London is jaw dropping

Being a Londoner and I know this place like the back of my hand… I have to say this is the very best I have ever seen it.

I have seen a lot of negative posts here so far, but I think most are being unfair and ultra critical. This is not a driving sim, but a flight sim and is best appreciated at least 500ft.

Asobo and team, I have to congratulate you all on this marvelous update… but I do have one complaint… I am now late going to bed as I cant put this sim down!

76 Likes

stunning thanks for posting

I have to agree!

It does still need Orbx’s touch to a few of the buildings, 20 Fenchurch Street (Walkie Talkie) building where I work in non-lockdown days (seems a long time ago now) looks nice but it’s not quite the right shape, this one needs to go on a diet…

The feel of London is there more than ever and it’s the same for Bristol - these UK cities pack a density and detail simply not seen in any of the other photogrammetry cities I’ve seen in MSFS - not sure if that’s the makeup of a UK city or the different photogrammetry supplier or just me :slight_smile:

Textures and elevation look amazing in most places I’ve been to as well.

However, it’s not all roses.

1. Rivers are not aligned to elevation and can cause deep troughs in the scenery.
  2. Satelite imagery although is better seems to suffer from light and dark patches.
  3. Photogrammetry needs little clean up, lots of half rendered cranes and spires etc.
  4. There are lots of other anomilees as well with strange reflective patches on the ground and missaligned terrain.
  5. Flying around rural areas I had some weird stutters even though overall frames were good - strangely when I flew towards Heathrow and London of all places these stutters dissapared.

Amazing overall though and I’m sure the little glitches will be eradicated over time.

They have taken HMS Belfast away and put 2 pleasure cruisers in it’s place !!! & still a few sunken bridges.

1 Like

I have just had a really good look. I too have lived there for years (Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead) and know it very well, having also worked in London Wall for a while too.

Anyway, the photogrammetry is a mess for quite a lot of it. Melted buildings, wrong shapes, bridges, boats etc all wrong. Horrible. I turned off the photogrammetry and put ORBX landmarks back and it’s much better and way more accurate.

In my opinion.

4 Likes

Agreed. Photogrammetry in London currently unusable for me due to FPS hit.

great shots! bravo

after refusing to load msfs for a good few weeks until uk update…it took hours to d/l and i loaded sim and went straight into VR and flew from london city to heathrow…o2 looked good aswell as the shard…but as i approached westminster was horrified at seeing westminster bridge sunken…im sure this must have been spotted by asobo when doing the so called polishing to the update

1 Like

Stunning views

They did not polish it everywhere!

I can’t believe they animated the London eye.

4 Likes

yea i agree they cant polish everywhere…but westminster bridge and i was only a few mins into first flight…u may forgive a bridge in countryside somewhere, but not such a significant bridge

Just did some drone-mode flying in and around London PG area. As long as it’s viewed from a realistic, reasonable distance, it looks incredibly realistic and well-done. In reality if you show even a slight intention to get so close to buildings and stuff in areas like this, you will probably get shot down by a Typhoon (not the MSFS marketplace typhoon ). Yeah some buildings might look melted when viewed upclose but you are not supposed to be there in the first place. As soon as ORBX landmark addon gets fixed and receives compatibility update, it will look even better

4 Likes

It looks like Godzilla took over the city and everyone evacuated.Otherwise its not bad

3 Likes

Lots of it looks ok at but no Thames Barrier??? Bye bye London!!!

Yeah looks great… :neutral_face: :unamused: :laughing:

Think I’ll be reverting to the community photogrammetry addon for London central and EGLL approach which looks 100x better. Shame. The rest of the of update is great but the photogrammetry is really bad compared to other cities (Berlin, San Fran etc). Hoping its a server load issue.

2 Likes

Before downloading the additional UK package, the level of the Thames river looked pretty high, several structures under water…but overall a very good update to the Scenery portion of MSFS, now what about the planes…

Today was a world update, focusing on… the world :slight_smile:
Next patch will be a Sim update, focusing on the airplanes/mechanics etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that straight away, looked weird. Managed to fly the C172 through tower bridge though. :grin:

1 Like

Oh, one thing I did notice flying over London, is that I got a download warning pop up, saying my internet bandwidth was insufficient for photogrammetry. This happened when I was flying quite low in the C172. I checked Task Manager and I was hitting about 48Mbs, which is about as fast as my 50Mbs plan gets on fibre to the premises here in Oz, nobody else was streaming content at the time.

I’ve been meaning to upgrade to 100Mbs unlimited from my ISP, so bit the bullet and did so just now. Luckily I got a discount, so it only cost $10 a month more.

1 Like