Looking forward to the 22nd - VR!

So, I am sure some negative folks without VR will comment but well done to MSFS for bringing in VR as part of the package!
Looking forward to it.

Don’t let the haters get you down - remember – haters gonna hate…

Wait for the yeah but posts…

36 Likes

I totally agree mate​:+1::smiley:

7 Likes

Yeah but… I’m really, really looking forward to the 22nd VR update. I also really hope my PC will be able to run it adequately and that the graphics quality is good enough.

What are your pc specs? :+1::blush:

RTX 3800, 32GB Ram @2400mhz, but still on a i7-6700K. I can run it adequately on 4K, but I do have quite a lot of stutters when loading in scenery.

I’ve never done VR before, but just found a Reverb G2 on the porch. Now if only that Ryzen 5950x and RTX 3090 would get here sooner.

3 Likes

I don’t have the equipment to run VR but I’m happy for those who do that they’ll get a treat. :slight_smile: I hope it works well and that most people able to run it have a good experience with it!

11 Likes

yes we all waitnig for VR… but it looks it wont be 100% VR this time, because virtual controllers wont be used… this is really strange for me honestly…

2 Likes

My G2s are getting here on the 22nd… We don’t usually “do” xmas at our house, but this year, courtesy of Asobo and my late father, I’m doing it just for me!!

4 Likes

Same here, have an oculus that has been collecting dust forever now lol

you can almost hear the deluge of crying when people complain “it doesn’t work” or some ■■■■ like that

Or probably more accurately posts like “cmon asobo, aerofly 2 has better VR than you”

2 Likes

According to the experience of using VR on XPLANE11, I am most concerned about whether PFE aND nd can be seen clearly in normal sitting position.

I am ready. 3-day-old build with 10900K/3090 working smooth as silk in FS at the moment. No crashes or microstutters. My CH Eclipse yoke worked out of the box better than it ever has in FSX or P3D. Actually have a 1:1 response.

I better cache some scenery asap.

Hopefully they will have some kind of support for Oculus Quest with Oculus Link.

1 Like

Will it be for all VRs or only HP?

WMR (HP), Oculus, Valve. Basically all.

1 Like

Well, we all know from the 2D experience that MSFS can really be CPU limited and stutter for unknown reasons, and we know VR can be demanding, but I think with the 3080 you’ll be fine with that CPU, especially if you accept that anything over 30 FPS is plenty.

On this website, you can see how well the 3080 can run MSFS in 2D.

https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/microsoft-flight-simulator/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080/intel-core-i5-8400-2-80ghz/ultra

I only trust the “Ultra” numbers, even when I use a combination of medium, high, and ultra (the high FPS numbers shown at medium and low are unrealistic). The chart at the bottom shows how the CPU affects it.

What’s hard for VR users to realize sometimes is how many pixels they’re trying to push. Even a Rift S is over 1.6x 1440P, and that’s not counting the 1.5x super sampling that Steam does by default, if you’re running through Steam VR. The G2 is a huge number of pixels. Even at 80% scaling, it’s 1.5x 4K!

1 Like

The G2 is 1.1x 4k isn’t it? 2160x2160x2 (G2) vs 3840x2160 (4k)?

1 Like

Because of correcting for the lens, it appears that VR headsets, even with no super sampling selected, render at greater than the display resolution. From what I’ve seen, the render resolution of the G2 is 3156x3088, per eye. At 100% scaling that’s well over 2x 4K. At 80% scaling, it’s still 1.5x 4K. But 80% of a G2 is still incredible!

1 Like

My big hope with VR is knowing how big of a performance hit it has on the CPU, on top of how poorly optimized CPU performance is in this engine, that they’ve found something to increase multi core performance and we’re no longer bottlenecked by a mainthread pegging one core at 100%. If they can fix that single core bottleneck then the fps floodgates will open.

1 Like

We all hope that. :slight_smile:

But I think if they’d done it they’d have said something about massive performance gains for all users coming; that’s the sort of thing you shout from the rooftops.