Local Legend II: Fokker F.VII

Both the DC-6 and Redwing’s excellent Super Constellation feature a somewhat rudimentary autopilot. For the latter its a wings leveler, vor track and pitch. That kinda thing is exactly what I would expect to see. If the implementation isn’t perfect, that’s fine. But the fact that there is no effort (similar to the auxiliary fuel tanks) to actually implement this piece of equipment irks me.

1 Like

I don’t get it, is it a fixed pitch prop? If so there would be no purpose for a MAP gauge unless the thing is super or turbocharged so that might make sense. The 1M has no mixture control but the 3M has?

I have no idea what’s going on with it to be honest. The 1m cockpit has a throttle and mixture lever, the 3m just has 3 throttle levers and nothing else, the modernised 3m has 3x3 levers, throttles, propeller or rpm, and mixture. On all variants regardless of physical instruments you can manipulate the mixture and rpm/prop using the commands you have bound. In-fact this can cause problems with the vintage models as if you start a second flight it seems to set the RPM controls to something weird and your engine will rev up to the stops regardless of throttle position when you start the engine and the plane will refuse to move, but when you move your controller prop axis it settles down and you can start to move. At least it’s happened to me and at least one other person in this thread.

Anyway I’ve made it to 3,000 feet! and doing 80 kts.

That was a wild ride!

I also discovered that the vintage 1m has navigation lights which you can turn on with the L key. I hear a switch being toggled in the cockpit when I do this but I can’t find it so either it’s missing or hidden away pretty well.

I’m also having a weird issue with trim. I have elevator trim bound to my hat switch on my stick and it works fine for everything apart from this bird (at least the 1m). I noticed when in external view with the HUD up that whilst I could trim the nose up with my hat switch, trimming down wasn’t doing anything. I had to go bind a keyboard key to actually trim my nose back down and get into level flight. Dunno if this is an issue with my hardware or with the product though. Kinda weird.

Edit: actually my stick trim is working fully again now. Odd, guess it was an issue on my end.

1 Like

this was the case in every flighsim sofar, you need to pay if you want it really good.

Uh huh. 10 characters.

1 Like

dont buy then , no one forces you.
and yes its pretty low quality…still cna be fun .

i have no doubt ctrl e is used en masse, i use it too when i dont have that much time.
absolutely nothing wrong with it.
but yes ofcourse the aircraft is really very basic, a bit of a shame, still can be fun.

I start out learning how to start aircraft using the checklist and/or documentation. But after a short while I get bored with clicking switches, and switch to CNTL-E to just get on with the flying.

Man how I wish that would work in real life. Sparing me all the ■■■■■■■■ with buckeling up, turning ignition and putting it in gear. I just want to drive. :wink:

There is always busywork involved in all things fun ahead of the part that you want to enjoy. It’s part of it.

1 Like

Microsobo finally provided official download links to the manuals here along with a manual for the Ju52 Local Legend Aircraft Manuals Available

2 Likes

This is not a triplane.

The DC-9 is not particularly closely associated with any single place and would therefore be a strange choice for the “local legends” series. At least say you want a De Havilland Comet or something like that so your irrelevant complaint makes a modicum of sense.

I want a de Havilland Comet! Actually I want two, the jetliner and the DH.88 racer.

5 Likes

I’d rather take the type of aircraft that the stardust aircraft was for a future local legend though

Guys, does your Single Engine also not burn any Fuel? A 400hp Engine should burn at least 150l/h or 40gals/h.
I just flew for 30 Minutes with 160l on board and burned 1% of it.
And my Numbers are from modern, EFI Outboard Engines. The Fokker has 1920s Efficiency, so I’d expect 200l/h or 50gal/h.

Empty it already flies like Garbage, Loaded to a Realistic Payload it will not take off from a realistic Grass Runway as would have been used back then.

The Fuel System on this IRL is already extremely simple. Somehow they felt they had to dumb it down even more to effectively a 1-Switch Toggle, so I can’t even switch between Fuel Tanks to maintain Level Flight.

This Level of simplification isn’t even acceptable in Freeware anymore.

2 Likes

So, no Fuel Burn, no Systems Depth at all.

And it doesn’t have Prop Wash over the Tail, which is how these realistically were controlled on the Ground.
Taxiing should be possible without Brakes, just by pulling and pushing on the Yoke and by using the Rudder.
Pulling should be a very effective Brake and help straightening Plane while rolling.
Pushing should make it very easy to roll, like releasing the brake by lifting the tail-skid, and the Prop blowing over the rudder should allow us to turn the plane on the Spot, no Brakes needed at all.

Right now it feels like a garbage Jet Plane, not like a classic Propliner.

2 Likes

How does the Tri-Motor Variant have Constant Speed Propellers in the 1920s when they only became practical and producable in the late 1930s?
And while the Single Engine feels unbelievably underpowered, the Tri-Motor feels more like a Mike Patey Creation.

How does the Tri-Motor Variant have Constant Speed Propellers in the 1920s when they only became practical and producable in the late 1930s?

Is this a “retrofit” version like the version of the Ju-52 updated with modern parts?

Nope, this is in the original 20s Model.

I tried to refund it and got immediately declined with a message that I had exceeded my permitted number of refunds in the last year. (It was 2 and they were in 2021 so it’s not using calendar years).

(post deleted by author)

18 Likes