LOD Problems - Distances revisited

1.14.6 and Norway Bergen to Sweden Gardermoen looks like this (LOD 200)

This is kind of the idea I was after with Cheat Engine and editing the game configs in realtime from memory. With SimConnect it would have beem possible to even create a simple program to adjust the LOD according to altitude and also weather (visibility).

Personally I’d like to see something much closer to LOD1000% when flying airliners at FL200+.

Currently it seems though that a lot of these kinds of ideas are no longer possible to achieve since the updates have changed the way stuff works.

1 Like

Of course true graphics quality and videogames-are-an-art connaisseurs enjoy the best, uncompromized “un-FPS-optimized” visual quality and best eye-candy possible.

But imagine what would happen if graphics quality would enhance over time with patches:

The rest of the 50% of playkiddies are so much louder than the rest and fully connected everywhere and have 500 friiieeennndddzz to influence, and they start to scream and yell around everywhere (forums, YouTube, everywhere on social media) “after the last patch I have only absolute UNPLAYABLE slow and stuttering 999FPS on ultralow with my GeForce 910 but 8 gigs of single-channel RAM should be enough in 2021 told me my OEM PC vendor, LULZ ROFL the flight simulator is the biggest sh!!!t ever made nothing else ever is worser and this bad game is so uuuunoptimized, by the way when will the flight sim be released as smartphone game I want to play it mobile!” - and the programmers and developers must follow the orders of the stupid sheeple who are in control.
The developers are literally forced to magically bring even more and more frames to the table even for the most slow computers.

That`s why you will notice graphics downgrades and even more annoying and intrusive and immersion-breaking LOD pop-ins everywhere literally “popping out” of nowhere over time with every new patch that get´s introduced.

But that is not the root of the problem - the true problem ist, that the maxed out and ultra settings are significantly downgraded too for no reason!
I personally have no problem of downgrading the graphics for the potato PC masses, but for god´s sake keep the ultra settings on ULTRA and don´t downgrade the ultra and max settings too :wink:
These are called “ultra” and “max” settings for a reason, Flight Simulators should be the pinnacle of technology like it was for decades - and not being optimized and downgraded long enough until ultra and maxed out settings run rather flawless in non-city-areas on some Radeon 460 4GB and Ryzen 3 1200.
New graphics card and CPU generations don´t get engineered and released almost every year for no reason.

That`s why it annoys me when the ultra and highest settings, which should be future-proof settings especially reserved for powerful machines (and I am sure many fellow old-school pilots have build a new computer especially for the new FS2020) and for new hardware generations are significantly downgraded more and more over time.
Instead of keeping ultra untouched and ultra to the max.

In the meantime, please enjoy this updated version which eases the LOD problem for true graphics connaisseurs a little bit:

Fasten your seat belts and enjoy the new enhanced greenery.

2 Likes

Perhaps LOD related, but I noticed something yesterday that I don’t think I’ve ever seen before.

I was flying around the LOWI area, following the valley, and landing at strips as I went.

When on one grass strip, covered in snow, I noticed that ahead of me was a stretch of grass with no snow at all. As I taxied forwards, snow started to appear on those parts, as if the snow was only being drawn in my vicinity. After takeoff, I looked back, and the entire stretch of grass had no snow at all.

I’m sure it hasn’t always been like that.

I’ve noticed the same thing yesterday, but it was in VR (therefore with a lot of “medium” graphic settings) and as I only started VR last week, I can’t tell if it is a new issue or not. But yeah, snow on the roads/runways appeared only when very close to me.

I think it’s a sphere, as elevation shows the same effect.

Need help!
Where ever I try to change terrain LOD in usercfg , it resets back to default settings without me changing? where as I edited and changed, saved
Any help

After you save the usercfg you need to right click the file go to properties and set it to Read Only. This should prevent the sim from overwriting the saved file when you launch the sim.

1 Like

Yep, I am absolutely furious with the graphical downgrades. I saved up for a long time so I could build a top of the range PC for this sim. When I first got the sim I was blown away every flight, just stunning. I don’t get that any more, it is just not as good as it used to be, extremely disappointing to say the least.

4 Likes

I actually think these changes are potentially being made intentionally to support the new XBOX coming out.

I agree though, some LODs are terribly close. I run at 1080p and still get issues, can’t imagine playing in 2k or 4k on a big screen, let alone VR.

An example is flying past cliffs in central France, or near the unmodelled areas of the Dover cliffs in England. When you are only a hundred (or less) metres away they will morph and change in front of your eyes, completely ruining any immersion you may have gained. The same happens at further distances of 500m or so. Terrain settings all on maximum.

The trees and building draw distances have always been an issue since release, and steadily seems to get worse - the draw distance was much better early alpha I have to say. Mods that increased the tree draw distance have shown that having the ability to set it higher didn’t affect performance as much as you’d expect. The option at least should be there…

1 Like

While it could be significantly related to the LOD distances, there is another thread that goes into more detail about this morphing issue. It could use some support!

Very interesting find and :clap: :clap: :clap: for the huge effort and detailed notes!
Lots of votes, :crossed_fingers: the devs move this to the top of their list!

Edited to avoid confusion about linear vs square root (not linear) plotted trendlines

2 Likes

This does not make any sense.

200% = ±344

Please explain.

I plotted a linear trendline without square root being the factor.
By plotting the above, which I did out of curiosity, 100:100 (100 is 100%) and 200:141 (200 is 141%) and using a linear trendline you will find that 200% falls on ±344.

Edited to avoid confusion

100 = 100%
200 = 141%

Beyond my brain!

Call it rambling on :laughing:

I was just plotting a linear trendline based on the OP’s findings of 100 is 100% and 200 is actually 141%… a game setting of ±344 would be true 200% LOD if square root was not the factor.
100 = 100%
200 = 141%
344 = 200.04%
etc.
Again, if the trendline is linear… which it is not once square root is factored.

Edited to avoid confusion

Here are the OP findings:

In other words if this is true, you’ll get an effective 200% LOD in solving this:

i.e. LOD value setting = 400%

:+1: That square root being the key
As mentioned above, I was only plotting a linear trendline to see how offset it would be… but the square root is not a linear trendline.

Example of the trendline based on @CptLucky8 's findings (using square root)

Edited:
Included square root trendline to avoid further confusion

3 Likes

The LOD slider is related to the size of area rendered. Double the LOD is double the area. Thus double LOD is twice as much work for the game engine.

However since X times X is twice as much, X itself is only sqrt(2) times as much. Thus to double the draw distance you need to increase the area by 4, area size is what the LOD slider controls.

On the positive side, to half the workload, half the area rendered, only reduces draw distance to 71% of what you had before.

1 Like

HuH? . . . . . . . . …

. . . . . . . Huh? . . . .

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence? Yes