LOD problems - Trees Fix Revisited

:rage:

cā€™mon asobo, this is bs

2 Likes

Wow, until I read your post complaining about stuff, I thought that was an actual real world photo. Somehow I fail to understand why a sim would need to do better than that. Is your primary purpose flying or sightseeing?

1 Like

For the most part my trees look good except I found a real exception to that. Phoenix, which is wonderfully rendered in MSFS, is great except for one type of tree. Apparently FS is unaware that we have tons of tall palm trees in various spots in the Phoenix valley. When you go over one of those areas they end up looking like sharp pointy mounds of earth. Fly over Litchfield Park for a great laugh.

For the most part my trees look good alsoā€¦

Well, I am very surprised I have to explain whatā€™s wrong with screenshot, but okayā€¦ Look at the top of mountain, do you see any tree? Nope. Look at the right side of the photo - half loaded semitransparent ghost trees. Can you see problem now?

You were asking why a sim would need to do better than that - answer is simple, because it can and it was, with zero impact on performance. It can do better just with edits of draw distance value. Primary focus on flying does not give any excuse for insufficient graphics settings. :wink:

3 Likes

But we agree!

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting how different people have completely different standards.
I have trees drawn not much further than this (achieved by the tree draw distance fix mod) but in comparison to you I would call that draw distance in your screenshot -completely unacceptable-.
I guess itā€™s based on our difference in standard or preference, but having trees not get drawn beyond a 5-10 mile diameter relative your position is in my world really bad.

3 Likes

It depends on the place. When the ground is flat with normally a lot of trees.itā€™s like an elephant in a hallway ā€¦ we only see that!

Is this acceptable?

The game was down to 2 to 5 fps as well at the time. Pause and wait 30 seconds for the trees to show up. Fly a couple minutes again and the itā€™s back to that. It has never been like that before.

Why did it get so much worse after the update.

2 Likes

Is there a more recent thread about the tree LOD issue? Iā€™m a little frustrated that Asobo says they read the forums but then fail to see all the posts about how longitude effects tree draw distance with clear examples of it. Sometimes I feel like theyā€™re so out of touch with what people are experiencing.

This is a bug that needs attention right now before World Update 5 comes out. Asobo is soon finishing optimizations to make the trees draw further, BUT Iā€™m pretty sure this is a different BUG that will remain after Asoboā€™s optimizations.

Image 1 above shows how awful the World Update 5 will look in the Nordics (ICAO: EFOP) at 3000 feet if the Update still doesnā€™t include any change on treesā€™ draw distance. The trees draw distance in the Nordics by default is less than 4 nautical miles nor 10 nautical miles like Asobo stated on the latest Dev Q&A. The Equator in Colombia gave me a draw distance of 8 nautical miles with TLOD 125. Meanwhile, in Finland, less than 4 nautical miles only.

Image 2 below is the same location (ICAO: EFOP) with the FSBlogā€™s tree mod before Sim Update 3 broke it. The draw distance was 8 nautical miles with TLOD 125 and 10 nautical miles with TLOD 200. This is what the community wants EVERYWHERE on the Planet, but is now impossible due to Sim Update 3 broke all the tree mods nor Asobo seems to realize this as a bug.

The BUG is: The trees draw distance decreases on the way from the Equator (10 nautical miles) towards the North/South Poles (less than 4 nautical miles), meaning the trees draw distance bug is somehow related to latitude. This bug needs more attention and a patch before World Update 5 is released.

7 Likes

Do you see much of an impact frame rate wise in you second example?

Zero impact with i7-9750, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM.

So this might not suggest a performance related change. There is a lot of talk of deliberate sabotaging of visuals with trying to get it to work on the X-Box at an acceptable level of performance cited as a reason. If you lost 10fps that might have some mileage, but that doesnā€™t seem to be the case.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Its just a guess on my part but I think this is caused by the Bing maps Mercator projection. (maybe)

1 Like

Well, to be honest, I do not really care that much if Asobo fixes this, but why the heck did they adjust it in a way that the wonderful community mod is no longer working? I mean, if you f* things up, fair enough, but then please, please do not intentionally destroy what the community achievedā€¦

Oh, it was not intentional? Well, then explain me how the devs of the sim do not know what tree draw distance affects and why the mod no longer works. If this should be true, then help us god, if not even the devs understand their very own engine enough to solve this issueā€¦

Has none of you guys watched the Developer Q&A from Wednesday (Twitch and YouTube)?
In that one Seb demonstrated, convincingly IMHO, that trees are drawn to much the same distance as the in the pre-release trailers. I have always believed so, but now Iā€™m 99.9% convinced.

Let the flak to begin. :sunglasses:

Do you mind looking at these screenshot + explanation, and repo on your system?

Tree LOD is now related to Latitude? - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

2 Likes

Oh, have read it all and fully understand the claims, but itā€™s not important enough for me to spend time testing and documenting myself. Many have done so in all sorts of ways.

Anyway, itā€™s Seb you have to convince, not me.