Live weather don't seems to be accurate

The live weather is not quite accurate compare to the real world it seems…as i tried flying in my area, which was stormy and raining heavily for over an hour…but when i tried to fly the same area for over 15 mins in msfs selecting live weather, it was clear sky and sunny day… i have gd internet connection so what is causing such a big difference?

I also tried taking off from another location/ airport using live weather twice within 10-15 mins , the 1st time it was stormy and raining heavily but the second time just minutes later it was sunny and clear sky…hope msfs team pls look into the live weather function in msfs 2020 and see if something is wrong? I used to fly in fsx with Active sky 2016 as weather engine, and the live weather in fsx was quite accurate to real world.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, the “live” weather is a huge letdown. I give Asobo the benefit of the doubt and say it’s maybe a server problem instead of a serious issue with their weather engine. At least I hope so.

I am currently flying around the PNW region across the US and Canada and the cloud ceiling at my destination airports was always wrong. I sometimes had 0 visibility albeit the METAR said it was at 6000 ft. I was lucky the airfield I was going to had a single ILS approach I could use, so at least I did not crash.

Pure and utter frustration.

1 Like

Can concur live weather is accurate in UK.

Storm Francis blew me off the taxiway. Wind was too strong for the rudder and nose wheel :rofl:

My real world airport has been in a flightsim “dead zone” zone for years now, since some bean counter decided to close down the local weather reporting station at the local airport, and the nearest reporting stations are far enough apart that whole thunderstorms can simply disappear as far has real weather is concerned in the sim. Many days the weather is sunny and clear in the sim, regardless of what’s actually going on out my window.

It seems to have gotten worse in this version though. I used to be able to fly off in any given direction, and after 20 minutes or so in a 172, I’d fly out of the dead zone. I tried to chase storms up in Wisconsin this morning, and had to fly much further north to find light rain, and never actually found the storms.

I know they’ll work on it, and that there probably isn’t much they can do about my local situation, but I’m basically just going to give up chasing local weather for now.

Live weather is not accurate at all in msfs 2020 in asia that i fly in mostly…maybe even worst than fsx default live weather. I doubt MS/asobo will fix it given their long list of backlog and considering their other plans such as xbox, VR etc…maybe 3rd party like Active sky next etc will eventually come out with their weather engine for msfs 2020.

It actually looks more like a data issue than a coding problem and I’d be fairly confident that they’ll get it sorted.

Don’t understand why the live weather is not “live weather”. Where are they getting it from? Are they making it up? All you have to do is google it. Let’s hope that HIFI Technologies are working actively on Active Sky 2020.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I believe the weather is not generated from metars but predicted data. It’s very disappointing. This sim is so beautiful but things like the inability to generate current real world weather is starting to get frustrating.

I loaded up the game as a large rain storm was passing my area (in the mid-west US) and from the globe it was perfectly clear over my area but there was a line of showers that looked to be “back in time” on the map perhaps 4-8 hours. That was really disappointing.