Live weather fix (workaround)

Well I hope it works for you, have you tried yet?

I did spend 3 months in Cleveland Ohio many years ago for a work related project. That was also prone to Tornados. Was permanently sunny and about 30C if I remember correctly when I was there. Coming back home to 10C and grey rain was a shock to the system :slight_smile:

Yes would be good to get that working correctly too.

1 Like

Well now this is something I’ll have to pay more attention to. I always ASSUMED that ATC would give me the correct runway for landing/takeoff. Good thing they can at least give you the option for another runway now. To they botch runways for takeoffs as well or is it more runways for landing?

I know, I know…never assume anything.

Hi,
I just had to reinstall FS (again what a drag), and once installed again, took off from my local airport with real time & weather. Only thing is, The wind here is currently NW at 35 knots, and my little cessna should have been blown off the runway. Also, the water was quite calm (from what I saw in the dark).
Is this something that can be fixed or is there an issue with real weather?
Thanks
PaulysFSPauly

This should be a solution (albeit temporary until fixed permanently) and used as a workaround for you and thousands of others. Just follow the steps. Going to test it out today in numerous locations and compare but it does sound indeed that it works now using this method.

The fact that this was already addressed by devs gives me great hope they can consistently clear the cache each new flight with a fix.

Did you try what I originally posted here?
If you follow those instructions I’m guessing you’ll get the correct weather.

1 Like

In my experience they never give you wrong runways for take-off, or at least I haven’t had anything like that yet. Say you choose your departure and destination airports (not the runways or SIDs, just the airport) in the world map, selected IFR from the drop down menu and spawn. In this case in my experience it takes into consideration wind intensity, direction and overall weather and gives you a runway from where you will be taking off into the wind. However, if you choose a SID either from the world map or GPS/G1/3000, it will stick to your desire and never change it no matter which direction the wind is coming from.

When it comes to landings, it’s really 50/50 most of the time. Sometimes it does take wind direction into consideration and gives you a runway/approach where you will land into the wind. And sometimes it will be stubborn beyond belief where you will have no option to change its mind even if you try hard. Even if you choose the correct approach/runway where you will land INTO the wind, it will grant you the approach but mess with your brain and life by telling you to “circle to land” (with a tailwind on your tail).

Not to mention the AI ATC has the ability to delete waypoints from your flight plan in the GPS/G1/3000 whenever it likes and completely mess up your whole flight. It actually happened today when it decided to clear me for an approach a bit too early (which is fine) but then decided to delete waypoints from my present position to the approch’s IAF.

At this point I’ve decided never to use this useless AI ATC ever again.

1 Like

Agreed that ATC is 50/50 clueless on which runway we should land on. I just had to land with a 5kt wind behind me. It is annoying as heck when you create your FP and prepare the destination based upon the wind direction being correct.

Landing = Random(1,2);

Edit: Landing = Random(0,1); // My compiler is “one” based… My bad.

2 Likes

Not working for me!

Well I’m back and here to tell ya at least for me, this works 100%! What a refreshing change!

Took off from my old FBO at KBTV (Burlington, VT) and didn’t choose weather “live” and instead chose “clear skies” in the preset. As such it was indeed clear when spawned. Then chose “live” for weather and it showed in the sim what it should be along with temp according to weather (Windy) app on iPad.

Filed for Boston but visibility was so bad (just as the Windy app showed, so no surprises) I diverted about 20 miles out and flew to my other hometown of Morristown, NJ (KMMU). About halfway there (again as shown in the Windy app on iPad) the clouds would periodically break now and then as I anticipated.

Closing in on Morristown began to freeze up some but according to the weather app it should be quite warmer at ground level. Sure enough as I was on final the temp was EXACTLY what the weather app showed as current, 46°.

So weather was not only correct for takeoff field, but enroute as well and including the destination field.

Can’t thank ya enough for passing this info along! Like I said, what a refreshing change.

2 Likes

I hope they fix the issue for the rain effects as well. Seems like I’m only able to see RAIN when using an HDMI cable. I currently switched it back to a DP cable and no more rain effects

Yes. In so far as precipitation goes there seems to be a lack of it, according to the real world weather reports. While flying it seems like a heavy rain in the sim is more like a light rain. Haven’t experienced any snow yet. I know there is a thread that was started on this quite a while ago.

@FlyinJPetrol turned me onto this weather fix last week (thanks again, mate) and it’s worked perfectly since. It’s still annoying that you have to select live weather in each flight, but as long as the weather works, I’ll take what I can get.

1 Like

It did work for me. Thanks!

Yeah I wasn’t sure who originally posted it, I saw it buried deep inside a discussion on live weather elsewhere.

Thought it best to bring it to the forefront with a more obvious title and hopefully some clearer steps on how to do it.

I noticed somebody has posted a you tube vid on it about 5 hours after I posted here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lol, ATC wanted me to land on 28 at Princess Juliana in a 747 because of 3 knots downwind for 10. No, no, no.

I was actually told about it by someone else a month or so ago in another thread, but I can’t remember their name.

So thanks to whoever that was!

1 Like

Why should we have to do any kind of workarounds?
Issues like this should already be fixed. (before release actually)

This workaround does not work for me.

1 Like

Since live weather always works after FS2020 relaunch, Asobo should know by now which file to refresh when we start a new flight. Maybe that’s naive thinking cuz i am no programmer. Ideally clicking on the map does the refresh because people could still decide not to fly because of really bad weather.