Local Legend II: Fokker F.VII

Did you remove the chocks?

These are no mistakes. Default planes as well as these 15$ models don‘t aim towards people who are used to flying complex airplanes and tough addon prices. System/simulation wise they are low effort to maximize the clear profit, they simply look good to show off and advertise the sim. Those who want more need to pay more. It‘s a pity though that 15$ is basically not worth anything anymore and that these aircraft are a benchmark on which other developers measure their price tag.

I need to clarify what bothers me here.

I’m not expecting a “study level” aircraft on the cheap. I understand these are simplified models with limited feature sets.

What bugs me is, why they even have a fuel petcock, battery and engine master switch if it is completely unnecessary to turn them on to start up the aircraft?

If this is the level of acceptance we all need to have, then why are we here on this forum asking for a myriad of other issues to be addressed that someone, who felt differently, could just dismiss and say we just need to purchase an expensive commercial-grade simulator to have, say, the weather or flight dynamics or flight planning, Garmin GPS, etc. operating as it ought to in the most basic sense. “You paid $60 for a flight simulator, why do you expect it should have all of this?”

I really don’t understand why asking for implemented features to work is something that shouldn’t be a baseline expectation. If you don’t want to code for fuel, battery or master switch, don’t make them operable to the pilot. Plenty of the sim’s aircraft have inoperable switches, because the functionality hasn’t been coded.

If the idea here to make a pretty arcade aircraft for cheap, then why even have a startup procedure modeled at all?

6 Likes

Yes I did removed it and validated with external view.

And I forget mention it is on Xbox.

You NEED to use mixture and rpm even if the plane doesn’t have.

1 Like

Many strange decisions with the Fokker. Why model and animate stuff that has no function? Why model a cabin you cannot visit?

Seems to me that this project is more or less the result of using peoples spare time. A 3d Artist has a few hours of already paid capacity? Let him/her model and animate something in the cockpit. No matter if it’s ever used. That shallow facade of fake functionality collapses pretty quickly though.

3 Likes

Finally tried out the ‘modernised’ variant and I see this one has a full set of throttle, prop and mixture levers, guess they just used the same systems modelling for all three variants even if they are missing the various controls in the cockpit. The modernised cockpit is quite nice, has some basic navigation stuff and instead of just re-using the same rear panel with the engine controls like they did with the 1 engine variant there’s an overhead panel with the various engine doodads and even light switches.

Overall I think it’s an alright plane. Could be a lot better and I hope the weirdness with the mix/prop on the old variants can be fixed. Looks and sounds good and flies like a lumbering early 1920s airliner which I enjoy. Could’ve been better though. If I wasn’t such a fan of vintage aviation I’d probably be a lot more disappointed. I do wish the actual vintage variants got more attention though as those are the ones I want to fly. I really hope the bugs can be sorted out but I’m not really holding my breath.

2 Likes

Only thing I need or must do is a Refund of this aircraft.
Because it is not normal use control that is not in the cockpit to fly with it!!!

4 Likes

I want too BUT, sadly, we can’t have it

Sigh. Asobo/Microsoft sound like they want to do the right thing, but once again actions speak louder than words. Why partner with a scenery company for new aircraft? Why let it be released in this state? Why do they insist this is a sim and then release aircraft with no systems and fake buttons, knobs? Another hard pass for me. Even this is intended for more casual simmers, at least TRY and get the fundamentals correct. Then again, maybe I’m wrong, maybe Ctrl+E is used by 80% of users of MSFS.

4 Likes

In defense of Microsoft and Asobo I think they’ve found a great balance between releasing free content (World Updates with lots of scenery and airport improvements) and the ability for developers to make money with paid upgrades. It is a fine line. Those developers are vital for the ecosystem and they develop a lot of great content for the simulator. If MS/Asobo were to give everything away, they would ruin their market
 I think they’ve been quite generous already with a some free planes in the GOTY edition.

3 Likes

Honestly I haven’t flown a single one of those planes (ok I tested out the Hornet a few flights but it is since parked in the hanger), neither have I used / downloaded any of the new airports or scenery. I would have preferred them fixing bugs instead, there are still many flaws present in the sim which should have been fixed long time ago. But most of the GOTY stuff was done by 3rd party devs I believe so I guess they didn’t take resources away from squashing bugs

Agree that squashing bugs should be a top priority. Stability has not been great lately (lots of CTD’s - fortunately from the main menu and not during flight). I was replying to someone who was claiming that the local legends should be free though

1 Like

If it works like most stock planes, go to the main aircraft folder. Rename “runway.flt” to “runway.bak”, make a copy of “apron.flt” and rename the copy to “runway.flt”. You should now be able to start Cold and Dark from the runway.

1 Like

Wow, I had absolutely no idea you could do this. Thanks for letting me know! Just did a quick search and found runway.flt files in the Fokker’s folder so it should work

Fair enough, if they would be able to produce a payware plane which is worth its money and has at the very least the basic functionalities working and bug free, then certainly! I rather pay for a quality plane than getting a free plane which is medio core at best, for that reason I have started up the Asobo PC-6 once, immediately uninstalled it and bought the MilViz PC-6 instead.

1 Like

The annoying thing is you can’t uninstall core planes. I’d much prefer a dozen planes that work instead of having my hangar forcefully filled with buggy shallowness. The difference in quality between stock scenery and stock planes is really mind blowing.

3 Likes

Well I tried making a copy of apron.flt and renaming it to runway.flt and I thought it worked, started cold and dark but then everything just turned itself on like I’d pressed ctrl-e. Weird.
Anyway managed to get the 1m into the air and am now very slowly climbing up to 1,000 feet at a rate of about 150-200 fpm at around 60 knots. The original 1 engined plane couldn’t have been this underpowered right?

Max take-off weight, ISA conditions at sea level? Without performance data this is all speculative but all the performance requirements we have now were non-existent in that time obviously. Are there any speeds available from the manual? You can more or less figure out all the speeds if you know the minimum drag speed.

Well the figures in the manual seem to be for the modernised 3 engine variant with a full suite of throttle/prop/mixture controls as it’s telling me to set manifold pressure and rpm etc when there’s no prop levers in the 1m or vintage 3m (vintage 3m doesn’t even have mixture levers, nor is there even a manifold pressure gauge at least in the 1m!) although you can still adjust them with your assigned controls. The manual says 500fpm at 70kts which ain’t happening in the 1m I can tell you! I did start with live weather but quickly switched over to the clear skies preset and the airfield was only a few feet above sea level.