LOD problems - Trees & Water

what do you mean sir. I provided objective screenshots. This is how everyones sim is looking with ultra settings. nothing more, nothing less.

Did you even read his post?

he start with: ā€œAnyone else feel like the simulator looks terrible now after the update?ā€

The guy is saying it look worst then before, itā€™s the same as before, there was tons of post and you posted 5 day ago!

1 Like

Can you share it again with the location and time?

Dude calm down. Itā€™s a manner of speaking.

The simulator looks terrible, STILL, w/ the LOD problem.

There, are you satisfied?

I agree, mines was bloody brilliant up untill the patch. No issues before

1 Like

its just outside of KLAX, 16.07 local time, clear skies

but for gods sake. just sit in any plane above any city with 3D buildings and zoom out of window. whats there more to discuss : )

2 Likes

Maybe you fly over autogen and not photogrammetry, because you did not saw difference on autogen and photogrammetry, you said: ā€œLooks good mate. Definitely doesnā€™t look that good for me. Iā€™ll try the switching server trick see if that does the trickā€

He was flying over autogen, not photogrammetry, that is the difference on his screenshots.

2 Likes

ā€¦same here. Looks like fsx,even on ultra settings. Had no issues before the patch. Tried to reset settings, go up to 4k res, back to 1080p,nothing helps. Could be that some of us not getting the online data from the servers ??

1 Like

For me the patch looks good still apart from some strange reflection issues which appear worst when flying over water.

Iā€™m not a fan of the glass screen refresh fix which has created a juddery display when MS pride itself on smooth analog dials the digital ones now are anything but. Putting the refresh back to High just kills performance again and somehow itā€™s still not as good visually as it was before.

1 Like

Yes, it has to do with something on Asoboā€™s end or the streaming of the map data or somethingā€¦

Iā€™ve noticed the issue BEFORE the patch, but it has gotten worse in that it seems more consistently bad (if that even makes sense) than previous weeks.

I, too, am on ultra settings and have tried everything dialed up to 200ā€¦ as well as disabling photogrammetry, re-enabling, etc. to not avail.

1 Like

I understand what your saying about the differences. But if Iā€™m putting everything up to max, texture detail up to max etc and itā€™s still looking alot worse than before the patch, defo something wrong somewhere. Iā€™ll try get some screen shots later when I have had some sleep. Writing this with one eye open as Iā€™m pretty tired, good night guys :+1:

3 Likes

Screenshots will help for sure to understand more.

2 Likes

Trees were too many and too high. And that was intentional, to cover up the tree glitches of photogrammetry.

Now that they reduced the size and number, those glitches are once again visible. I guess they should have fix those scenery glitches before scaling down the size to normal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean he is right in that instance though. You are naming and shaming :wink:

Why dont you simply add him to your ignore list. What is out of sight is also out of mind

Stop bashing the sim!
Budgets are utilized. Bonuses are earned.
Just donā€™t interfere.
Whoā€™s to say? Perhaps we witnessed the birth of a new glorious projectā€¦
Like Microsoft Edgeā€¦
or Windows Phoneā€¦
or Windows 8ā€¦
or Windows RTā€¦
or Microsoft Zuneā€¦
or Microsoft Lumiaā€¦
or Groove Musicā€¦
or even Skype?!!!

/s

3 Likes

When things like ā€œPerformance improvementsā€ show up in release notes, you should be suspicious about what was actually done. That can easily mean that they made something beautiful a bit less beautiful (which generally improves performance). Multiplayer server improvements can translate into reduced bandwidth for streaming stuff in order to make sure there is enough to go around. Of course, none of us have any idea since the notes arenā€™t specific enough for us to.

9 Likes

Yep, trueā€¦ I believe thatā€™s probably what happened. Itā€™s a shame that people with higher end rigs canā€™t take advantage of that without it hurting lower end rigs and vice versa.

Well, in this case, because the game is so cloud-centric, the beefy vs lightweight computer argument is only part of the equation. That we know of, cloud takes cares of terrain textures and weather. There are multiple threads on the forum talking about pre-release differences. Iā€™m specifically thinking of the night-lighting thread talking about how all of the individual light sources on the ground have been nerfed and sepia mask added. Back to the point, now released worldwide, I imagine that server load went up exponentially. Things like streaming terrain working and then not working, weather working and then not working, can be explained by server-side issues just as easily as client-side.

From a company standpoint, it is way easier (and cheaper) to dial back the fancy features, than it is to add servers, bandwidth, etc. But as you mentioned with the beefy computer, it is also easier to cater to the lowest common denominator in terms of system requirements.

EDIT: Maybe the entire game should be in the cloud. Would fix the huge downloads? :smiley: You can just login to your purchased virtual game instance and stream down high quality video with all the rendering being done server side.

1 Like

I dont experience worse photogram LOD after the patch. It looks as ā€badā€ as before the patch (bad when zooming, when not zooming I can ignore it). I agree it needs to be generally fixed. Algorithm should try to keep buildings sqare at a distance instrad of ā€spikeā€.

4 Likes

I believe thats the future