Longterm for XBox

He was probably talking to the guy who doesn’t have xbox who keeps advocating to move to PC. If you go back you’ll see that’s who he had replied to(icon is in the corner). Here’s a most recent example.

I just don’t see a gaming PC as being such an obvious choice. It’s a time consuming hobby in itself. The PC version has bugs, too. There are still people on there having issues, which I might add has been far longer than 6 months.

Having a gaming rig was great when I was in my teens. In my 30s with 2 kids not so much lol. It’s not a money thing, though I have a lot of hobbies where that money will go further and still be relevant in 10 years. It’s more of a time thing. Just like with a race car, it runs perfect on the forums, but behind the scenes you’re always wrenching on it and swapping something out.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree. It’s all swings and roundabouts. No perfect solution, and as pointed out previously very dependant on what you use the sim for, and your patience level for resolutions to any issues you see. I’m not advocating PC for casual players or those of you who find XBox works I’m happy it works for you. I am advocating that those with long term issues they are encountering (like I did) with no workarounds, official bugs, or even acknowledgement of those issues move to PC as there is no time frame for fixes being implemented and currently no XBox bug list. For those of you happy on XBox that’s great, it’s also a great platform for things other than FS.

1 Like

It does come across that you’re low key shilling for PC to be fair but I’m sure you’ve got your own headaches to contend with. Why would someone 100% push people one way or another knowing their own platform could go some much needed attention, this won’t help anyone in the situation really. “The Grass Is Always Greener”, comes to mind for some reason.

If you want to go proper hardcore with the Sim, then you have no other choice but to go PC. I’m talking multi-monitor (which I’ve seen people here want support for), multi-peripheral setups with and or without high end VR capability, you know the type I mean. You need significant power to just run a basic but decent VR experience nowadays without it melting your GPU. Not many people who stream VR for instance can do it very well because it taxes their system too much for it to look awesome for the people at home and the user themselves. They usually have to downgrade the quality of the output to the audience to make it playable.

A long winded way of saying PC is the only way forward if you want a hyper hardcore experience and isn’t really the be all end all given the potential shortcomings of going one way or another.

I have the sim on PC and XBOX and neither platform come without headaches.

Sorry to say but I actually have less problems on XBOX to the point I’m now playing it on console more than I am on PC. I got so fed up with installation issues, Sim update issues, chasing frame rates and having problems no one else seemed to be due to the multitude of different set ups and hardware out in the wild that the Xbox just felt like less hassle. I remember having to do a full reinstall because all road traffic went missing, which turned out to be a corrupted package. It can be a massive headache on PC and people spend more time setting up and installing the game than flying it.

Now people’s sims are needing full reinstalls on PC after the beta flight, another avoided issue using the beta on console.

But yes, if I want VATSIM I’ll use the PC.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t care what platform anyone uses. If I enthuse about the PC experience it’s because I’m genuinely impressed by the my experience on it compared with the XBox, not because I think you all should go there. In the end of the day it’s down to what you use it for & what works for you. This thread is about the bugs and lack of recognition or fixing of them on XBox since release, nothing else. Genuine concern at the lack of them being fixed is the real point of this thread and most of the main XBox related FS bugs don’t exist on PC. That is the only point I am making.

1 Like

My few cents in the discussion. I feel that both platforms offer pro and cons. PC is much more expensive and needs much more time invested in fiddling with files and directories and re-installs when things go pear shape. XBOX needs much more patience in waiting for products and fixes as it has to go through Marketplace and we have to live with it. Saying that I love to spend most of my time flying and Xbox to me is perfect for that. I feel those that want to leave MSFS completely will be back in a few years as nothing compare visually to what this offers, it’s just beyond any competitors and as far as quality ‘study level’ planes and physics Microsoft and Asobo are throwing the kitchen sink at it and in a few years even those will be on par if not better with the best of simulators. I find that after the latest update weather and general stability has improved and I had only great flights so far and I am on €300 Xbox S.

2 Likes

A voice of reason & a well balanced post. The XBox is extremely good value and performs well outside of the bugs. I really hope it continues to evolve and expand.
The weather is now much better, I can confirm. Hard metar transitions seem much better to me now despite what some other beta testers may think.

5 Likes

@BragRaindrop933, @jal043 , @Calavera999, all really good points, there’s a kind of stalemate situation going on which is amusing to me for some reason :laughing:

Speaking of the patch, how is everyone feeling about it? Does it perform to everyone’s expectations? Are there any noticeable improvements or differences worth noting? I’m yet to go high altitude so I wonder if the temp spike leading to engine failure still exists? Can we go above FL45 reliably?

I fly on XBox Series X and S. My PC is low spec and doesn’t run it at all well.

I have very few problems on either console and enjoy the better graphics than my sad PC could provide. When everyone was crashing, mine didn’t. On either console. I have the sim installed on the Seagate 1TB and just swap the storage card to whichever system I play on.

Series X is hooked up to my TBV1F and a huge 4K TV. S is used with my T-Flight HOTAS and a 28” 4K monitor on a swing-arm over my recliner in the sitting room. (I’m really old, I need my comfort sometimes).

Yes, it would be nice to see parity with the PC version/Store, but it’s like anything else in life - the grass is always greener on the other side, isn’t it?

I am happy on XBox and gradually figuring out ways to join in more with the PC guys. Discord chat and a basic flight plan are all I need. I am going to look at online tablet/laptop utilities that will allow me to use the special flight plan files that they use over there, and if that means I have to basically VFR it, follow some people, and program some VORs/GPS if I get lost, fine.

Sounds a lot like real life GA to me. :+1:

Happy flying, guys!

6 Likes

No idea about the FL450 bug, have only been up to FL290 since it came out. Weather looks much better to me. So far, happy with the update.

1 Like

So far the update has been good on my end. I had a nice 2 or so hour flight from Vancouver to Denver in the 737 Max, plane was updated recently and is flying nicely for me, weather looked great and I had a nice smooth buttery landing. Good times…

2 Likes

Since the update on Thursday, I had one good flight Friday morning in the A320neo, but it’s been hit and miss since then. Today I had a wonderful flight in the Spitfire, but when I changed to the T-45C, I had a CTD while creating a flight plan. So the CTDs started yesterday evening when I was working through things with the T-45C for the flight I had planned today. I’m at a loss for what is causing this. I did complete a trouble ticket through Zendesk, see how that plays out.

1 Like

The live weather still has the weird down at 23:00-00:12 zulu time thing, which impacts me in CA right at a prime time for flying. However, that wasn’t being addressed (that I’m aware of) in the update. It is still pretty weird to load in with everything at 29.92 on the barometer and clear skies.

Live weather seems better, but I’m no meteorologist nor know how it ought to look for given reported conditions. The weird volcanic looking clouds seem to be less of a thing, but there hasn’t really been much weather in the areas I’ve been flying in to begin with.

My issues with SU7 weren’t really addressed — Next Pilot Position bug, back button missing from Garmin Aera, PC 6 steam gauge control surfaces frozen when starting cold & dark. I do appreciate having the reverse thrust fixed, for sure though!

I didn’t have raging instability or major issues with SU7 beyond the usual long flight stutters and FPS drops. I noted a bit of that after a 20 min flight into San Jose, CA at night.

In essence, the update wasn’t something that brought much to improving my experience. The approach of opening it up to all for early access testing was wise and I hope they continue in this manner.

1 Like

Oh, I did have a flight log issue for the first time, however. I did a number of flights the day of the update that didn’t get logged. I’d never seen that issue before, although I know it’s happened for many pilots dating back quite awhile.

It was weird to run into it. As soon as I’d noted it, I rebooted the sim and it hasn’t occurred since. I had been using Quick Resume, which is something I, early on, realized was giving me issues with the sim, so I always quit it and restarted it between sessions. For some reason, I decided to ignore that and I’m fairly sure that is when the logbook didn’t retain my flights. Lesson learned — quit and restart is the safer option.

2 Likes

Yes never use quick resume at all with this game, it doesn’t often respond so good leading to greater chances of CTD as well I’ve found. I’m pretty sure the console clearly hates it to as it almost has trouble doing it over other games or apps. The games far too demanding of the hardware in order to run it correctly.

For some reason the flight log issues come and go with me, way rare in recent times though so I think a sure sign of things getting better with some aspects.

I’ve pointed out before how the sim is it’s own entity, it often does things when and if it wants to with no apparent rhyme or reason.

1 Like

I had a great flight around the UK this morning (though very foggy, jolly ole UK) everything is running smooth. Most add ons I have work but a couple I have uninstalled to make it play as it does.

I would be nice to hear that MS is working to resolve some OS bugs that have been causing CTD with add ons. Until then I am staying away from airports as upgrades.

I do think that DX12 will really help Xbox as far as optimization with graphics, that should elevate the game for console use.

I am loving my combination of Hotas/controller/chat pad (as keyboard) it works great and makes for a compact setup.

4 Likes

I notice a lot of criticism about MSFS on XBOX.
I have to say that I had been using FS on PC for years, but I am pleasantly surprised with the results on XBOX.
The graphics are beautiful, the market place allows to make the simulator evolve, you can plug accessories on the console (keyboard, mouse, hotas…)
Also I find the game stable knowing that patches and other updates are frequently available
I am very happy to have chosen to buy an X-Series !!!

Have a good flight!

16 Likes

Right though? I crash very rarely. The game looks and runs amazingly these days. I see people dealing with a crazy amount of problems on both sides, But PC players are having issues that arent as easily remedied it seems. Im actually glad they focused on optimization for console. My favorite aircraft of all time are hanging in limbo though. I am disappointed every Thursday now.

1 Like

The console optimisation also helped loads of mid level PC’s run FS faster too. before then I think it was a struggle for frame rates even on mid level systems.

3 Likes

I loaded the Carenado C170B on my PC and selected my favorite livery — the polished aluminum with blue accent paint — and woah! the difference to the Series S/X is massively worse. The polished aluminum looks just outrageous on the Xbox and like a poor quality reflective surface on my PC.

That was a shocker!

1 Like