Longterm for XBox

I actually have very little faith anymore this will even be looked at or addressed. I’ve been directed to file a zen desk ticket. We all know, based on many people submitting tickets, as soon as the reader sees the word “3rd party” they stop reading, close the ticket, and send the ticket filer an email stating to contact the 3rd party developer. I have enough test cases that show it doesn’t matter what vendors the conflict comes from, it doesn’t matter where the airport is payware or default, this problem can be reproduced, leaving it a sim issue. I don’t want to find fault. I don’t care who fixes it. Bugs happen. I just did enough research to show without a shadow of doubt the specific area in the sim that has the issue. And it won’t ever get addressed, because no one will ever read the ticket fully. A bug in the Content Manager lookup is sim code, but there is no way to explain this issue without mentioning 3rd party addon, and that is a word that is immediate closure of the ticket.

I now understand the helpless feelings the 3rd party developers have. You try and help, you try and drive to a resolution, but you keep hitting brick walls…

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m at the point where if in the next 1-3 months there isn’t substantial improvement on the Xbox side, I’m out on console. I love my Series X and I’ll continue to use it regularly for other titles and Gamepass (I’ve owned consoles most of my life). But I’ll gladly just move over to a PC for this sim, they’ve made it easy enough to do with marketplace purchases, so there’s no loss going to PC from Xbox. It’s just sad that after 6 or so months it’s come to this, with many users simply saying enough is enough and moving to PC or completely off the platform in some cases.

There’s definitely huge potential with this sim on Xbox. It’s absolutely gorgeous most of the time on my big screen and the Series X (at least in my case) handles this sim in 4K no problem. But the countless bugs (the mouse issue, Hotas sensitivity settings not saving, black screens, etc.), constant CTDs from 3rd party add ons, and lack of testing capability for Xbox Marketplace items has worn me out.

It’s funny, sometimes I even forget I own the Hotas One or whatever it’s called, because I never use it due to that day one launch bug. In fact, I only purchased the stick after I saw Jorg talking about it during an interview right before the sim was released on Xbox. Look at Q&A with PMDG and what transpired the weeks following on Xbox. It’s just simply isn’t worth the trouble anymore on console, at least for me. Maybe things will change here in early 2022, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

5 Likes

This was my case too. Monitoring not just the lack of fixes, but the perceived lack of recognition by the devs of those issues.
I do realise that things may get addressed, but I have no confidence in the time frame for that, and right now is when I want to use FS not in a year or mores time. It’ll be interesting to see what SU8 brings in Feb, maybe that is an FS / XBox line in the sand for many. But devs currently seem so busy ‘fixing’ the new weather system that a pre Christmas hotfix didn’t make it out and will end up likely being released in SU8 instead. Maybe my optimism/expectations for SU8 need to be reigned in.

1 Like

If it works on Vanilla Xbox which is all MS can test then the problem is with your box. Could be hardware or third party stuff.
Stands to reason. MS will only test on their vanilla setup. Your mention of the Microsoft LAB network is slightly confusing in that regard. They test on a given, standard XBox.
But wow, you have a TAX refund? Quick buy a good PC and put the XBox on Ebay.

There is nothing wrong with his Xbox, the problem is MSFS.

I guess this is the direction we will go, just like when bugs started affecting people on PC and and the answer was, it’s your PC, it’s your video card, It’s your copy of Windows, on and on. This is why I read countless threads here where people kept re-installing Windows of all things because the excuse is to blame the end user and not the product.

If there is a problem with 3rd party add ons causing issues on the Xbox, maybe Microsoft or Asobo should do something about that, instead of releasing the addons and leaving the end user as the person to blame. Also, I seriously doubt any Xbox console is being used as a test bed for updates and 3rd party addons. Because if they were, a lot of this stuff should have been caught before being released.

But who knows, with the track record here lately, maybe they are…

1 Like

Over at the PMDG Forums it was said, there is a an issue between xBox OS and MSFS and it has to be fixed on the OS side. This bug is “hiding” in MSs test enviroment. That’s why there are many issues with the xBox…

Maybe they just need to release win 11 on XBox problem solved. :rofl:

1 Like

I do wonder how they test though. Do they test a add on and then remove it, then load another and test, remove…. Or do they test the way a user would, just keep adding the next add on?
If they did the latter, I would think they would see CTD like many customers.
So it does beg the question of how they test

I believe you’re correct, they can’t test on a physical Xbox. Just an environment that mimics them.

I play on xbox regularly. I dont find any of the scenery stuff appealing enough to spend. Maybe if there was a Minneapolis one I might so I understand the appeal for people who live or play in these specific places all the time. I do agree these are unacceptable standards. Especially with each one having a hefty pricetag for what they are. I crash around 2 hours in but recently Ive been able to play for a lot longer without any. Though with only having purchased/installed 7 aircraft and most of the free stuff including world updates. There are so many other gameplay factors like different combinations of settings. I have a 64gb rolling cache to minimize pop in textures where I frequent. I also did a fresh install about 2 weeks ago too.

Ive been more concerned about the aircraft taking forever. Ive been ready to throw down cash for several of my my favorites I need in a collection that were all originally planned to be out by now. Yet Im hearing this constant flow of APPROVED static ground stuff is broken :joy:. Im so bored of waiting that I was thinking of blowing some microsoft rewards points on the mediocre Aircraft Carrier pack while its still 7$. Now I probably wont unless somebody can confirm it doesnt have problems.

Im late to this thread I hope to help anyone who sees this with the F15s who haven’t found out. But I found a fix that basically makes the throttle function normally on controllers. An update is on the way for various improvements that I believe also may have fixed it. Im sure that will hang in limbo too. Clone your current controller profile and change it so these are your only bindings for adjusting throttle

Speaking of DA40 bugs…

I’d like to add the RPM bug… the constant redlining… to the list.

There’s already a post about this, but maybe it needs more votes before it gets fixed???

Thanks!

I am assuming they dont test any add ons at all. That should be the task of the add on manufacturer to keep the add on compatible with the product.
At least that is my assumption. They should test whatever is sold via the marketplace, but that would be all I think. So if I had to do this I would have an Xbox with all the marketplace stuff on it. Then throw the changes or updates on it and if it runs then release it. If it doesnt then fix it with the market place manufacturer or the sim software, then release it.
So keep a control xbox running in the lab in that way.
But who knows how it is tested.

Read my latest reply on Third Party Developers, PLEASE READ - #16 by tgbushman for a full detailed explaination of reproduce steps and detailed analysis of how I came to the conclusion I did where the bug exists

What % of improvement do you think there is between the two?

Is it worth the upgrade?

It was always my intention to get a Series X, but with the ongoing supply chain nightmare coupled with the scalpers, I purchased an S as a stopgap. I figured I would hand the S off to the teenager when I procured an X. In other words, it wasn’t an intentional upgrade, but always the intention.

That said, I absolutely appreciate the improved draw distance. That did seem like the biggest most obvious weakness of the sim on the S and the most obvious improvement. I had expected the overall graphic quality to be a major step up, but it really isn’t, and that is the most incredible thing about the power of that S. Yes, the 4K is a subtle improvement over whatever the S was providing (upscaled 1440P?).

Since I am going for a “real” simming experience, I fly exclusively in 1st person and the X’s interior texture improvements over the S are definitely appreciated and worth it since that is where I spend most of my time interacting with the aircraft. As I mentioned, the C170B is my favorite small GA aircraft (as an aside, I’m constantly finding myself browsing the used aircraft market for a real one) and the instrument face textures are much better on the X. At night, when I turn on both the red interior lights, the blue map light and have the instrument backlights turned on it’s visually stunning. Again, though, I really don’t want to diminish that the S really impressed in this fashion, too.

I had made the upgrade to a 4K TV and having the X be able to exploit its resolution and HDR made the X the obvious choice. As I said, that was always my intention.

If MS can get their act together and streamline and/or create a method for improving the testing and certification process for the Xbox Marketplace, they will have an impressive system at a reasonable price for many people to get into simming. I’m having a hard time keeping myself away from the Xbox when I know there is a perfectly good PC with TrackIR and my DC-6 in the other room. I’m hooked on the massive TV as a display and the comfort of the sofa along with not being sequestered away alone in the other room. I’ve made a decent control setup. I took a wooden lap desk, drilled 6mm holes in it and bolted my Hotas One throttle on the left and the stick on the right. The Xbox controller sits between them and the Razer Turret keyboard fits perfectly below. The rudder pedals even work great while seated at the sofa, too. It really is an awesome setup and truly hope they come good on its promise.

4 Likes

The Series X renders at 4K (and scales down when needed), the Series S renders at 1080p (and scales up when needed).

You can of course use your PC (assumnig you have an HDMI outut) to display on the 4K TV. It will upscale ok at 1080 output. I even tried my 1400x810px laptop upscaled to 1080 in FS then upscaled to my 4K TV and it is livable with. Downside is the HDMI cable length requires my laptop to be close to the TV, which isn’t convenient.

I think it is MarketPlace DRM encryption process that causes most problems, both for PC and Xbox, but especially for Xbox.

That’s not what Seb said, if my memory serves they both use native 4k, the S renderscaled at 80% and the X at 120%

Then you remember wrong I’m afraid. I think Jorg was pretty clear on it in the dev streams.