LOD problems - Trees Fix Revisited

The Tree - fix is old by now and it is possible it is not working as intended with the latest FS2020 releases. However it is not affecting the official files because it is a community mod. The issue you’re having must be due to something else unfortunately.

I’m using the TreeFix with the current version, seem to work just fine? (LOD to 2.5 via config)

Regarding the “tree issue”. That is , the dense, large trees which overlap many secondary roads. I want to explore my neighborhood and nearby subdivisions and shopping centers, etc. (15 miles NW of Atlanta). The trees are so dense that they are “grown” over the 2 lane streets. I have tried adjusting the trees and grass/bush settings, and tried the 3rd party tree apps (tree editor) with no real luck. I also posed it as a question on the MS/ASOBO video conference from 13 days ago, and it was answered at 53:30, but the answer was somewhat unclear to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this … ? Thanks, :grin:

Have you tried this mod i made ? Shorter trees and seem to have good coverage

Thanks, will try … :grin:

hey SlidHydra could you set the draw distance a bit further with that tree height mod

I dont know how to do it! Im an amateur developer, got this far by sheer luck. Not sure which values to tweak in the file to figure out draw distance.

but frankly, if you havent tried the latest version , try it. My tree draw distance is quite good actually. You may have to play around the the ‘object level of detail’ slider though, to see what your sweet spot it

lovely to see that ASOBO / Microsoft are in for the “one step forward, two steps backwards” policy.
Since tree drawdistance had a almost immeasurable hit on performance and fps why would they cripple it as much with 1.14.5.0. Even the “fix” doesn’t help anymore, at least not as much.

5 Likes

PUSH to rise this topic again, as the distance degraded even further with SU3. What a shame. Even the Tree distance fix is not helping anymore… giving tree popping and squary treechunks everywhere. New values made by the author are a fix to the popping, but the distance trees are drawn are way to small now, it feels so wrong, as we have like a hard border now, where trees end and ground textures are blurry as hell…

8 Likes

We have to insist protesting here ! Why did they kill the fix ?
At least let us choose what we want as far as it is a mod.

4 Likes

There is no visual difference between 100 or 200, not in performance either, Asobo seems to have implemented a hard limit on how far the trees are being rendered, the game looks awful right now.

5 Likes

Because they need to make this work on Xbox? It feels like rendering quality is slowly taking a hit as we approach Xbox release. I hope it returns with DX12. I don’t know what to expect anymore.

Blatant flaws remain (key mappings incorrect, CTD on fundamental functionality etc.) while they add contrails.

i feel with you!

1 Like

You can add my vote here. This trend of casually downgrading graphics rendering distances/textures quality/trees and all whilst of course never mentioning anything in the patch notes feels like stabs in the back more than anything else, especially since they’re hard coded more often than not and thus cannot be countered manually.

At least if it was to try and raise performances artificially, but no… performances still manages to degrade for a lot of, if not all people. LET US CHOOSE TO RUN WITHLOWER FPS if we’re willing to sacrifice this for the sake of visuals!

6 Likes

That might be okay if you were to sign an Asobo waiver that you will never complain of low frame rates. :wink:

3 Likes

I ran at 60fps everything on ultra and photogrammetry for the first month with beautiful graphics, trees and buildings to the horizon and then after like the 3rd update no trees and blurry landscape starting a mile or two out and melted buildings everywhere with 30 fps. It’s not my system but something the developers did. The fact that you have hundreds of people voting this issue up extrapolates to most people have the issue. Yet again it is not addressed or even included in the Q&A topics.

2 Likes

I can’t believe in my eyes if this is meant seriously. Vegetation Draw Distance fix used to be the only way to enjoy distant scenery at least a little bit. Now we can look at 1 mile around the plane.

Please, all VOTE to this topic and to new one: Trees LOD after Sim Update 3, no fun anymore!

Also submit a bug report to Zendesk: Submit a request – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support so this issue not to be ignored (as LOD issues).

Screenshot was taken this morning on ultra details, the very next hill is about 1.5 mile from plane. The top of the mountain is completely bare, there are also half loaded ghost trees in the middle of hill.
I don’t think that’s okay like that:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the latest update has made the Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(50-75)
and Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)
almost unusable.
Vegetation Draw Distance Fix • Microsoft Flight Simulator”.

However, there is a way to increase the visibility of trees and buildings a bit more.
Of course, depending on how high the value is, this will affect your performance.

Just go to AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8we…\LocalCache
in the UserCfg.opt and change the line
"Terrain LoDFactor 1.000000" to the desired visibility.

I have the value set to 4.000000 and get the following result:

Terrain LoDFactor is just big framerate eater… (which Trees distance fix was not at all) - That value mainly increases LoD of already loaded objects and changes draw distance only scantly.

2 Likes

Do not misunderstand the post. I am aware of that. But currently seemingly the only way to increase visibility.

I wish the Trees distance fix also back!

I hope that someone in the community can solve this problem soon.

1 Like