LOD problems - Trees & Water

You’re not wrong, tree’s are missing everywhere. Some of my favorite grass strips are missing most, if not all the tree’s. Ultra Graphics.

10 Likes

That, good sir, I doubt they will. This was horrible even before the patch, reported to zendesk.
And reply was

Why dont you try higher setting, 550 works good for me and it still performs OK. except dense photogrammetry areas. at 900 - 1000 I hit VRAM limit very easily and it starts to stutter :frowning:

Sometimes the games runs better after restarting and deleting the rolling cache. There’s something not quite working with the cache management. The longer it runs the worse performance gets.

Today it got really bad, second long stutters, frame rate down to a third of what I normally get. Deleting the cache and restarting the game cleared it all up. Continuing from the airport I landed at, the scenery looked great again (freshly grabbed from Azure I guess)

I also suspect keeping the rolling cache smaller rather than larger will help performance. Les data to manage and if you have a good connection, why keep all that in the cache. I have mine set to 16 GB, maybe smaller is still better. I think the game started with 8 GB for the cache?

Yeah, i am the lucky one today

It seems that "we are not alone " :alien:

3 Likes

The question is: how do the trees compare to an actual aerial photo of the same airport?

Initially the complaint was “there are too many trees”, and “the trees are too tall”

Now it’s “there aren’t enough trees”, and “the trees are too short”.

You can’t win…

I tend to be in the “too many/too dense” camp. On initial release, like everyone, I flew over my own neighborhood. All the trees were there, and then some. The AI was even turning what are actually large bushes into trees, and almost all were too tall.

Post patch 2, the same area looks far more realistic. I can compare what I see in the sim with an aerial photo, and with what I see with my own two eyes looking out my upstairs window as I write this, and the post-patch trees are much closer to reality.

2 Likes

The trees are real. You just cant see them :smiley:

Those are special trees, so called pop-in trees

1 Like

I found out that in some situations the user.cfg write wrong data.

Check the user.cfg if the settings match the UI settings after exit.

In my case i had several times changes that affect lower quality at next start.

I had no HDR enabled in WIN10 and the UI and in the user.cfg HDR10 was enabled set to 1.

Windowed mode was set on 1 not 0 and monitor 0.

Several quality entries about AA was not at max.

Tipp:

Terrain and Objects LOD I would let at 2.0 for both.
Wit terrain LOD 2.3-.2.5 it’s at high FL and none dense areas possible.

For VFR low altitude and heavy photogrammetry more as 2.0 terrain/objects LOD could become unplayable.

Post processing is a a user choice,
I set all to 0 exclude color grading and eye adaption.
And post processing enabled 1.
Get best results for me.

How the user.cfg works:

0 is OFF and 1 is on.
1 is lowest quality and 3 mostly max.

After changes save the file. Any changes in the UI after start could set the user.cfg to unexpected different settings.

So after editing the user.cfg it’s mandatory to not change in game graphic settings in the UI.

After all a texture super sampling setting in the graphic UI of 8x8 is helpful for good quality. 6x6 is one part of a good 30FPS ultra setting at 4K with 2060/2070/2080 Gen.

The master user user.cfg is in all drive installation variants on the main drive WIN10.

None steam:
Users\yourname\AppData\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Related topics:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cloud-pixels-shimmering-film-grain/210436/7

1 Like

Fairways Real life Real photo for reference.

2 Likes

Fairways Real life 2

1 Like

The complaint was that there were trees where they were not supposed to be. It was not unusual to see them on concrete docksides where they had no business being. So yes, there were too many trees in that some were inappropriately placed, were too tall or were too big. But that does not mean we expected trees that should be in place to disappear.

What people want is not difficulty to comprehend despite the “they cannot win” type comments that some cannot resist posting. They want them to stop putting trees where they should not be, stop removing them were they should and listen to complaints when people say they are too big and engulf entire roads or are so tall that they look out of place.

4 Likes

besides having less trees, the trees look lmuch less detailed also… Look at the details of the grass also, much more detail pre-patch.

1 Like

That’s because they improved performance.

Performance improvements = graphical ugliness
Graphical beauty = performance reduction

Unfortunately, the developer opted to not use existing technologies to the maximum extent possible to achieve performance optimization (DX12) because it was easier and cheaper to use DX11. They can optimize to the max and squeeze every inch out of DX11, but there will have to be trade offs until they take it to the next level (if ever).

Or, we can all just wait until hardware improves to the point that this game is easy to run, and the developer gets off the hook, and takes our money with them.

1 Like

Let’s hope they find some space to optimize with no graphical compromise. Not an easy task, I’m sure. However, they should let each individual choose the compromise and not doing it for us (the update on the aircraft screen refresh rate is a good example). Let us choose what we want to dumb down. Another thing I noticed is that the trees in the distance look like sticks before they become “bushy”. It`s terrible! They can’t take away the beautiful graphics we had before and which was marketed and sold to us initially… Work on the code optimization, give us the sliders and let us choose!

1 Like

Here is a top-down photo that looks like it was taken at the same time of year as the sim version.

The trees along the left side are definitely missing post-patch. The trees on the right are clustered too densely in both versions - but the pre-patch version is worse in that regard.

1 Like

I just flew into TIST (St Thomas in the Caribbean). The water looks terrible. It was completely textureless and colorless.

2 Likes

our effort is in vein if mods wont move this thread to bugs and issues as it cant be upvoted?

2 Likes

How did you get livery for 787 mate?

yeah and if you notice there is some sort of tinted area around the place as you fly. Different shade as water

From my perspective, it is no worse after the patch. But for me, the graphics quality and specifically LOD has been way below expectations in photogrammetry areas. My home is in metro NY, so that is where I fly most. NYC and the surrounding area has never looked right.

There is a very small “bubble”, typical of any 3d game or sim., where the detail is high and it looks quite good. But that bubble is extremely small. As many have posted in pics, it is about 10% of the overall viewing area. Beyond that, the LOD is very thin and everything looks like minecraft.

That happens for about the next 50% of the viewing area, and after that it turns to just blurred mess.

BTW – when I say “viewing area” I mean from the aircraft view to the horizon. So not including the sky and clouds.

When I fly in Europe, things are not quite as bad. Looks quite good actually. But flying in the US, most metro areas look like trash.

1 Like

Please vote, guys

2 Likes