Long-Time Bugs Since Launch Day - Why Aren't They Getting Fixed?

Pardon the rant, but this pertains to long-time bugs and issues which have been there for a LONG time - some even since the beginning. They are glaring, obvious bugs that have been there for years, they’ve all been reported multiple times over the years - but somehow they never make it to the top of the priority list to get fixed. These bugs absolutely RUIN the long-haul airliner sim experience.

The big ones for me are the AI Pilot behavior and problems with ATC.

AI Pilot STILL does not climb to the correct assigned altitude, which causes ATC to repeatedly go into the “Please expedite your climb” routine over and over again. SUPER annoying. From what I can tell, I think the bug is related to the altimeter settings - it appears as though the AI Pilot ALWAYS flies as though the altimeter is standard (29.92), and when the altimeter is lower during the initial climb-out, then it levels off well below the correct altitude. ATC will not assign a higher altitude until the aircraft reaches within approximately 250 feet of the correct assigned altitude, and therefore it begins the dreaded “Please expedite” cycle. To solve this, I can deselect AI Pilot and instead manually use the autopilot instruments in the cockpit. But why can’t it just work?

On the ground, AI Pilot STILL does not apply brakes during taxi when “hold position” instructions are issued. Instead, it simply disengages and continues to roll in whatever direction is happens to be going, without steering or applying brakes. Sometimes this causes a runway incursion, or a crash into a building or object, ending the session. AI Pilot will not regain control of the aircraft until ATC instructs to “continue taxi”, at which point it will need to make dramatic steering changes to get back to what is supposed to be the correct taxiway. A LONG time ago, it used to work. What changed? Why hasn’t it been fixed? And what takes so long to fix it? Will it ever be fixed? Who knows.

ATC stops responding mid-flight. This seems to happen frequently when the AI Pilot has control of communications, and changes frequency during a hand-off. It seems that if it happens to change frequencies in the middle of another aircraft communicating with the new ATC frequency, it causes this issue to start.
When ATC communicates, it is no longer audible, and the text no longer appears in the ATC window. However, you can still hear and read the AI Pilot respond to these “invisible” ATC instructions. The problem is that when you want to disengage the AI Pilot, and you can’t hear the instructions from ATC, it makes things difficult (or impossible) during critical flight phases (like descent, approach, and landing, for example). This isn’t a new bug, it’s been there a long time. So why hasn’t it been addressed? Will it ever get fixed?

Other issues include the AI Pilot missing the airport / crashing during approach and landings, a building at Amsterdam Schiphol located directly adjacent to a taxiway that causes a wing strike / crash, and many more.

ALL of these issues have been reported to Zendesk, many times over a long period of time, but for some reason they are all still there.
Somehow, they never seem to make the top of the list of bugs, and therefore get zero priority for getting fixed. Update after update come and go, and more often than not, these same bugs remain, and usually alongside new ones.

These issues literally RUIN the long-haul airline sim experience, and I’ve been waiting and waiting for them to fix it - and they never do. Why? What’s the problem? Why is there no priority for this? When it launched, I bought the top-tier bundle specifically because it included the 787, and handcrafted airports like Amsterdam Schiphol - both of which have been bugged SINCE LAUNCH DAY.

This doesn’t even touch on all of the add-ons I’ve wasted my money on, because they are incompatible with the sim and cause additional problems and game CTDs.

Is the game so fundamentally flawed, that they are unable to get these basic features to function properly? Are there so many issues with the sim that they are unable to handle the workload of getting them fixed - even the basic ones? Why do they keep introducing new updates and features that introduce so many new problems, before they’ve had time to fix the old problems? I don’t need more World Updates - and the plethora of new problems they bring - as much as I need them to get these basic core sim features to work correctly. Once they do that - THEN roll out new features, and then maybe they can keep up with the workload of keeping everything running smoothly.

I’ve reached the point where I only try the sim out once after every update, with dim hopes of these core functions working properly. But I always end up disappointed, as I simply cannot complete a long-haul airline flight without running into some sort of issue that completely ruins it, and I end up just turning it off.

13 Likes

This topic has an identical title so maybe give it a look. There are even some official responses in there:

Interesting that I’m not the only one with the same frustrations. Obviously this needs attention.

2 Likes

What would be the experience if you didn’t use AI Pilot and ATC? Is it possible to plan, and fly a real-world long-haul airliner route without these assists? I get that they may indeed be buggy and can break immersion for those who choose to use them. But would you prioritize this ahead of fundamental simulation issues such as accurate weather and wind simulation? These are all issues that have exhibited long standing bugs for quite some time.

5 Likes

I believe that in actual real-world long haul flights, a co-pilot dealing with communications and sensible contact with the ATC are compulsory.

So how can you have true immersion without them?

2 Likes

There is no reason to forgive.
The truth must be told and mentioned as often as possible!

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why the updates keep bringing in new stuff but nothing seems to be done about these existing issues. I am having really bad stutter and as with others especially when landing/take off which is ruining the sim for me. I have tried everything to fix.

1 Like

There are soooooooooooooooo many posts on this topic. Do a search. It is getting, IMHO, worse with every update. Fundamentally flawed things are left unfixed while we get more and more “eye candy”. It does not make sense to me but I guess the folks at the top have other ideas. Too bad!!!

1 Like

My AI pilot works well and does what ever I need. it is not a lot.

In practice, I find that doesn’t happen if I don’t hand over the comms till I’m in the air. Give that a try.

It is called $$ Marketing $$ the Cash Cow. Eye Candy has more importance than fixing core bugs. Bug repairs do not bring income.

4 Likes

Maybe your extremely long “rant” (as you called it) would have been better served if it had been strategically entered as a Bug Ticket ???

1 Like

I’m guessing we were all excited when MSFS first came out, but it did have quite a few bugs. We hoped that they would be addressed soon, and I assumed they would be. So here came more revisions, and instead of fixing bugs, more were introduced. After several more revisions, it seemed like MSAsobo began to listen and fixed some of the more irritating stuff (to me personally), like the flight ending when the engines were shut down. Then we found that instead of starting a new trend of fixing bugs, they started to put their time and effort into more eye candy. Now keep in mind that MSAsobo knew about the Reno races and Top Gun long before we knew they were coming out, so their attention has always been diverted from bug fixes. No doubt they were given a deadline and they were told to deliver. They had to push to get those DLCs done (or coordinate them), and the fixes would just have to wait.

So now we’ve had no telling how many actual code changes (including some that were just ‘done’ with no explanation) and this is the result. And we have no idea how many ‘fixes’ were applied to their in-house servers either. MSAsobo is pointing to all the DLC they put out to congratulate themselves as they make the mother ship happy, all while trying to keep everything running with spit and paper clips along the way. When you add that together, you get a company that’s swimming upstream because they can’t fix what they’ve done, and it’s way too late to start over.

4 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better. I am quickly getting turned off from MSFS. It is not what was sold to us. I find myself looking more and more forward to X-Plane 12.
For now I am going back to FS9 and all of the addons that work. I still use MSFS but less and less as time goes on.

1 Like

Most of the things in this post I would call inadequate design/implementation rather than bugs. The only thing I would really call a bug is ATC going silent midway through a flight. That said, this is a “flight” simulator not a “passenger” simulator. If the AI copilot is going to do everything, what’s the point? The only thing I use it for is ATC comms when I’m flying an airliner. If I’m flying GA, I do it all myself.

That’s just my opinion. I am well aware that that different people have different ways that they use the sim to make it enjoyable for them.

Nearly everything stated by the OP related to the AI pilot. Since i don’t use it i have never seen any of these issues. I see no bugs (other than unavoidable world scenery glitches) so i like these new updates coming out and want more!

They are fixing bugs but they have to move the sim forward as well. The cost of MSFS is huge and they need to keep all the users as happy as they can rather than stop everything and focus on a particular feature for a subset of users.

1 Like

They are there, whether you see them or not. :wink:

1 Like

So if an airline pilot works with a copilot and wants him/her to handle ATC communications, the pilot may as well just leave the cockpit and sit in a passenger seat, right? That’s ridiculous to simplify and downplay these issues and label it as a “passenger simulator”. The flight sim should - you know - sim flights, in the same way they are operated in the real world. That includes utilizing a copilot to help with ATC communications and/or flight controls and/or autopilot. This reduces the workload for the PIC. These are supposed to be functional features in the sim. These are advertised to be features in the sim. So why is it so bad that people aren’t too happy when it doesn’t work as advertised? They should do the right thing and get it to work the way it’s supposed to.

1 Like

I agree with your sentiment, that an implemented feature should work correctly. I would never disagree with that, although some 3PD’s would argue the toss.

What I would add to this is you have to include the impact of this to the community as a whole. I would imagine you are in a minority of people that want the AI to do everything. Note that this is separate to the AP, which you have to program, and instruct.

If the community doesn’t make a large enough fuss about this, then it won’t get much traction. Things like flight model issues, weather implementation, performance, CTD’s…all these will cause it to take a back seat, till such as time as such higher value items are resolved.

ATC communications is the only thing I use the AI copilot for. In airliners, that’s totally realistic. But your original post also mentioned the AI copilot not taxing correctly, not holding altitude in cruise and not correctly performing approaches and landings. If the AI copilot is doing all those things for you, what are you doing as the pilot? That was the source of my “passenger simulator” comment. If you really want to simulate a two pilot cockpit crew you need something like FS2Crew.