Load time FS2020

Load time question,
I have FS 2020 installed on a D drive, a normal HGST HTS721010A9E630 drive, load times until the menu appears 6 1/2 minutes.
Can anyone give their loading time until the menu, want to compare before i installe a SSD drive.
Thanks
Regards, Piet

1 min 10sec until the ā€œpress keyā€ and then another min until the full menu. So all in all from click to full menu is ~2.5 min. on SSD.

First loading from fresh restart (although I do have some other work stuff running in the background)
0:00 double click desktop icon
0:29 to black screen (i.e. first apparent response)
1:14 splash screens complete, click any key screen
1:35 start of checking for updates
1:46 update checks complete blue bar progression starts
2:01 change in background picture mid blue bar
3:25 load complete, full menu up

However, I thought Iā€™d see what happens on closing MSFS and then immediately restarting - my suspicion being that having loaded some stuff first time, it will be quicker the second time. Hereā€™s what I got:

0:24 to black screen (i.e. first apparent response)
1:03 splash screens complete, click any key screen
1:12 start of checking for updates
1:26 update checks complete blue bar progression starts
1:31 change in background picture mid blue bar
2:39 load complete, full menu up

So quite a bit quicker. I also donā€™t always get ā€œchecking for updatesā€ although more recently that has seemed more consistent.

Sometimes, I never see the TBM part of the blu bar loading screen - it goes straight from ā€œchecking for updatesā€ to the blue bar 50%+ complete

This will definitely perform better on an SSD, especially if thatā€™s where you put your rolling cache.

Hope that helps

1 Like

my new pc runs on m.2 nvme drives . still takes 2-3 minutes to the startup page. bout the same on ssd and 15-30 seconds longer on 7200 spinner. i wonder how much of that is taken up by some kind of cloud base function. i noticed a bit longer on the full version over the standard.

1 Like

Thanks for youā€™re loading times, not that bad after all, but the tip to place the rolling cache on the M.2 drive could help a bit.

tip to shorten the loading time a little

From icon click to menu is 2:30 for me. M2 drives all around.

There is already a thread about this actually but my load times are like 3 minutes from the time I click on the desktop icon to actually sitting on the runway in a plane with a saved flight. From desktop to main menu is about 2 minutes.

yea thats what in seeing also. im running nvme all around but have tested the sim on both ssd and 7200 spinner with the same results. i think this sim is more cloud based than we think. it wants to phone home. i wonder is setting it up to run offline would speed up the startup. i dont remember where i saw that optionā€¦ xbox or steam. i will check when i get home.

Offine didnā€™t matter for me. I have ran offline with and without rolling cache enabled. Same performance either way. Load times the are the same, fps is the same and minor stutters and pauses are the same. Even in the same exact places.

And actually disabling rolling cache and running on the defualt scenery LOST performance and fps by a slight amount lol.

I have read that disabling rolling cache while in online mode helps with stutters. I havenā€™t tried it yet though.

same here. the last patch fixed my stutters with simconnected hardware. but now that u say it i do have intermittent micro stutters i blamed on graphic loading. i wonder how it would run if i turn off all online functions. i did try manually loading the cache for a section of socal i flew in and it was horrible.

Some people are saying if you disable rolling cache while playing online it gits rid of stutters. I havenā€™t tried it yet personally.

The downside is it will use a lot more data. The whole point behind rolling cache is if you have been in that area before and it is still in cache it will load it from your drive instead of try to download it. With it off it will just keep downloading it every time.

Iā€™m getting similar results and I have dedicated SSD pcei. My internet download speed is only 20-22 mps. Iā€™ve wondered if say a 100mbs would decrease this time or maybe improve minor stutters from time to time.

Latest patch load timesā€¦

0:28 to black screen (i.e. first apparent response)
1:10 splash screens complete, click any key screen
1:40 change in background picture mid blue bar
1:54 load complete, full menu up

Massively quicker for the blue bar progression and about 90 seconds quicker overall

i have a bug loading, when i install all of my addons to community folder, i have 163 folders inside community folder in total. My sim startup time goes from 2,5 min to 25 min. Addons cause 2 over 10 min pauses.
can anybody help?

HD or SSD? I have 90 folders and 17Gb in my community folder and getting the times I posetd above. I think SSD is essential for this. Is the game on the same drive? Not sure if that makes a difference?

Closing topic. There is logged bug report on this here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-logged-long-load-times-or-when-community-folder-is-starting-to-be-full/273122