Live weather fix (workaround)

I figured that was what was happening. Maybe one day this’ll al be a thing of the past. I appreciate your video, made me jump back in the sim a bit more than usual.

1 Like

Im taking-off from Riga (evra) and the metar says overcast at 700 ft and light snow. MSFS shows clear skies :slightly_frowning_face:

Yesterday I had the same problem.

It seems that live weather its not accurate anymore or not in certain areas.

The only draw back to using the workaround that I see is that if there are really strong winds at the departure airport ,but not favoring the preferred runway , ATC will use the wrong runway.

For example GCLP has two parallel runways 21/03. The calm wind runways are 21 L / R because of Noise Abatement. I think because of this MSFS uses those runways when the flight is loaded with clear Wx.
Currently there are strong winds out of N-NE usually in the 20-35 kts ball park. So after the Live Wx is loaded these winds show up but ATC will keep the 21 runways active even though now the 03s would be a much better choice.

If I load Live Wx right from the WorldMap the correct runways for the winds are used…but as we know of course only for one flight :frowning:

Yeah, that’s the down side which I’ve mentioned a few times in various posts. Regardless of the real wind conditions in sim after you load live weather using the workaround, the active runways at both your departure and arrival airports will be based on the wind conditions when you loaded into the sim with the default 225/5. Su you may end up having to take off or land with a nasty cross or tail wind, even though the airports have a more suitable runway available. It can make for some pretty perilous takeoffs and landings.

This is why this issue needs a permanent fix and why I’m always piping in correcting people when they call this procedure a “fix” vs a workaround. It’s not a fix. Not even remotely.

1 Like

I know it may break some peoples Immersion, but you can just ignore the ATC advice and take off/land in the best direction for the current wind values.

1 Like

You can, but ATC will cancel your IFR for that. The other option is to take off wherever and call in your IFR clearance from the air.

But then you also have to cancel out your IFR before landing in order to get a proper approach.

Like I said, this is a workaround. There are many ways you can choose to handle it. But it’s a workaround, not a fix. The only people that can fix this are Asobo.

1 Like

Ah, sorry I didn’t realise it mucks up IFR, I’m still waiting for them to fix some of the bugs and update the Garmin before I start playing around with that.
I’m just having fun in VFR for the time being :slight_smile:

Like so many things in this sim, you have to learn to work around issues, shortcomings and omissions. People who want a by the book, true to life, real world IFR experience right down to the buttonology required in their plane of choice will be disappointed for sure. Particularly people flying airliners.

But IFR in a GA is totally doable if you’re willing to learn, accept and work around the shortcomings. The fact I’m not actually a pilot probably helps me with that. lol

Actually, I have been flying the CJ4 with the WT mods and Pilot2ATC and it is extremely realistic IFR.

That sounds like a workaround to me. lol

1 Like

Tough crowd tonight! Lol

Heck, for me it doesn’t even work for the first flight. Irl, surface winds will be 270 @ 8 knots and in the sim it’ll be 140 @ 17 knots. Never accurate winds for me; not even close. And I literally just had to reinstall the simulator because it would crash mid-flight quite often.

That’s a completely different issue. Nothing to do with this topic at all. Your weather is working. It’s just not showing real world conditions. The topic of this thread is not seeing any weather AT ALL after the first flight. That’s what the workaround corrects. It does nothing to correct inaccurate weather.

Ahh, gotcha. So people with this issue have no winds at all / calm?

Correct. On the first flight, we get weather. Whether it’s accurate or not is another issue. It’s generally close-ish to real life, but it can vary. At least we get weather.

On subsequent flights, we get clear skies, 29.92 pressure, winds 225/5. Basically, the same conditions as when you manually select the clear weather profile. The only way to get live weather to work again is to restart the sim.

Either that, or use this workaround. Although this workaround has its issues as well.

Yikes. I don’t know what’s worse. Having to do this workaround, but you get accurate weather, or what I have, which is weather, but not accurate at all with no workaround.

Hi. I had problem with clear skies and no live weather. For me the solution is to run sim in administrator mode (right click on shortcut and select run as administrator). Live weather then seems to run as expected. Unfortunately the advanced setting on the shortcut does not allow this to be set permeantly.

I have always run the sim in adminstrator mode but not had any luck with the live weather apart from on the first flight. Unless I use the workaround I always get Clear skies on any subsequent flights.

I’ve had the weather issue since November. Running the sim in admin mode or not makes no difference whatsoever.

The problem with this workaround is that the destination runway is not selected by the live weather. We need to check the wind direction when making a flight plan.