LOD Problems - Distances revisited

Its easy to get confused… much like how I did a linear trendline based on the numbers but did not factor square root which is what the OP’s findings are based around and therefore not a linear line.

Above is a new trendline (included in an edited post) based on the square roots (converted to percent) of settings 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500.

Again, I am doing this out of curiosity of the line it creates to visually determine what the actual percentages are of each LOD setting and the ones between because I find this whole thing very interesting.

1 Like

Don’t forget the latitude :rofl:

Draw distance is also impacted by latitude.

If draw distance is 100 at the equator, it’s only 34 at 70 degrees North or South.
(and 0 at the poles, however there is nothing from 85 degrees up, no terrain, no water, nothing)

This is LOD 10 at the equator (Pontianak, Indonesia)

And this is LOD 200 at Alert, Nunavut (82.5 degrees North)

So draw distance is sqrt(LOD) x cos(latitude) :joy:

4 Likes

thank you for this graph! that explains a lot!
So if we had to revert back to 200 ingame setting now we need to set the Terrain LOD in cfg to 4.0! Oh boy…

Is this how it’s going to be from now on?

Photogrammetry @ Terrain LoD 200

1 Like

Increasing that alone already has a big hit on performance as you are asking your CPU,RAM then your GPU to do twice as much work. Maybe one of the reasons it s like that as I am quite certain the majority running this sim their rigs are probably struggling with that setting.
As DX12 roles in we may possibly have a preset higher than Ultra Lets see what Asobo does.
Personally prefer to see further performance improvements before tackling the LOD setting.

1 Like

RTX 3090
i9 9900k 5.0ghz
32gb 3200mhz

Settings: ultra

For the experts what LOD is the Series X version on?

Lot of carefully chosen quick snippets in that trailer, looks beautiful though.

This might be risky, but I did a little comparison of screenshots from Aug/Sep last year. See what you think.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

I hope people are taking a wide selection of screenshots to compare with before SU5 arrives. I have a suspicion LOD and other graphical elements are about to change and it would be good to have proof either way.

3 Likes

Yep they are sure to be downgraded again, I really hope I am wrong. But I am fed up of the constant downgrades to increase performance, when there is nothing wrong with the performance if you have the appropriate PC running at the appropriate settings.

3 Likes

I’m going to assume that was an NDA breaching video which has since been pulled.

Well fortunately this is not behind an NDA, I hope PC doesn’t suffer the same issue:

Another one:

so the release notes don’t mention any change to LOD and tree draw distance…

Trees are fixed. The LOD is another story.

LOD? Oh no, please don’t say it’s got worse again…

3 Likes

Here’s a comparison of the PG draw distance boundary between an earlier build and SU5 on Ultra at New York:

2 Likes

Do we have to spot the 7 differences? I don’t get why you posted twice the same screenshot and why they’re not from the same place.
What are we supposed to see here?

1 Like

It compares the cut-off point where photogrammetry stops being drawn. Both sets are in New York, facing Manhattan.