LOD Distances

Does anyone keep a track of LOD distances via Dev Mode when testing the betas?

To me it looks like another Sim Update another reduction in distances and therefore graphical quality. But this is just my impression, I’m think I can see the edge of the trees closer with this beta than with SU13. And it goes without saying much closer than on release of the sim. This is with TLOD 250 btw.

So, just looking to see if anyone has any hard data to back up my impression.

I started MSFS on Xbox S - I was unhappy with the LOD distance so purchased a Xbox X as I was told it had better LOD distance. Since SU13 I’ve noticed my Xbox X seems to be what my Xbox S was.

3 Likes

LOD has never been worse than what it is right now!

And when I switch to the drone camera and move it towards the mountain, those parts that weren’t loaded will be loaded.

8 Likes

Agreed, it’s embarrassing

4 Likes

especially in Greenland, where the awfulness reaches its peak!
absolutely unbearable!
(LOD = 200)

1 Like

Are you comparing like for like screenshots? Northern latitudes (and Greenland in particular) have always had bad LOD; IIRC this is believed to be because the “distances” are wonky when the tiles have a relatively extreme aspect ratio.

1 Like

so this should be also true for iceland, but why not ?
LODs seems to be almost fine over there!

Maybe they improved the parts of Iceland you looked at in WU15, and not the parts of Greenland you looked at, or not to the same level of detail?

Anyway if you want to check what happened in Sim Update 13 vs Sim Update 14 Beta you have to compare the same areas in both versions, either both with, or both without WU15.

1 Like

because the earth is really flat.

:joy: sorry i couldn’t help it

3 Likes

You would have to come up with some standard measurement that anyone could perform, preferably with parties both in, and out of the Beta.

Ensure the same relevant settings are set, then capture images to compare terrain.

To make it easier you would specify a precise GPS coordinate, and heading, spawn the plane at that point using dev mode. Then use the drone camera to get to a particular altitude.

I think LOD looked great and performance was solid upon SU14 beta release. But the update regressed both LOD/texture quality and performance it seems.

1 Like

To me this sim ends up being in a worse state with every sim update as of late

8 Likes

Mah dude, things were looking and moving great with the initial SU14 beta release but with the latest two updates, things are not looking or moving so good.

a couple more sim updates and we’ll have the best scenery

17 Likes

Good grief, I hope this isn’t true.

Devs, you’ve been slowly chipping away at the LOD distance for a long time, pleeease don’t pull it back any more. It really damages the experience.

8 Likes

Don’t downgrade any LOD detail on pc, Asobo! We had this issue in SU5 and it looked terrible.

2 Likes

Old complaint, yet still it remains:

What’s the point of having a powerful computer if the aggressive LOD management means you can see where there is an obvious drop off in quality?

I’m a broken record on this, but we desperately need sliders that control the different visual aspects of scenery:

It will allow us each to set the quality of various aspects of the scenery settings according to individual preference. This will move us away from this everyone must be able to run the sim at ultra settings thinking, but where the sim is limited by aggressive LOD to compensate.

13 Likes

Looks to me like in the latest beta, LOD distances are yet again reduced. Probably why lots are seeing performance increases.

1 Like

If the LOD distances reduce any further our sim experience won’t be much better than this!

7 Likes

I really hope that’s not the case. It was already very bad.

1 Like