Local Legend I: Junkers Ju 52

+1 to this, I highly suspect the flight model is having an issue there, there is no way this thing can rotate faster than a Cessna 152, in these conditions the plane should either stall or not take-off at all.

Could I ask you to share it via PM? I am trying to test this thing at different altitudes and winds and I would like to know the correct procedures.

Good idea. Will try tomorrow.

Yeah, still wondering what the “Gas” thing does? Never seen something like this.
We need a manual!

1 Like

It limits the physicsl travel of the throttles below 800m. At least it‘s supposed to, maybe someone has checked if it‘s actually working.

„Gas geben“ is a familiar expression for throttling up

makes no difference for me.

Ah okey, i know, i speak (Swiss)german, so the language is not the problem to understand, just the function. :slight_smile:

That could make sense, as according to a Manual i found, you set the throttles at takeoff to about 90% and dont firewall them. So this could be kind of a safety-thing then?

1 Like

Yes. Supercharger crankshaft driven. I edited my post. (Turbocharger are exhaust driven)

1 Like

Gruezi. As I understood the manual so far. You can go to takeoff power and after 1min you need to throttle back. It could be that this switch limits that range so the throttle is not accidentally pushed into take off during cruise.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, that could make sense. :slight_smile:

Its kinda funny that we are probably investing more time to figure this plane out than actually Flying it
 LOL

A manual would probably have prevented that :upside_down_face:.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t know what they were thinking shipping this with no manual whatsoever. All these things people want to know! It’s encouraging that so many here are interested in finding out how this thing works. (Or supposed to)
 then again, we might be digging deep into things that may not even be simulated on this implementation of the aircraft. I have a feeling they didn’t go very deep. Just the basics, but then
 having a functional supercharger would be one of the basics for this bird!

4 Likes

They need to properly supercharge the engines, like the ryan, to make it as real as they’re, they need to acomplish some basic things for having a proper model, and that one is to meet the specs of the aircraft as close as they can, with that said, the other aspects of the aircraft are just perfect, so, is like getting a bittersweet experience, it can be perfect, but they didnt finished it properly, and that felling is not a pleasant one.

1 Like

I’m not sure about this. The Ju-52 has quite a low wing loading (at least what I could find on the internet), combined with some flaps, a ton of prop-wash over the wings, full power before brake release, ground effect and thrust vector pointing up I think it CAN take-off in a very short distance. I hope nobody is stupid enough to actually try in real life, if you loose an engine its immediately game-over.

Not saying it should take-off vertically like one of your first videos, so far I haven’t seen anybody reproduce this so that still is quite a mystery.

Ju-52 wing loading:

Wing area = 110.5 m2
Empty weight = 5720 kg

Wing loading = 5720 / 110.5 = 51.77 kg / m2

For illustration, Cessna 172 is not far off with 47 kg / m2 at empty weight. And does not have the benefit of propwash over the wings (ok, a little bit at the wing root) and thrust vector naturally pointing up with a lot of thrust during take-off.

2 Likes

That might have been caused by a bug with winds, that is why edited the post, sometimes the weather system in the world map, when using live weather, reports a lower/higher wind-speed than the one present once in the sim.

But either way, I doubt a plane of this size can lift off in 3 seconds, I am no expert though so if there is a video around I would love to be proven wrong!

2 Likes

The 1939 original manual states a takeoff roll distance of 330 m and a takeoff distance to clear a 20 m obstacle of 580 m at MTOW of 10000 kg, so while it certainly won’t liftoff after 3 m like in the first video it’s actually pretty close to a Cessna 152. That one has a ground roll distance of 910 ft and a 50 foot clearance distance of 1680 ft at MTOW and 2000 ft pressure altitude at 20 degrees C.

1 Like

Has anyone seen the Lubricant pressure needles move at all? The manual states that they need to start moving after engine start and they have narrow tolerances in flight. I was able to start the engines and fly but they remained at zero. Looks like a bug to me. I even flew by the original manual and it didn’t change anything.

Isn’t that part of the fun too :slight_smile:

As you can see in this video https://youtu.be/hYg063puT7A?t=266 at 4:26 the ata at max throttle is only 0.8 and it has the same BMW radial engines. Also I could not find anything regarding the supercharger inside the POH from 1936. I have read somewhere that the supercharger automatically engage in higher altitudes, but I don’t find my source right now

Could be although there is not much benefit in having an altitude boosted supercharger. Superchargers are usually installed to boost the performance at low altitude, turbo’s are more efficient in maintaining sea level MAP up to a higher altitude. I don’t know if it has a supercharger, multiple people in this thread mentioned it has a supercharger with boost up to 35 inHg MAP.

1 Like

I’d be interested in this as well!