Longterm for XBox

How do you like the Turtle Beach?

I have them both.

S works good…

1 Like

Almost unplayable on my Xbox x. I am using scenery from JustSim, Uk2000 FSDreamteam and am getting CTD most of the time. Initially I thought it coincided with use of the top hat on my HOTAS One from Thrustmaster but it is happening more and more regardless of key inputs. I raised it on Zendesk and they suggested a vanilla reload, I think that is just a reinstall without any addons to see if it still happens. I am loathe to do it as it worries me regarding proof of everything I have added! Plus the length of time it would take. It may be the only way to get it working though.

Thank you for your valuable response to this thread! It is very pleasing to know that Xbox and PC users are equally important to the developers and community managers! As an Xbox supporter I would like to see more time devoted to xbox issues and developments in the Dev Q & As. One of my particular interests apart from the software testing isssues of developers is in whether new methods of implementing tools like Navigraph and Simbrief on the xbox platform are being investigated! I also note that Jayne to her great credit did raise the issue of Simbrief which produced a wry smile from Jorg and a ‘What can I say look!’ from Seb. Track IR on xbox is another issue! Anyway many thanks for the encouraging response!

Your purchases are tied to your XBox user ID. All my purchases (not that many) on XBox easily tranferred over to a new install of FS on my PC with the same XBox user ID. I don’t see how that situation would change with a fresh FS XBox install. Maybe they just mean removing your add ons and seeing if CTDs improve though (no fresh install). Like I said before on this thread the oft repeated support suggestion after SU releases on PC is usually ‘empty your community folder’ (of freeware). So, ‘uninstall your add ons’ is the equivalent suggeastion for payware. Again, IMO it shouldn’t have to be the responsibility of end users to check compatibility of paid for add ons sold through the official FS marketplace.

3 Likes

On Xbox S and I am waiting to get add-ons until the sim becomes more stable. With vanilla options and aircrafts I must say it runs pretty smooth and at times I am just awe struck by how amazing this thing is. Of course it is far from perfect yet but I think Asobo deserve a bit of slack as they have done an incredible work in producing this. Of course I wish the day comes when everything is more stable and even on the Xbox we can get better airliners and a more reliable marketplace where add-ons are properly tested and sold once they are working as promised.

2 Likes

Probably the best way to go with XBox tbh. XBox S is definitely great value for a FS entry point. The series X the same but for 4K gaming. I was taking your approach with my series X (before I sold it) of not adding too much to it to keep it stable. I eventually relented and bought 4 airports that I wanted and that was really it. If you can exist that way your experience for the most part will likely be the most stable. I think peoples experiences also depend on type of use and peripherals, so if you are say flying small default props with a XBox controller or a Hotas, there will be far fewer annoyances than for example doing long distance in an airliner with mouse, keyboard etc. If you are doing your own flights then you may have a better experience than say those people trying to attain awards or complete the bush trips (with their associated bugs).
From a CTD point of view I should note that I get CTD’s on PC too but the CTD’s are less frequent that those I had on XBox so for the most part I can live with them. They rarely/never happen during flights, mainly on loading screens and the like. I maybe get 1-3 a week.

@Habit367 there is a compatibility spreadsheet that a member here has created that your input would be welcomed no doubt if you’d like to at least have a look at? I did share the link to the thread way above.

@BragRaindrop933 ahhhh, the “Clear the Community Folder” technique to fix the game. How many times must you have seen that I wonder? I know I’ve seen it countless times in the short time I’ve been. It’s funny how this makes one feel old and nostalgia strikes.

P.S I have once did a reinstall when I only had a few items and they did restore perfectly fine afterward. It’s nerve racking as hell as I was equally worried I’d lose it all. The things we have to go through in order to get things working properly huh

1 Like

The thing is having to do it for freeware I get, I’m in charge of the checking process. Having to do it for officially sold add ons I don’t get. If they are incompatible, they need to be pre checked (before any SU release) and flagged / disabled somehow, not just be left to end user to find they may cause CTD’s, then say ‘ah well, you have add ons’. There really needs to be a flag system somewhere. These suggestions to return the sim to vanilla on XBox are completely taking the mick so to speak.

2 Likes

I remember someone telling me they reinstalled the game 4 times in order to get 4 achievements to pop, that was on Series S if not mistaken. Speaking of, have you gone down that road trying to get any? Would I assume correctly by saying they’re broken on PC as well?

I haven’t been trying too much any more. Recent pinnacle (as it were) was ‘My Way’ popping a couple of months ago. Most of the rest are long term ones like 500hrs and 500 different airports stuff.
The bush trips I’ve given up on, having already done Patagonia and Alaska ones and running into bugs along the way (eg spawning into forest after a crash) and other issues that got me at 90% in both by the end, but they wouldn’t complete without redoing them both which lets face it just isn’t going to happen. My achievement stats, landing challenges and training all transferred OK with my ID to PC which is great but both of those aforementioned bush trips were reset to 0% progress. Oh well, just as well I’m not ocd about the bush trips or bothered about the completionist type awards.
Given that there are so many long term players, I think they could do with revamping the award system to cater for long haulers. A lot of the awards pop doing training and landing challenges etc. within the first few weeks. I’m now close to 400hrs (since July) and don’t have many ones left that aren’t gated by bugs.

1 Like

I’ve recently surpassed the 500hrs and it took me 3 or so hours further than that before it even registered. The World Traveller one proved a real grind as at best guess 60-70 were denied along the way. This shows to me the game only gives out the achievements when it feels like it. My Way has so many people stumped I couldn’t be bothered with it for now. Some of them we’ll probably never get I’ve also concluded.

This points out a problem in the Gaming Industry as a whole. These developers or publishers more like don’t care for our time and resources. Endless Fetch quests, hours upon hours grinding for items you need in order to progress in a game, Bottomless pits of collectibles some of which take several attempts at getting. They love wasting our time. This in their eyes constitutes as content so they can brag to publications that their games take hundreds if not thousands of hours to complete. No, in reality the game makes you run around like a Bell-end unreasonably for hours for pointless stuff so you can finally end the suffering.

Wow, this rant came outta nowhere but brings some real issues to the table :rofl:

Sorry if I talk too much

1 Like

Don’t hold back, let it out :rofl:

Yeah some of the awards have popped at weird or delayed times for me. When I had both platforms some awards I likely completed on PC didn’t pop until I launched XBox but not always, (so inconsistent) so it was hard to know which precise flights had triggered them. Which is poor when you then try to describe to others for example how you achieved ‘My Way’.
As you say there seems to be some degree of imprecision about some of the calculations. In the end I stopped caring, but it can make it a frustrating process if you are the type of person who does care about aiming for them. Lets face it gaming is largely about achievements, awards & goals & completion these days. Some people can’t even fathom what to do to entertain themselves in the flight simulation world without them. Fortunately I’m not one of those people having flight simmed in a previous life, but I can understand that gamer mindset.

It’s a market little different to where you get your pirated and freeware mods so why aren’t you bothering them?
And anyway who says Asobo don’t check them? even if they find something all they can do is inform the devs of the mod and add it to known issues. Rewriting another companies code would quite likely land them a rather hefty legal bill and a massive fine so why take the chance?

On Xbox S small props work perfectly and recently also the vanilla Airbus is allowing me to enjoy most flights without any major issues but the usual ones like ALT, SPEED, HDG bugs being erratic and jumping all over the place when you adjust them and the known limitation of the MCDU like DIR or the mess it causes most times if you want to alter your approach or change runway. I am not an experienced simmer but I try to learn and follow procedures, use SIMBRIEF, Approach charts and so on. The way I see it right now is that given lots of the issues are not realistic, you do learn to fly the aircraft with its limitation and I am now able to recover and prevent issues that before were sending the aircraft in an uncontrollable spin! I guess it is a bit part of the fun even though it won’t satisfy the hard core simmers and those that are looking for a student grade quality plane. Still hope for those to come one day!

2 Likes

I’d be careful throwing baseless accusations around.

Edited just for you

I’d check with settings on your xbox. You should see all your games and addons. The you can just delete them from xbox they will still be in MS Cloud Service. I’ve done this once by accident and once on propose. Yup it will take time and maybe some extra $$ if your are paying for bytes.
Sadly a clean install seems to be the MS way…

dw

I like the Turtle Beach once I figured out to get the Xbox S to see it after upgrading the firmware. The customer support was great. Refreshing compared to the support we get from MS.

The issue – Xbox S not ‘seeing’ TB Controller. The solution was I had to re-boot the game with no keyboard or mouse installed and the TB Controller not installed. Once FS was up and running then I attached TB. FS ‘saw’ the TB Controller and it works as advertised. All is happy in Dusttyworm world again.

dw

ps I’m looking forward to seeing many more hours of my life disappear in the Flight Sim world…

1 Like

Since I’ve been flying on my PC the last few days, my approach to add-ons/mods is very much been the same — extremely limited.

Other than the FPS drop after long distance flights, I’ve not had any major bugs or CTD on the PC. I hope to keep it all that way by tempering what I add-on to it.

As it was, I really didn’t have too many on the Xbox either (save for the entire day of them when SU7 released and I was trying to figure out the Next Pilot Position bug, but that was pretty unique).

I’ve tried pretty hard to limit these things because I understand how easily a bunch of incompatibilities could become an issue.

As I’ve read this forum, I’ve pondered many PC user’s complaints of instability (aka CTD) and other issues and have definitely wondered if they are due to all the various add-ons they deem essential for the sim to be to their liking. It certainly isn’t outside the realm of possibility that they are conflicting with aspects of the sim that lead to various issues.

Like many Xbox users here, I’ve found the sim extremely stable. What has been frustrating for me has been the multitude of little bugs that just crop up on a daily and/or every flight basis that just continue to be so annoying. So many of these bugs (UI issues, Junkers glare shield light switch, DA40 nose wheel not pivoting, etc.) would be the perfect thing to set a bunch of jr. programmers after to fix, leaving the heavy lifting (live weather, photogrammetry, optimization, GPS module functionality, etc.) to the senior programming staff.

In spite of all these things, pulling off a smooth, trouble-free flight in MSFS 2020 is such a glory to behold! As I type this, I feel the pull to sit down and go flying.

3 Likes

Given this is such a well received thread on Xbox I have watched one of the first reviews of the Embraer 110 Bandeirante on YouTube. It seems to work pretty well on Xbox and it looks like I am 30 quid poorer… Have others installed it I wonder? Pretty excited as this could be the start of better flights ahead and will hopefully spur more developers to dive into Xbox despite the first hiccups…

2 Likes