Looking for Updates black screen blue bar stuck

Hi @ReverentGlint71 ,

trying a re-login will not help in your case ?

You wrote about a switch from wifi to ethernet: Is ensured that your “connection” works well ?

Not sure, but possible your cache becomes invalid… tried already removing it ?

PS: I link it with

Hi MichaMMA

Thks a lot for your feed back.

Yes my internet connection is perfectly working. This the first thing I have checked at of course.

Now I’m a 68 old sim flyer and all these computer matters are far from being my cup of tea as you can imagine. Just as well I’m not english native speaking and it does not help either. So please could you tell me what is this CACHE. I’ve seen that several times but cannot figure it out.
How to reach it.
I bought from the store but now whatever the way I’m trying to open i.e store icon or X-Box pass the result is the same. Could it be a problem linked to the automatic windows updates ??

Have a nice evening. Thks.

I meant the in-game “Rolling Cache” ( and in case you use it “the Manual Cache” ).

The Rolling Cache file is called “ROLLINGCACHE.CCC” and if you not in-game changed it, it lies within the installation folder.

In case of Steam:
C:\Users\XXUSERNAMEXXX\AppData\Roaming

In case of MS-Store:
C:\Users\XXUSERNAMEXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

You can try to remove this file ( or simple rename if not sure :wink: ).

PS.: I heard that with 60 the life just begins :slight_smile:

EDIT: I forgot…
I’am not sure about the two different installations ( pass, none-pass ) because I own the Steam version. Windows updates should not run in parallel. But for this you can easy check the windows update settings page and let install possible pending updates.

I first turn on my Windows desktop computer I get an X-Box screen which advises me to update the X-Box program. I then put the cursor on the X at the right hand upper corner of the screen to end the X-Box program. I then run the MSFS program as an administrator (right lick on the MSFS icon and the program starts OK. The other issue I wonder about is the size of the Rolling Cache file in the MSMS directory. It is initially 8 Gb and you can change the size from within the program Data tab. I have read somewhere if you delete this file the MSFS program will re-create it. I wish I had more concrete information or give you butI’m not at all sure exactly what the problem is.

this is what we want here and hope the issue was an invalid cache. If the application starts, we can easy disable or change the size within the game-menue.

You can delete this file using Explorer and MSFS will re-create the file the next time the applications boots.

Ok I have renamed it and after trying to restart the sim still the black screen. The new Rolling Cache is issued but it does not change anything.

68 Man 68. I wish I was still 60… However the brain is still clear enough so far… :grinning: So I will keep on trying to find out something to settle this mess.

Thks for your help anyway.

hmmmm :frowning:

It is just strange that you are able to fly 5/6 times… If there are no other changes with your system it points normaly to a account issue. If no updates in MS-Store available then normaly a re-login ( store and xbox ) should help :thinking:

EDIT: here is a similar thread…

Possible you can try this FastLaunch Param too… But is only a guess… not sure how this should have an effect.

I have never had an issue with the “black screen of death” until yesterday. The only thing that I know of that changed before this happened is my computer installed 2 windows 10 updates. After these updates were installed I attempted to start msfs and well you all know the rest. Going to perform a complete reinstall of msfs today and see if it works.

THks MichaMMA. WIll try and report but will do at the end of the week only. Too busy currently.

Just seen the outcome of update 3 and received an email from zendesk announcing it together with a few advices to try. I will first try to download the update and see the result. Will keep you posted.

HI MichaMMA

Eventually I made it using the hammer to kill the fly… (And possibly with the help of the new update III recently issued). What I’ve done is as follows :

1. Have re-installed a fresh Windows 10 (After having secured my files of course)

2. Have re-installed a fresh XBox live (Checked at the right credential as well). So far it seems that now the connection is working well everytime I’m launching my PC

3. Have updated the Microsoft store apps

4. Have updated Windows 10 (Although 2 updates cannot be properly downloaded so far but it does not seem to affect MSFS)

5. Have re-installed and updated MSFS with update III eventually

And you know what … I can fly again.

Anyway many thanks for your kind help.

1 Like

oh… that was really the hammer method. But at least the result is okay :slight_smile:

Hope you stay without issues and Good flying :slight_smile:

Good flight to you as well

HI MichaMMA

Well back to the trouble. Everything was ok up to the very last XBox update. Then about 2 days ago I have faced a new problem being that after game start and arriving at the welcome page (Where you can prepare your flight plan) I got stucked on the hangar page showing the chosen aircraft. Then by clicking on either WELCOME or STORE or OPTION buttons it was just changing the view of the stored aircraft. No way to get the sim starting actually.
Now since yesterday, and without having change or modify anything, I’m back to the black screen and looping blue loading line after the UPDATE CHECK when loading the sim.

So I really think definitly that all these troubles are only because this beta XBox live is a real mess and that neither our PC configuration nor ASOBO work are concerned. MS is responsible for this and they.d better stop cheating their clients.

Back to a full reinstall anyway unless you would have found any solution on your side.

k.rgds

Same here. Started happening last night and now this morning. First time I’ve had troubles. Nothing changed. Community folder empty. Rolling cache deleted. Multiple attempts to start the game all end with blue bar stuck half way across welcome screen and Task Manager reports msfs has stopped responding.

I agree - I think it’s xbox related. Somebody on the forums yesterday addressed me by my OLD gamertag name which I changed about 6 weeks ago.
Can someone confirm what my tag is appearing as above please?

Yes you’re appearing as wazitdoingnow.

You’re ‘‘lucky’’ having troubles only for the first time. For me it’s lasting since early february when they have launched this bloody XBox live. Being on a forum I can’t name it as it should of course but …That’s really what I think. And I do consider it as a scandal the way MS is cheating us all the time.

Only the fantastic ASOBO’s work is preventing me to ask for a reimbursement to MS. Hoping that in the end they will wake up and stop bull…

Meantime will keep on flying on P3D v5.1 with my PMDG’s 777 or 737. Nothing’s better in the market so far with respect to aircrafts behaviour.

Thanks for confirming.
What’s really bloody annoying is I didn’t do anything.
I went flying yesterday. Shut down the rig.
Went to go flying later that evening and now this. My rig is a stand alone rig just for MSFS 2020 - that’s all it does - and now it can’t even do that.

You welcome.

Well no one’s doing anything special but these MS jokers in the background kidding with their XBox which we don’t really need actually. Former FSX was of course not at this level but at least it was operating smoothly without this bloody Box. Just as well for P3D so far.

Having a PC only dedicated to the sim or not does not change anything.

However I’m sorry I have no clue to sort all this mess out and I’m currently doing (Once more) a full reinstallation of MSFS. So for at least the next 7 hours I’d rather get outside and care about the garden… Holly s…

I’ve done a reinstall of the 1.34 Gb Store file and pointed the Package download to my existing D:/ drive - and MSFS is now thinking about it.
Win 10 Activity Monitor shows lots of Asobo files being Read and Write so I guess it’s a sit on it and wait a few hours. See what happens.

All fun.
NOT.