging the problem isnt us, its them lol

3 Likes

My understanding is that weather is based on predictions not live weather.

True, but if the prediction is that winds at any altitude anywhere in the entire united states is exactly the same, then their predictions are garbage lol :joy:

2 Likes

You must fly in Europe mostly? You surely haven’t noticed the constant 225/03 wind? I urge you to try somewhere in the lower 48 or Canada. And please…if you do try this and experience that…report to zendesk and if you experience different…please do report back here.

1 Like

Unless I cannot see it, there needs to be a debug window that maybe pops out like the ATC/Camera window that displays stats. A weather tab of some kind showing;

Is there a connection to the live weather server?
Is there data received from the weather server?
What is it?
What is the game’s weather settings?
Checking - does the above two match?

I don’t mind submitting bug reports but I really don’t feel there is much more users can provide than it sometimes work, sometimes doesn’t. If those of us experiencing issues can pinpoint where in the ‘chain’ the problems are likely occuring then this must save the devs a huge amount of time.

2 Likes

This would be a great idea. But unfortunately they would have to pay attention to the issue in the first place for it to be implemented. Im hoping that once this next patch comes out, and the install issues are sorted they can focus more on in game issues like this.

However im doubtful that even then this will be a priority sadly. With all the bellyaching about the autopilots (which ive yet to have kill me btw) and tire smoke/contrails, scenery landmarks missing etc, I feel like this issue is going to be drowned out for a while. Hopefully im wrong though! Lol

2 Likes

I wasn’t in the alpha/beta but I am unsure if they (the developers) got the value from it. Many people I knew were in the beta releases just treated it like an early access and didn’t report the problems. Equally were such tools available to the testers?

It would make sense to have that debug information available. Developers are going to be tied up with what to fix because of time. If we can save time by providing more detailed reports, it’s only a win-win for them and the FS community. Hats off to those who have identified some patterns of it working/not working but I still think a lot of it is speculative which will still take the devs more time to find the culprit.

1 Like

This right here; not noticing or caring even if noticed. I gotta admit, although I consider myself a serious “simmer” striving to replicate real life as much as I possibly can in the sim, it was probably three of four days of flying before I noticed the winds were bunk. Partly that was just because of overload in trying to figure out all the other stuff; controller and video settings, the G1000 glass, etc. And partly because I didn’t know there was a way to bring up the winds in the G1000 to see what was actually going on. But it was definitely a few days before something tickled the back of my brain, and for me it was “why does this thunderstorm have ZERO turbulence?” After that, I realized that my groundspeed was never more than a couple kts different than TAS, and I started to research it and found I wasn’t alone.

Hate to say it, but you’re likely right on the money. The scenery issues in particular, I think, are going to take top priority. After all, the super pretty scenery is perhaps the one major selling point that applies to both the “simmers” and “gamers” (agree with you about hating making such a distinction) out there, and what MS/Asobo has advertised as a key primary selling point. Unfortunately, no winds but pretty clouds/weather still lets people fly in visually realistic situations, even if not actually realistic conditions. In fact, for the more “gamer”/new flight simmers, no winds is probably a huge positive in that it eliminates a source of pilot error while they figure out how to fly while still giving them the impression of an immersive, real-world scenario.

It’s a shame. Flight sims more than any other type of simulator rely explicitly on the atmosphere and it’s weather conditions for a realistic simulation (duh), and it’s often put on the back-burner for other details that are deemed more pressing. I can totally live with the Washington Monument looking like a very skinny office building IF I have accurate weather to fly my semi-realistic aircraft through. Fixing the weather equates to a more accurate simulation experience; fixing the Washington Monument just fixes a visual bug, but does nothing to really enhance the simulation.

-Jason

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! And yes we aren’t alone, but I do sort of feel like this issue is going to the backburner. Upsetting for now, but eventually they will HAVE to sort this out, or my belief is that other developers will realize this issue and capitalize on it by providing us with Active Sky, or something similar as people in our position will likely cough up the money to get this fixed by a third party if Asobo/Meteoblue are too busy fixing visual problems.

1 Like

Make some noise :slight_smile: I for one can have a big mouth when I need to. Despite the other things that are being worked on, and have been addressed. This issue has been persistent for long enough…and i know for sure people have reported it. To me, its the proverbial “Fly in the ointment.” I still fly with it…but that wind sure does annoy my sense of immersion. Especially when I know how beautifully this CAN be captured.

you should reply back to them to watch the lunasworld youtube video where they went into the hurricane…HE notices the wind :wink:

Aboslutely; 3rd party will step in for certain. Even without this bug, I’m sure HiFi are already looking at bringing in Active Sky, as there is by default room for improvement. I’m thinking specifically of Meteoblue using a synthesized approximation of METAR data that may be an hour or more behind real-world, whereas Active Sky uses real-time reporting data for its weather injection.

Having used the latest dev releases of AS for P3Dv5, and previous versions for FSX, I’d be pretty stoked to see HiFi come to the table!

Could not agree more! The potential here is truly off the chart, and bogus winds are a HUGE immersion killer. I mean, the sky is our sandbox, and the sky=winds. I’d be pretty bummed about playing in a sandbox with no sand. As I am bummed about a flight sim with no winds.

-TermedWinner896, aka Keegan5KingPup

1 Like

I saw reference in a different related thread about winds that had a post from a guy who had success by disabling a part of his modem. (Something about turning off the IPv6 protocols? Not sure I’m remembering correctly.)

Anyone know of this thread off hand? And if so, how one would go about trying his fix? I’d like to give it a go, but can’t seem to locate that topic now.

1 Like

I literally just did! I was like hey, here’s proof from a large sim channel and many have seen the video.
If the problem isn’t on their end, its not fair to them or to us to not be able to enjoy the full potential of their work. I was like, hey maybe tell Asobo there is something up, and we are starting to notice it? lol