LOD Problems - Distances revisited

Very interesting find and :clap: :clap: :clap: for the huge effort and detailed notes!
Lots of votes, :crossed_fingers: the devs move this to the top of their list!

Edited to avoid confusion about linear vs square root (not linear) plotted trendlines

2 Likes

This does not make any sense.

200% = ±344

Please explain.

I plotted a linear trendline without square root being the factor.
By plotting the above, which I did out of curiosity, 100:100 (100 is 100%) and 200:141 (200 is 141%) and using a linear trendline you will find that 200% falls on ±344.

Edited to avoid confusion

100 = 100%
200 = 141%

Beyond my brain!

Call it rambling on :laughing:

I was just plotting a linear trendline based on the OP’s findings of 100 is 100% and 200 is actually 141%… a game setting of ±344 would be true 200% LOD if square root was not the factor.
100 = 100%
200 = 141%
344 = 200.04%
etc.
Again, if the trendline is linear… which it is not once square root is factored.

Edited to avoid confusion

Here are the OP findings:

In other words if this is true, you’ll get an effective 200% LOD in solving this:

i.e. LOD value setting = 400%

:+1: That square root being the key
As mentioned above, I was only plotting a linear trendline to see how offset it would be… but the square root is not a linear trendline.

Example of the trendline based on @CptLucky8 's findings (using square root)

Edited:
Included square root trendline to avoid further confusion

3 Likes

The LOD slider is related to the size of area rendered. Double the LOD is double the area. Thus double LOD is twice as much work for the game engine.

However since X times X is twice as much, X itself is only sqrt(2) times as much. Thus to double the draw distance you need to increase the area by 4, area size is what the LOD slider controls.

On the positive side, to half the workload, half the area rendered, only reduces draw distance to 71% of what you had before.

1 Like

HuH? . . . . . . . . …

. . . . . . . Huh? . . . .

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence? Yes

Its easy to get confused… much like how I did a linear trendline based on the numbers but did not factor square root which is what the OP’s findings are based around and therefore not a linear line.

Above is a new trendline (included in an edited post) based on the square roots (converted to percent) of settings 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500.

Again, I am doing this out of curiosity of the line it creates to visually determine what the actual percentages are of each LOD setting and the ones between because I find this whole thing very interesting.

1 Like

Don’t forget the latitude :rofl:

Draw distance is also impacted by latitude.

If draw distance is 100 at the equator, it’s only 34 at 70 degrees North or South.
(and 0 at the poles, however there is nothing from 85 degrees up, no terrain, no water, nothing)

This is LOD 10 at the equator (Pontianak, Indonesia)

And this is LOD 200 at Alert, Nunavut (82.5 degrees North)

So draw distance is sqrt(LOD) x cos(latitude) :joy:

4 Likes

thank you for this graph! that explains a lot!
So if we had to revert back to 200 ingame setting now we need to set the Terrain LOD in cfg to 4.0! Oh boy…

Is this how it’s going to be from now on?

Photogrammetry @ Terrain LoD 200

1 Like

Increasing that alone already has a big hit on performance as you are asking your CPU,RAM then your GPU to do twice as much work. Maybe one of the reasons it s like that as I am quite certain the majority running this sim their rigs are probably struggling with that setting.
As DX12 roles in we may possibly have a preset higher than Ultra Lets see what Asobo does.
Personally prefer to see further performance improvements before tackling the LOD setting.

1 Like

RTX 3090
i9 9900k 5.0ghz
32gb 3200mhz

Settings: ultra

For the experts what LOD is the Series X version on?

Lot of carefully chosen quick snippets in that trailer, looks beautiful though.

This might be risky, but I did a little comparison of screenshots from Aug/Sep last year. See what you think.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

I hope people are taking a wide selection of screenshots to compare with before SU5 arrives. I have a suspicion LOD and other graphical elements are about to change and it would be good to have proof either way.

3 Likes