Local Legend 10: Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Finished a quick 25 minute flight. Couple of observations:

• AH did a better job in this cockpit and exterior than they did in the DC-3 thats for sure. Still not a fan of theirs, but this one looks a lot better. However as others said another fully modeled passenger cabin we can’t go in? Odd decision…
  • None of the temperature gauges functioned for me. I pulled the mixture up and down and CHT, oil, etc remained static.
  • I used the GNS selection and was able to get the AP to work on Nav. The heading selection is down on the Sperry gyro pilot as opposed to the course heading knob.
  • Sounds are very poor
  • No manual for console users
  • (Edit) No idea how accurate the flight model is, but it felt “heavy” in the turns which was good to see. Got off the ground awfully quick though
4 Likes

Can go in the passenger cabin if you use the drone camera.

We will have to open the cameras.cfg file change the camera to outside the plane , move inside the cabin, sabe a custom view, roll back the cameras file, load again and use the saved view to setup wing views or cabin views…
Some devs like to give us some work to do…

2 Likes

Where is the actual compass on this aircraft? I see the Gyro Drift but this is often with actual compass.

I don’t understand why someone keeps bringing up the ability to walk through the cabin with a drone? It is perhaps clear that switching to a drone during an airplane flight is not the same as moving through the cabin as naturally as in the cockpit. Why the creators make this restriction is also a mystery to me. Like many others, I do not buy airplanes that do not allow movement directly into the passenger cabin, as well as do not have the possibility of opening doors. Even PMDG understood that it was losing money and included this option (passage through the cabin) in its B737 during the update. Too bad it didn’t do the same for the DC-6.

7 Likes

Are there any lights in the cockpit for night landings? Just struggled to land at LIEE after the sun set and it was very difficult to read the instruments and find the different switches. I tried to press L but that turned on an invincible lamp somewhere which was very bright but I couldn’t find any switch to turn it on or off. There seems to be same light bulbs above my head but I have no idea how to turn them on! Very nice aircraft though :smiley: and I did actually a rather nice landing despite the dark cockpit! :slight_smile:

Somewhat at least. Their P51 is very expensive and still has pretty mediocre sounds. The wind drowns out the engine. Still have to try this one out though! Downloading now.

1 Like

Away from xbox, what’s the price?

$15 unless you own deluxe or premium, then $10.

2 Likes

What about that cabin light switch next to the Beacon light? Then the knobs above that, the left one says “pilots light knob”. I haven’t tested these because I’ve only flown in the day, but give those a shot.

AP is definitely bugged, no bank limiter at least on heading mode, so it just rolls over into a death plunge. Hope the AP gets sorted out pretty quick, though I’m waiting for some liveries, particularly UAT’s livery of it.

$15 AUD.I’m taking the gamble even after reading about the bugs. Anything over $20 AUD nope!!,not yet.

1 Like

It’s almost certain to get fixed eventually, so I can imagine it’s a worthwhile purchase either way.

Exiting promotion video for the new 307 Stratoliner!

15 Likes

That was great! Gotta get me one of those!

1 Like

The Duckworks mod for the DC-3 makes it one of the best ‘default’ aircraft, in my opinion.

Aeroplane Heaven keeps supplying really iconic aircraft, so maybe the community will make epic overhaul mods for the Trimotor and 307 as well.

8 Likes

Fantastic. Who doesn’t want to be hurled through space in noiseless comfort? I love these old promo videos.

3 Likes

maybe one of the PC pilots can post a pdf of the manual that came with their Stratocaster? XBox X uses do not have one and there are no manuals for it on the MSFS page

3 Likes

I hope so. I own most of the local legend/famous flyers and have only really been disappointed by the Do J and the Fokker F.VII.

Until the 307 is updated it is firmly on that short list. It looks beautiful but to me it performs something awful.

Besides the no auto-start, AP issue and constant left roll, I cannot seem to get the aircraft above 100 knots unless in a dive. I have messed with the aircraft a fair amount today and it just will not do so.

2 Likes

Others are not having this issue? Is your propeller controller reversed maybe? Are you getting 2300-2400 rpm at full throttle ?