Long-EZ released by Indiafoxtecho

Finally something interesting!

6 Likes

Has no AP if thats essential to some, aside from that looks really interesting!

Interested to see a few reviews on this.

Purchase link: simMarket: LONG EZ MSFS

Other distributors to “follow soon”, still working with MS/Asobo to get it in the marketplace

1 Like

It’s weird seeing the same post in two different forums within a minute! :smiley:

1 Like

I have been waiting for this since it was announced, and have nothing but great things to say about Dino’s work, so to say that I’m a bit excited would be an understatement!

Away from my main PC for a bit but defo getting this, big fan of Dinos work.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been waiting for this! Thanks for the update. My dad built one of the first EZs in the Chicago area back in the early '80s.

Great to see they put some paint on the model too, as I remember the dev was thinking about keeping it all white. I’m hoping to repaint it to match the maroon and grey stripes that are on N112TG now.

1 Like

I’ve been flying this for 40+ hours as a beta tester and it’s really a fun plane. It has a nice little gps, no autopilot,but it trims out nice , has a airbreak , you can open the canopy. Of course you need to get used to it because it’s a bit of a different bird. I really enjoyed it and now bought the released version :grin:

2 Likes

For a plane that is designed for 1800NM range, the lack of an autopilot kinda hurts. Since it isnt using its ultimate flight characteristics, I really hope that the completed version has an autopilot.

I may purchase it when it is on the market but I think this is a very common feeling im seeing.

It doesn’t hurt at all trim out lean back and put the minor corrections in with the joystick (if trimmed out properly in good weather maybe every few minutes when cruising). i’ve flown very long trips with it already.

1 Like

Of course, in real life id definitely be laser focused on not falling out of the sky and probably would be ok just trimming it out well and making minor corrections, as you are required to be lucid even with autopilot. But since this is a consumer flight sim (or a game really), the benefit of flying those long trips on autopilot is that you can kind of just turn it on and go make a sandwich or do your housework, clearly a luxury that one should not do in flight IRL. I don’t think anyone wants to sit behind a computer for 7+ hours making corrections every 5 mins or less if they want to fly this plane to its potential.

Dont get me wrong, I will buy this, its a really unique plane and ive heard nothing but great things about the developer. I just think it will be far more applicable to peoples wants and needs if it had an autopilot installed. Also noting that the flight physics are still in flux and currently based on an interim default flight model, that means that short range VFR and light acrobatic flights are missing their full potential for now. So intermediate distance flights would def benefit from an AP.

Considering how borked the autopilot function on most of the released aircraft is, I am glad it has been omitted on this aircraft.
No doubt when Asobo/MS get the finger out and sort these fundamental game issues we will hopefully see autopilots in 3rd party planes that work.

Frankly, for the GA planes, I havent had the same problems a lot of people have been having. Yeah sometimes it goes bonkers and sets the trim all the way up or something if its climbing too steep or something, but Ive been able to wrestle it to work in everything other than the tubeliners. The Longitude obviously has the dolphin dance. Even when the Carenado M20 was released it had the side to side wobble bug, but that was easily remediated if you set nav mode when you are manually on the GPS track when you engage it. That was patched and now it works correctly as far as I know. Ive flown the TBM, Mooney and C172 200+ hours a mix of manually and on AP.

Personally, I want AP available in payware planes. Even retro planes I would like the option. And yes I want AP to work. Theres a lot of room for improvement, but in my book a working AP especially on payware makes a plane go from “Hey thats kinda neat to fly every once in a while” to “OK maybe I will fly this plane as one of my primaries, and fly long distances”. So yeah when we are going out of our way to buy 3rd party aircraft, maybe its me just not being hardcore enough or something but give us Autopilot because I dont want to be flying 1800 miles with my hands on the yoke the whole time in sim.

1 Like

The AP works well enough in both the Cessna 182T, and the Mooney M20R. Their initial releases were a little iffy, but they patched that out in short order.

I’d give this new aircraft a go, but right now I am restricting my purchases the the in-sim Marketplace. As soon as it hits there, I will take a look.

The Carenado M20R and C182 APs work fine. They were wonky at launch and required a couple of patches to iron out the oscillation issues in NAV / GPS mode. But to say that the AP doesn’t work in 3rd party planes is just plain wrong.

My initial impressions are quite good. Very good 3d model and textures, it flies very well. Because the sim doesnt properly support aircraft with canards, the stall characteristics are not great but Dino has mentioned it will be updated when the SDK is update. The price is very reasonable compared to some of the other aircraft on the market currently.

My main complaint would be the sound package. It uses the Legacy sound engine, not the new Wwise sound engine, and it did not include a soundai folder which was a let down because of how integral multiplayer is in this game. Dino mentioned some difficulties in transitioning to the new sound engine but from what I understand, the sound is a work in progress.

Overall I am quite happy with my purchase and Dino/Indiafoxtecho have a good reputation for supporting and updating their aircraft well into the future so I have no doubt the package will only improve going forward.

Hi Skip! Is that the Plane your father built?

Yep! My brother-in-law, a Coast Guard aviator, is flying it out of Miami currently. It doesn’t have an autopilot, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t even have elevator trim, and it only just recently acquired a starter. You used to have to hand crank that prop. Scary.

I made my own 3D model of it that I never got around to converting into a flight simulator aircraft. Homebuilt aircraft are all a little different, but this model Indiafoxtech is using is pretty dàrn close. Different nose cone, has wheel pants, and a big scoop air inlet instead of a flush inlet, but I’m hoping to repaint it to match:

1 Like

Oh yea hand cranking is darn scary! I once heard of a guy that cut his arm off from a group of older people. There was also a lot of German Bier in the game and they werent that trustworthy anymore.

That 3D model looks beutiful you should really try to use it in some way!

aahh, great, I’ll have a look!

A club member had the VariEze and loved it. But it wasn’t exactly a handy airplane to travel and being experimental there were too many restrictions so he sold it eventually. ^^