Longterm for XBox

All of my DLC has been restored.

Hopefully MS can figure out why there is a discrepancy when devs test on virtual Xbox on the PC and then at times the result when it goes live on the Xbox network that issues pop up that did not previously. They need to make this a smoother transition for everyone involved including MS themselves.
Wish we knew more about the vetting process.

1 Like

Once an update or a 3rd party product goes live out in the wild, our Xboxes don’t like it one bit, at least for “some” items, since they’re different. Yeah I get it.

@dusttyworm you’re not missing anything much but maybe a slight bump in resolution really. Even the mighty Series X doesn’t respond well to this game.

The series X is only worth upgrading to if you want 4K output. if you don’t need that then there is little reason to upgrade. From people’s experiences there is no fundamental MSFS performance gain to be had. 4K/HDR gaming is it really, which is fine if your TV supports those formats and would be worth the upgrade alone if it does. FS does look lovely in 4K on a large UHD screen, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t.

1 Like

Yeah the frame rate is locked in the same at 60fps from what I understand but it’s just that the X fluctuates dynamically somewhere in-beween 1440-2160p range and the S is 1080-1440p. That’s kinda like the standard benchmark from what I’ve been able to assume. On other games you can choose There’s different modes like I was talking about which lower frames but increase overall resolution and vice versa. It depends if you want quality or buttery smooth performance.

I can speak from experience here.

I purchased an S when, after nearly a year of trying, I couldn’t procure an X.

I was really blown away by the “little console that could”.

I finally stumbled upon an X the day after Black Friday and made the switch.

I can see definite improvements in the textures of the cockpits foremost. I fly the Carenado C170B the most and the OAT gauge face was pretty hard to read on the S, but looks great on the X.

The added draw distance is also a very visible and obvious improvement. This is most obvious whilst taxiing.

Beyond that, there are subtle differences, but the S is no slouch and a remarkable powerhouse for its price point and availability.

3 Likes

Is that at 4K or 1080?

Who is this directed to?

Sorry, I have a Xbox Serie S, Has anyone noticed a deterioration of the ground textures resolution?

sorry, was asking you if the X looked better in your comparison because you were looking at it at 4K or were you outputting on a 1080 screen and doing a like for like comparison. I mean I’d expect it to look better on 4K, was just wondering if textures were rendering better on the same res as the series S.

I’m not sure if you’re asking if a change has occurred recently or if in general.

My issue with ground textures on the S was mainly in terms of draw distance.

For instance, when I would taxi, the taxiway directly in front of the aircraft would be rendered well. However, maybe 20-30 feet beyond it was poorly rendered and very “muddy” in its detail.

Other than that, I don’t recall being overly critical of ground textures when on the ground. From the air, I thought they looked great, so much so that, because my first experience with MSFS 2020 was on an S, I was blown away.

I have a 4K UHD HDR TV, so the S was connected to it. If I understand correctly, the S can do some sort of 1440 wizardry, but I don’t know if that is being applied in MSFS.

Obviously, with the X it’s taking full advantage of what the TV can do.

So, in short, the TV is the same, but I’m not quite sure what the S was actually providing in MSFS.

1 Like

I’m talking about the texture resolution from the air. After SU7 the texture are blurry compared with the oldest. I don’t know if there is a server issue.

Yes so it’s display/res dependant. If you have the UHD TV maybe with HDR , 60Hz & VRR then the series X may be for you. If you don’t then there’s little point in upgrading, which is the point I was making.

Maybe it was the lower RAM? That would certainly have an effect on your immediate surroundings I would guess.

I didn’t have much opportunity to fly SU7 on the S.

I’d had the first day of SU7 release crash on me every single flight bar one due to the “Next Pilot Position” bug. Any flying I did do was so wrapped up in trying to figure out the cause of that bug.

Then, I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday and got the X shortly after.

How was the general performance when in the air and navigating around the cockpit? At one point I have heard this game handling things perhaps a little better than the X. You’re definately in position to make an honest comparison, textures aside of course.

I, too, have seen some generalizations made by others in this regard. However, how many of these people have had seat time with both consoles?

I have, in general, noticed very little between them — really.

My initial impression was, honesty, “Uh, why did I just spend all this money on the X?” Then, I began to spend time looking at things more carefully and noting the subtleties that make the X the higher performing machine. The cockpit textures, for sure, are a big improvement and since that is where you spend your time, it’s a very welcome step up.

Truly, though, there is very little between them. I didn’t see any sorts of glaring issues with things like camera motion or other performance aspects that you’d run into with every single flight. In terms of how the consoles respond to input and whatnot, they felt identical.

1 Like

I turn off HDR for this game as well as the colour saturation always seemed to much, especially greens and browns.

In fact, when I fired up the sim for the first time on my Razer Blade, it looked horrible compared to the Series S.

Of course, most “games” come out of the box with graphics settings for FPS and in my case, I had poor visuals everywhere and bad frame rate behavior.

Once I capped the framerate at 30 (this isn’t a shooter, I don’t really need 60+ FPS here), adjusted the LOD and set the graphics at Ultra it’s now looking/performing very, very well.

The X still looks better, of course, at 4K and with its newer internals and higher performance than my Blade.

I use VRR (next gen feature) and i have uncapped FPS on Series X