Looking for a standard steam gauge Cessna 172

Looking for a standard Cessna 172 with
standard Cockpit (no G1000) equipped.
Any ideas, thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks Daniel

What edition of MSFS do you have? Standard, Deluxe, or Premium?

The Deluxe includes the Cessna 172 with “steam gauges”

no, standard version

It may be a while before any other steam gauge 172’s come out as the entire deluxe pack is about the same price as just one payware 3rd party aircraft so there may not be a lot of demand.

I am sure eventually someone will sell one that has a few extra’s like floats and a tundra/taildragger version to distinguish it from the generic MS version but it may be a while.

In terms of GA singles, the Bonanza with the freeware improvement mod or the turbo mod are both good, the Jabiru pack and Carenado Mooney on the marketplace are reasonable options and there is a really good version of the Piaggio P149 you can buy direct. Also both Carenado and Just Flight have Piper Arrows due for release soon.

you confirm my thoughts
but with the Piper Arrow is a good one. That‘s one of the planes i flew due my flight training, thanks for the recommendations!

Dear all, not sure whether this post is in its right location, please correct me if I am wrong.
MSFS Standard comes with a Cessna 172 Skyhawk with G1000 GPS. What if for training if I prefer the old classic style without glass display? Is there an easy way to get this? Are aircraft in MSFS always payware add-ons or are there any free models available for testing?

Thanks!

It’s part of the premium version, but AFAIK the upgrade process is more expensive than it would be if you’d brought that version to begin with.

PA-28 is perhaps a good alternative?

The Cessna 172 with a steam cockpit is available if you upgrade to the Premium Deluxe version.

4 Likes

right now your only option is to upgrade to the premium deluxe version, as said already.
There is no other Steam C172 around.

I use it too, “for training” as im in the process of the PPL. However, as far as training in a sim goes, the flying part IMHO can not really be trained in a desktop-sim. Its more the procedures, checklists, navigation, etc.
Theoretically, if you dont want to spend the money, you could just use the C152 for example.

Also there are different C172 models IRL, the one i fly in real has a carburator, while the one in the sim does not. Also there are other small differences. But as said, this does not really matter for me, as im more training the checklists, procedures and navigation instead of the actual flying.

2 Likes

The Cessna 172 with a steam cockpit is available if you upgrade to the Premium Deluxe version, by almost effectively purchasing MSFS again as the Premium Deluxe version.

ie The Update price is far more than the DIFFERENCE between the Standard and the Premiun/Deluxe version.

1 Like

I just want to edit my statement a lil bit. The speeds of the C172 in the sim and the behavior is more or less correct and good enough. I still will say you can or should not train the flying part in a desktop-sim. But atleast you get a good feel for the power settings and the speeds if you train circuits and stuff. Also, thanks to the great scenery MSFS has, it helps a lot to do the flight to an unknown airfiled in the sim to get some references for visual navigation and where the references for the patterns are.

As we both dont fly in the US, where almost every airport (AFAIK) uses standard-patterns, and in the EU every small airfield has its own published procedures for the circuits, which are completely different to a standard-pattern most of the time, it does absolutely help to transfer it to the real world.

1 Like

I too made this mistake. Created a second account and purchased the Deluxe version. No regrets.
One account for HOTAS, one for yoke, pedals, tpm.

Why didn’t you simply buy the premium deluxe upgrade?

And why didn’t you create different profiles for different hardware controls?

Deluxe is enough. Deluxe contains gauge versions of 172 and 152. Additionally it have Baron G58, Diamond DV20 and Diamond DA40-TDI. You can buy deluxe upgrade from marketplace.

1 Like

One day, maybe, an A2A Accu-sim C172 Trainer for MSFS (One can dream !! )

6 Likes

I really hope they will focus on that soon
 it would be soooo great to have it again in MSFS.

Try the Robin, it has a very nice steam cockpit and actually feels and flies closer to the 172N I fly in real life, than the modeled 172S. Except maybe both are a bit too fast. The 172 I fly cruises around 90-95kt.

@heis22012973
I’va sended you a private message

For the money and steam guages, you can hardly do better than the Just Flight Arrow or Turbo Arrow. All circuit breakers work, it models engine damage, oil burn and sometimes fouled plugs. Sounds and flight model are excellent.

3 Likes

Got to wonder what the download link was in that message !!! :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

1 Like